smh00n

Manual clutch pedal conversion - 1970

Hi all

New Guy here, playing around with a Calypso Coral 1970 Sportsroof Grabber pack.

I am converting from auto to manual trans, and just wanted to check if I had the clutch pedal stuff right. I've ordered a pedal and cable conversion kit from Modern Driveline, and as far as I can see all I need is the return srping, bracket for same and the rubber bumper. Is that all I need for the pedal and inerior stuff? I've already got the shaft rebuild kit from Scott Drake.

Don't want to be nearly finished the conversion and find out I am missing critical parts.

Thanks

Stephen

Factory power brakes.

Everything I have read/researched tells me the pedal boxes are the same and you can just fit on a clutch pedal. I will cut down the pedal pad to the smaller manual trans size.

I converted my 69 Mach 1 from auto to manual while I was restoring the car.  I think they are very similar.  However, I found a manual trams power brake pedal instead of cutting my original auto trans power brake pedal.  Aside from pedals, on the interior you have the pivot shaft, retainers, shaft bushings are usually already installed in the pedal support frame from the factory.  There is also a short strong compression type clutch assist spring that is isn't easy to get to with the lower and upper dash installed.  And a mount bracket for the clutch assist spring that attaches to the pedal support frame.  I think the clutch assist spring is only needed for original style 3 finger pressure plates.

If you are using a diaphragm type clutch, YOU DO NOT WANT THE SPRING.

You will find it extremely hard to push the pedal with the spring there.

As for what you need, is just the clutch pedal and trim or replace you automatic brake pedal, pedal pads, and you should go ahead and do the roller bearing conversion that modern driveline sells as well.

I bought the entire kit from Modern Driveline, they specifically told me not to use the spring.

You also do not need a clutch pedal stop. With the clutch properly adjusted, you won't be over extending it, but I have seen people make one anyways.

EDIT

If I remember correctly, in order to instal their cable clutch bracket onto the clutch pedal, you have to cut off the return spring arm anyways.

If you get the clutch pedal with the manual brake pedal as a set. You can grind off the weld holding the pad on and swap the pad to your power pedal verses cutting the bad down.

I have done that on a number of them and it looks more original that way

Bob

I just finished my conversion from a c-4 to a toploader...tried 2 clutch pedals both were to long compared to my pdb pedal...cut 1/2 out of it to match the rest..I am glad I did it...makes it more fun to drive around..

Thanks for the input. The kit turned up today and looking at the cable instal kit it does say not to use the return spring. I hadn't noticed that before which is a pain as I just bought a new one for 30 bucks.

I am getting the clutch pedal from MD as well so hopefully it all works. Brake pedals are another $150+ so will see if I really need one.

Will definately be using a diaphragm clutch so weight will be 'reasonable' and have the roller bearing kit complete as well.

You dont need to buy a new brake pedal. You can use the new manual brake PAD as a template to trim your existing brake pedal. This can be done with a hack saw, or cut off wheels if you have those. Don't waste 150 bucks.

Umm, that CJPP kit is for Manual brakes, and clutch.  He has power booster brakes.  The kit is a shaft for both clutch and brake pedal.

A suitable solution is a roller bearing clutch kit from Mustang Steve, or similar vendors.

Yes Barn. I thought it a bit soon for you to be asking about the state of my shaft, being as we barely know each other.

Like this forum as it only has the cars that matter :)

Yes Barn. I thought it a bit soon for you to be asking about the state of my shaft, being as we barely know each other.

Like this forum as it only has the cars that matter :)

1. yes but imo, i think life is short so there is little time for dinner and drinks first.

2. ouch.

3. unfortunately you are not likely to see much of this here.

Australian+beers.jpg

Anyway, everybody is going on about the clutch pedal pivot shaft bushings.  In reality, if his car was always an automatic and with power brakes, the shaft bushings should be installed in the pedal support from the factory and would still be in new condition.  When did the conversion on my 69 Mach 1 that was the case.

Fosters is only drunk by Yanks and Poms who are yet to realise the massive con we have pulled by selling you junk beer and telling you it is an Australian icon. You want beer?

Our girls are actually much prettier.....

Hahaha

Fosters is the almost the worst beer ever, unit I tried Budweiser and Millers!!