rwcstang

Bad Day today

Hey Everyone,

Well something happend that no owner wants to experience. here is a brief story:

I took my car back to my shop a week ago to have the valve seals issue corrected as I didn't have the time to do this myself. This afternoon, I got the dreaded call from the Shop. One of their customers who visited his shop backed up into my car! :( from what I was told, the customer that hit my car is going to pay the damages but what I am worried about is I doubt any of the body shops are able to blend the paint since I dont have a paint code...though I know there is a machine that can match it to the closet color code, i still think were going to run into blending issues.

what are some precautions I should take? this is the first experience that a shop is repsonible. Though the shop is taking care of it, Im going to probably hold off from the 5 speed conversion just in case something happens.

I hope this gets resolved soon. I hope the Mustang gods well be in my favor...

C795F4FB-BC3E-4770-9757-0C7B5F2821A3_zps

B0C66962-A31B-481B-A990-7054C8ECC4BB_zps

BD977D39-D836-4DFF-B490-27F7758FA830_zps

ok, for some odd reason, the side of your car looks dull but the trunk lid looks shiny . . is this the case?

a very, very, very good high end shop can blend it if it is shiny and has clear coat, but you will still be able to see the blend if you look closely, however, it will not be horrible.

they will most likely only paint the side of the quarter and blend it above the wheel well.

i would guess it might cost around $750.00 or more at a good shop . . if the quarter panel extension is bent, it will be more..

Make sure YOUR insurance company is working for you. Yes tell them.

Do not let them pick the place to do the repairs.

Any "reputable" paint & body shop will only do absolutely whats necessary.

Find a restoration shop that deals with vintage cars.

I have first hand experience on this.

By the way, Hagerty is my company and thats what they told me.

I`m happy w/ the results.

John

Thanks for the heads up, ill be sure to do that today.

-I wanted to go with hagerty, but my car did not qualify. :( I currently have allstate and will talk to them to see what they can offer me.

Make sure YOUR insurance company is working for you. Yes tell them.

Do not let them pick the place to do the repairs.

Any "reputable" paint & body shop will only do absolutely whats necessary.

Find a restoration shop that deals with vintage cars.

I have first hand experience on this.

By the way, Hagerty is my company and thats what they told me.

I`m happy w/ the results.

John

Metallic silver is difficult to get right. You'll probably want to find out who the best painter in town is and use him.

Sheesh, what's up with all these Mustangs getting hit? Enough already.

Metallic silver is difficult to get right. You'll probably want to find out who the best painter in town is and use him.

Sheesh, what's up with all these Mustangs getting hit? Enough already.

I used to work for a distributor that sold Spies hecker, dupont and nason, it was practically hard to blend silvers. I have a feeling though this will have to get a repaint...

The damage doesn't look bad.  The blending might cause small issues.  I agree with RPM, silvers are a more difficult color to match.  Although your clear coat helps.

When you pick up the car after repairs don't just focus on the damaged area.  Look at it from a distance.  If they try to paint match, they might spray the entire quarter panel and much more to blend far from the damaged area where you wouldn't expect it.  When I was a GM mechanic the body shop used to joke that if people would look at the body and paint repairs from across the street they would notice half of their car was a different color.  It's sometimes true, but I never thought it was too funny. 

From my experiences most reputable shops will tell you up front how well they can match the paint.  Maybe you will get a complete repaint out of the deal.  If so, you've probably already learned to pick a standard color.

Good luck.  It should be fine at a reputable shop.

yeah, that shop will handle it from what I was told but i will be on top of them just to make sure things go smoothly, I will also visit the shop to look at the car.

Also, the customer who hit my car with his car takes full responsibility and says he will pay all damages but that's what everyone says until they see the estimate... lol

if it leads to a repaint, most likely I will go with Ingot Silver from ford, at least i will have an exact color code any case this ever happens in the near future. but if they do blend the paint i will most likely be looking closely to see there isn't any patches..

after that call i haven't been able to think straight, out of all places my baby gets hurt when she's not with me. I know its repairable, but all that hard work I had to put in/put up with just went bye bye in a few seconds... I still cringe looking at those pictures.

well I hope things will go smoothly tho, but for now Im going to be on top of them and make sure everything gets done correctly.

no shop or insurance company will repaint the whole thing.

if you have an orig paint car that is lightly faded but still looks very decent and you had that exact same damage, the insurance would only pay for a reapair even though the new paint will obviously look a lot different.

oh, I know the insurance won't pay for the respray But, if it does lead to it I have to put the 5 speed conv on hold and figure out how am I going to pay for the respray, which is what I don't want to do.

the paint job is less then 2-3 years old, it just sucks that this incident occurred, I guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens down the road.  

no shop or insurance company will repaint the whole thing.

if you have an orig paint car that is lightly faded but still looks very decent and you had that exact same damage, the insurance would only pay for a reapair even though the new paint will obviously look a lot different.

Any paint with a level of metallic in it is somewhat difficult to match, silver is particularily bad. Some light conditions and angles it will look fine, the next day with different surroundings, it won't. I would get as much as I could from the damage, and pay out of pocket for a complete repaint, using a factory color for easier matching. Also, I know it is hindsight, but whenever you paint a car a custom color, always always always pay for extra paint to bring home with you. Lesson learned on this one.

Surprised Hagerty turned you down. What reason did they give?

Yeah, I think thats what's going to happen and i'll probably going in for a repaint, I have to speak with the shop today and follow up with them.

As for Hagerty, I didn't qualify because I have no garage or a structure to place the car in. So I've been looking into those portable garage or something, I like allstate but they can only do so much for a vintage car.

Any paint with a level of metallic in it is somewhat difficult to match, silver is particularily bad. Some light conditions and angles it will look fine, the next day with different surroundings, it won't. I would get as much as I could from the damage, and pay oput of pocket for a complete, using a factory color for easier matching. Also, I know it is hindsight, but whenever you paint a car a custom color, always always always paint for extra paint to bring home with you. Lesson learned on this one.

Surprised Hagerty turned you down. What reason did they give?

I have Hagerty for my 1969 Mach 1.  I have never needed it, so for now I can say its great.  I used to have it insured with Allstate along with our daily drivers.  About four years ago my agent strongly suggested changing to Hagerty because with Allstate the car is only valued by things such as Kelly Blue Book.  Therefore, Allstate would easily total the car as a result of a minor accident and it certainly wouldn't be for the true value of the car.  My agent actually set it up the Hagerty policy for me.  Plus Hagerty is much less expensive than Allstate.

If you have enough property, I would definitely build some type of garage structure if that is what is needed to change insurance companies.

Yeah, I think thats what's going to happen and i'll probably going in for a repaint, I have to speak with the shop today and follow up with them.

As for Hagerty, I didn't qualify because I have no garage or a structure to place the car in. So I've been looking into those portable garage or something, I like allstate but they can only do so much for a vintage car.

Ah, I thought they turned you down because of the car. It makes sense that they require shelter.

That sucks about your car. I recently had a small incident with my car but trivial compared to yours. As said above, I would find the best painter in town and get an estimate from him before the insurance company of the guy who hit you comes back and says here is $750 and tries to end it there. I would also be leery of 'letting the shop handle it'. You need to find the best place to get it repaired and then submit your cost to the guy's insurance company. If it means having the entire car re-sprayed because it is a custom paint job then that is the amount you submit. Negotiate from there.

I would definitely look at Hagerty. I have had them for 5 or 6 years and they are great. I had StateFarm on my Corvette and switched to Hagerty...not a month later, I had a small accident and Hagerty took care of me. I went to a corvette shop in Dallas that specializes in restorations and got an estimate of what it would cost. Then the appraiser Hagerty sent actually wrote me a check for slightly more. I wouldn't go with anyone else.

I would definitely look at Hagerty. I have had them for 5 or 6 years and they are great. I had StateFarm on my Corvette and switched to Hagerty...not a month later, I had a small accident and Hagerty took care of me. I went to a corvette shop in Dallas that specializes in restorations and got an estimate of what it would cost. Then the appraiser Hagerty sent actually wrote me a check for slightly more. I wouldn't go with anyone else.

He has stated twice that Hagerty won't cover him.

Hello all, I just wanted to update you on whats going, and hopefully you guys can give me some tips. but here's a little backstory to my situation:

The person that hit me tried to pay out of pocket, but had to go to a shop to get an estimate and the painter refused to work on it and said no and that the car will need to be repainted. the painter even said it was single stage which is not true, this is a 2 stage paint job. anyways, the person that hit me gave me his USAA insurance info so now im dealing with the insurance directly.

When I called the insurance company I let them know I am very concerned this will lead to a repaint which i will not foot the bill. they explained most likely I will have to pay the other half since they do no cover re-paints (Which i understand) but I am not going to paint it. They also said they can warranty their work if I decide to take it to their recommended shops but thats only the work they provide so still they won't pay for the re-spray.

so now I am at the point where I'm slightly stuck, is there anything else I should ask or do? should I speak with the body shops and let them know my concern? or since should I deal with the repair shops insurance since it was under their watch? should I call my insurance and go through them instead?

USAA gave me 2 options:

1. email me an estimate and send me a check so I can take it to the shop I prefer.

2. the Insurance will take it to their "Recommended" collision body shop which is Caliber Collision or Cooks Collision in Sacramento which is covered by warranty.

hopefully you guys can give me some insight on what should I do as I am totally stuck now and it really bumming me out.

I don't see why you would need a complete repaint.  Any good shop should be able to blend that in. They will probably have to blend it inot the door and into the trunk lid.  A buddy of mine owns a body shop and did some quarter work on my '70 when I tapped a trailer and he blended it and you couldn't tell there was ever any damage or that it had even been repainted.

im not sure what your question is . . i told you what would happen, which is what happened so i dont know why you are surprised.

by all means call your insurance and explain the situation to them but again, if you want a repaint, you will have to pay the difference if your insurance won't.

as far as what shop to take it to, get an estimate from a well known high end shop so you have more info . . also, some insurance shops are also high end shops but very few.

I don't see why you would need a complete repaint.  Any good shop should be able to blend that in. They will probably have to blend it inot the door and into the trunk lid.  A buddy of mine owns a body shop and did some quarter work on my '70 when I tapped a trailer and he blended it and you couldn't tell there was ever any damage or that it had even been repainted.

they will not blend that into the door or deck lid.