Sign in to follow this  
Kingfish

Painting/Dyeing Dash Pad & Console

Has anyone had any experience painting a 69 Mach 1 dash pad and/or console.   I think all dash pads and consoles mostly come in black. I think you can find some new dash pads in a white like color. Unfortunately trying to find a NEW dark red/maroon dash pad or console for a 69 Mach 1 is pretty much impossible. Some of the plastic pieces I have in my Mach have worn some over the years and I can see a little white coming through so I'm assuming that a lot of the interior pieces were painted originally.   I was quoted $270 to paint the console and $180 to paint the dash by American Mustang here in Sacramento, CA. Labor rate is $90 an hour.

I'm somewhat concerned how things will turn out.  I have a single split in the speaker grill of the dash pad so I'm thinking about living with it for awhile and either repairing it somehow or replacing it down the road.  I thought I would start with the console since my original is long gone!

So to make a short story long! Has anyone had any interior pieces painted?  And, does anyone have any suggestions on other ways to go about this?

The dash and console would be coming from Daniel Carpenter Mustang at $399 apiece.

Thanks for any input!  Kingfish (Steve)

I've painted parts in the past and plan on doing it again when I put my interior back in.  However, never did a dash.  It's easy enough though.   Clean the part, use the conditioner spray and then spray it with the color of your choice.  There's a whole line of sprays for our cars.

No need to pay someone to do that - no real skill other than patience and a somewhat steady hand.

The dash paint will likely eventually crack or flake in some places . . if the paint has a catalyzer, it will last longer . . you can use vinyl paint on the dash . . sems makes nice colors . . you can also get some custom matched etc.

when using spray cans, i use lacquer or vinyl paint on the console too.

clean the oil off the dash and console with lacquer thinner etc.

you can also spray them with adhesion promoter after cleaning . . sems makes some also.

http://www.eastwood.com/bulldog-adhesion-promoter-aerosol-15oz-etpo123b.html

Use vinyl dye on the soft parts, lacquer on the hard plastic. NPD carries SEM products which worked well for me. Clean thoroughly and use the vinyl prep, also available at NPD. I dyed my dash 4 years ago and it still looks great

post-1146-0-10066800-1429145831.jpg

+2 on using the adhesion promoter, the previous owner painted the console lid on mine without using the promoter and it was flaking off almost immediately. I restored my steering wheel pad using the promoter and SEM dye from NPD, turned out great.  

Before- rear seat fill panels - they are always chipped and scuffed, and these were cracked through.

IMG01055-20140326-0100.jpg

some fiberglass/epoxy filler repair, some sanding and shaping

IMG01063-20140326-0830.jpg

IMG01067-20140326-2234.jpg

IMG01068-20140326-2234.jpg

IMG01069-20140326-2243.jpg

And then some vinyl paint

IMG01072-20140326-2324.jpg

IMG01073-20140326-2324.jpg

Cheap, good adhesion, good color, and so far (13 months) good wear

IMG01074-20140326-2325.jpg

IMG01076-20140326-2325.jpg

IMG01077-20140326-2325.jpg

I have used SEM products for interior plastic and vinyl parts.  Started using it back in about 1982 when I was in high school.  I never had any issues with it.  It held up great on a black vinyl top on my Challenger back in 1982.  Sold the car in 1985 and still looked great. No flaking, fading or anything.  It comes in aerosol cans and guarts, etc. for use in a spray gun.  Clean surface and several light coats are the two key components.  Most body and paint stores sell it.  If you go to a body and paint store they can usually tell you how to clean the surface and if anything else is needed.  You can also mail order it from NPD, and even Summit Racing has some.

You can easily do it yourself.  Your throwing your money away paying a shop for that work.

I know I am resurrecting this post from the dead, but I am getting ready to dye my dash dark red and I think it belongs with this post.  I will be getting the SEM brand paint because I with a different brand on a used dash, and it didn't look or feel right.  My question is... NPD has a dark red and a dark red metallic.  Which one is the correct one that will match the stock interior?  Seems like the red upholstery and door panels are kinda metallicish, but I just want to be sure.  Phil, your dash looks great!  what paint did you use?  Thanks!

Also, which adhesion promoter is the right one?  is it the 39863 or 77721.  I assume the 38363 sand free is not the right stuff for the dash, but would be correct for the hard plastic trim pieces.  How many cans of paint are needed for the dash pad?  Thanks for any input!

19 hours ago, bigperm2 said:

Phil, your dash looks great!  what paint did you use?  Thanks!

I went the low-tech rattle can route. I tried a few brands but the best of the bunch were the SEM products from NPD. I had a lot of trouble getting a good match for the red; it is really hit or miss. I got lucky and used a good batch on the dash. If I were to do it again I might look to an automotive paint store to mix some for me. I think the color would be more reliable but who knows? You'll notice I used the 1968 color which I feel was a better match for the red than the maroon stuff they sell for 1969. 

DSCN2034.thumb.JPG.594ee4eb225112d4753408b49105d637.JPG

Thanks Phil, I took your advice and ordered the 68 color.  They still have it.  It's 5792R Dark red in the catalog, but the NPD tech said it the can is 5792 Dark "metallic" red,  just like in the picture.

I also ordered the fancy SEM soap, SEM prep and conditioner (38344) and the adhesion promoter (39863)

Let me know if anybody is seeing that I am doing something wrong!