metalgraver

Rear Suspension

Hello everybody. I am trying to rebuild a 1969 Mach 1 that is pretty much a basket case, go to the topic, "Measurement" for some pictures of the car. Any way since this car was so far gone and most of the sheet metal needed to be replaced I decided not to try and keep the car original, even though it is an all matching numbers car, all original rust, that is. So I thought I would lower the stance and up grade the handling with a IFS from R&C which drops the front 2". Problem is I have not figured out how to drop the rear end to match unless I go with R&C`s 4 link rear suspension. Another chunk of $, so I was hoping to do it with leaf springs and shocks. Since I do not plan on running this car on a drag strip I think that with a sway bar and traction bars it should work fine. But since I really do not know what I am doing and learning as I go, I thought I would throw it out there for discussion. Her is a picture of a car that I like the stance on. It dose have the R&C IFC and 4 link system, but I am trying to get there for a little less $ in the back. Any body have any idea`s or have done this and can shoot me a picture of their car and how they did it.    

post-37681-0-72743100-1429274956.jpg

If that is the stance you want tho the 4.5 leaf will be lower in the back than that for sure LOL

I would agree . The mid eye leaf will hold the car about where that car is in the photo. A reverse eye leaf will be lower than that.

That car looks to be about an inch lower than stock. That's what the mid eye leaf does. The reverse spring is about a 2" drop from stock. The top of the tire would match the fender lip with a reverse eye leaf. We have both on our site if your interested. 

the rear of that car is around 1 1/2 inches HIGHER than stock, no doubt about it . . if you want that height on the rear, buy air shocks and reinforce the upper shock mount or get your springs re arced . . a properly arced mid eye will lower that car . . not all springs are the same..

consider comparing to these cars to determine ride height compared to something more stock. 

I personally try to gauge them referencing the axle centerline as opposed to the tire/rim location (unless I'm certain what those sizes are).

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0510-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-mach1/photo-gallery/#11

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1002-1969-ford-mustang-mach-1/photo-gallery/#2

Don't they make drop spindles to use with the original style front suspensions?  I would be surprised if you would have to go with the R&C kit just for that reason.