Glenn83

Question for the guys running manual disc brakes

Is anyone with manual brakes running this type of 7/8 bore master cylinder from wilwood, if so how does it perform?? Reading a lot of differnt forums a lot of guys really like there manual brakes if set up correctly.post-37856-0-63082500-1429526844.jpg

Im running manual 4 wheel disc's.  I don't know much about the master because it was installed by the previous owner, but it looks like just a regular Ford master cylinder.  I do know the car stops great and I love the non power discs.

That is designed to work with the stock Mustang brakes, as they have low requirements for fluid volume. Easy to push in a manual system, being such a small bore size.

Beware using a 7/8 bore with wilwood, or any 4 or 6 piston calipers with high volume requirements. I learned the hard expensive way chasing this issue. Power or manual, makes no difference with volumes.

What brakes do you have for this MC to work with?

Any designs for bigger/better calipers in future?

Honestly, they don't work any better, they are just lighter and look cool. The 4 bolt top plate, with the little allen bolts are finicky too. If you are not racing, maybe not much gain there.....

I have 13" cobra brake conversion and I'm running whichever size MC street or track originally included in the kit. I have been thinking about either downsizing the MC size or going with a power booster MC kit. Pedal is extremely firm and difficult to push, obviously car stops well though.

If you want to convert to a power booster I recomend the one from TUFF STUFF. The booster is actually the same one as used on the boss429. It is much shorter than the stock one so it leaves that area with more room. I have 4wheel disc on my car with a willwood MC 1" bore and the system works great. Also it is a direct bolt on with the original power booster bolt pattern

Bob

as buckey demon ,mentioned, one size does not fit all . . the wilwood 7/8 works great when properly paired with the other parts . . as i mentioned on your other thread, the brake mfg can calculate what size piston you need . . as far as quality goes, the wilwood 7/8 master is very good.

I have 13" cobra brake conversion and I'm running whichever size MC street or track originally included in the kit. I have been thinking about either downsizing the MC size or going with a power booster MC kit. Pedal is extremely firm and difficult to push, obviously car stops well though.

a smaller master will increase the range/distance the pedal operates over and will cause it to brake closer to the floor.

going from 1" down to 15/16 will increase the operating range of the pedal by around 3/4".

Not a bad idea as long as you are cautious. First thing is to identify the MC and the bore size. You may have to take the MC off the car and dismantle if you cannot identify it by casting number or some discussions with SoT. It is likely a 1 inch, which is a safe bet for either manual. or boosted brakes. 1 inch is a bit hard to push in a manual brake system.

Once you know, you can downsize. There are a few factors involved, so you wont know until you have the new Mc plumbed in. I firmly think 7/8th inch bore is too small for 4 wheel discs. 15/16ths will probably work, but you just cant be sure. Not much difference in those two sizes, but you are looking for the smallest bore that will provide the fluid volume to work your brakes.

Other alternative is to put on a booster with your current MC, also a good idea, and you will have no doubts about the functionality of your brake system.