Sign in to follow this  
metalgraver

Rags to Riches

Last time I wrote something on here I had just put the car up on a cart and pulled the rear end out. I have now come a long way and have actually started putting her back together. I found out a few things along the way. This was a one owner car out of Florida, and at one time she was hit on the rear passenger side. The frame was not bent so she is still square but the wheel well had crinkles in it and there was brazing on the B-pillar. Because she was from Florida she was a total rust bucket and I found this all out the hard way. I was suppose to only have to do some minor repairs and put the carburetor and drive shaft in and she would be a drivable car and probably would have been for some one not as particular as I am. I have since pulled off most of the sheet metal and started replacing it with all new parts. I have started putting the trunk floor back in and just need to weld the seam between the new floor pans and trunk floor. I have put in a new fire wall and need to finish the seam between the new floor pan and fire wall. Replaced the cowling, passenger outer rocker panel, and both outer cowlings. I have also deleted the air vents at the kick panels and welded in a solid panel. I have The 1/4 panels, tail light panel, wheel wells and trunk brace screwed in right now for fitment. As soon as I finish the trunk floor seam I will weld in the rest of the rear end. post-37681-0-02152400-1428956368.jpgpost-37681-0-55810900-1428956550.jpg   

After I get the back all welded up and the front radiator and aprons welded on I need to replace both A pillars above the cowling. I had a guy out in Carolina cut them out of a car he had out back and mail them to me. When I get that done I will need to put some filler where the 1/4 panels meet the roof. I am leaning towards, "All Metal filler" after I shoot the car with epoxy. Anybody use this stuff?post-37681-0-52482600-1429033157.jpgpost-37681-0-14143900-1429033203.jpg

I have used the metal filler in place of the lead and it seems to work nicely.  As with any filler, don't slather it on too thick.  Also "Muggy weld" low temp solder could be used, but this is best on trim.

After I get the back all welded up and the front radiator and aprons welded on I need to replace both A pillars above the cowling. I had a guy out in Carolina cut them out of a car he had out back and mail them to me. When I get that done I will need to put some filler where the 1/4 panels meet the roof. I am leaning towards, "All Metal filler" after I shoot the car with epoxy. Anybody use this stuff?attachicon.gif009.JPGattachicon.gif011.JPG

More work. I have crossed braced the car after I made sure that she was perfectly level and square. I need to put her on a rotisserie so I can weld the floor seams from the bottom side. As you can see in the first picture, I have finished the welds on the top side. While I have her on the rotisserie I will weld in the frame connectors and generally clean her up and epoxy primer and paint the underside.  

post-37681-0-68172500-1430413519.jpg

post-37681-0-52635200-1430413547.jpg