Footcutter11

Purchasing without a Title My Experience

I tought I would post my experience on this subject.

First obvious answer is NEVER DO IT!

However, when the monetary risk is low, could net you a real bargan. Here in Colorado it is a well thought out process. Here are steps I followed.  This was to be a restomod, I would have never done this for a numbers matching situation.  This was a sight unseen purchase.

1.) Ran the VIN through ( Local state patrol can help too).

2.) Ran VIN through state DMV where car was coming from (Texas in my case), and where it was going.(Colorado)

3.) No records ever showed up.

4.) Submitted a lost title form to the state where the car came from (Texas).

5.) Denied, since the car had no records.  Pulled Marty report.

6.) Purchased car anyway (risky).  Good rapor with seller, did a background check on seller $49.

7.) Shipped car to Colorado $700. (Car was an M code Mach1 fastback for $1800).

8.) Got car and started lost title paperwork.

9.) Certified VIN insection.  State trooper found another VIN on the car.  (shit!)  However, VIN came back clean. (Lucky #1)

10.) Car was a 69' on top, and a 70' chassis.

11.) Mating job was done well. (Lucky #2)

12.) Rust was managable, pretty stout car. (Lucky #3)

13.) Got an assesment from car dealer.  (Be prepared for the "hey, need a new car?")

14.) File for a surety bond $100.  Prices very due to car assesment.

15.) Filed paperwork for rebuilders title.

16.) Rebuilders title denided.  State trooper filed out for incorrectly.  (make sure you check it before he leaves)

17.) Obtained corrected document.  Re-filed.

18.) Recieved rebuilders title.  Car is finally mine!

Next steps:

1.) Get roadworthy. New VIN inspection required.

2.) File for regular title.

3.) Register.

All-in-all it was a major pain in the ass, but doable.  I hope this helps others.  In addition, seller included new trunk lid, new front valence, new rear 69' taillight panel, and both new rear quarters.  Sold parts not using for ~$1900.

It is actually easy in Cali. all you need is a lost title form and a statement of facts .It would need the vin verified ,Highway patrol , Sheriff ,or DMV ,but if you go to DMV they will want an estimated value . No brake and light inspection needed . If it is no longer in the computer it is even easier .Don't let DMV charge you back fees !! there is no back fees or non op required on a vehicle over 25 years old or if you are a collector of classic cars ,DMV will argue with you ,make them look it up .I am sure they know this but most people dont and DMV will collect the fees any way if you don't know .

Good point.  I did not have to pay any fees.  I also forgot to mention a bill of sale needs to be witnessed by a notary.

It is actually easy in Cali. all you need is a lost title form and a statement of facts .It would need the vin verified ,Highway patrol , Sheriff ,or DMV ,but if you go to DMV they will want an estimated value . No brake and light inspection needed . If it is no longer in the computer it is even easier .Don't let DMV charge you back fees !! there is no back fees or non op required on a vehicle over 25 years old or if you are a collector of classic cars ,DMV will argue with you ,make them look it up .I am sure they know this but most people dont and DMV will collect the fees any way if you don't know .

My 69 Mach 1 had been sitting so long and never registered, not even for non-op, by the previous owner, that it didn't have a title.  DMV had no longer had any records for the car.  It was a simple process in CA when I did it about 15 years ago.  DMV gave me a form to fill out.  I had to have a police officer come to my house, verify the vin number, make certain the car wasn't stolen, and sign the form.  I then submitted the form to DMV and got a title for the car in my name.

Well it's not all that easy to register a car in Cali. We just bought a 2005 GT from a guy in Visalia .He still owed 8 grand to the finance company so i met him there and he paid off the car ,but the finance company doesn't have a title .They do a paperless  transaction and give you the papers to take to DMV.. So i sit at DMV for 3 friggen hours  and they call my name only to have the guy behind the counter tell me he can't accept the papers for ...now get this ...The print date at the bottom of the page did not say 2015.

Now that is the date the form was printed and has nothing to do with anything else .I ask the guy ,isn't that just a little bit stupid ?He says yes but that is what DMV requires .Now i have to meet the guy again Friday ,go to the finance company and have them fill out new forms ...With a 2015 print date at the bottom of the page ,and go back to wait for probably, ANOTHER 3 HOURS !!

Well it's not all that easy to register a car in Cali. We just bought a 2005 GT from a guy in Visalia .He still owed 8 grand to the finance company so i met him there and he paid off the car ,but the finance company doesn't have a title .They do a paperless  transaction and give you the papers to take to DMV.. So i sit at DMV for 3 friggen hours  and they call my name only to have the guy behind the counter tell me he can't accept the papers for ...now get this ...The print date at the bottom of the page did not say 2015.

Now that is the date the form was printed and has nothing to do with anything else .I ask the guy ,isn't that just a little bit stupid ?He says yes but that is what DMV requires .Now i have to meet the guy again Friday ,go to the finance company and have them fill out new forms ...With a 2015 print date at the bottom of the page ,and go back to wait for probably, ANOTHER 3 HOURS !!

Blah!

Could you explain #10 for me?  How its a 69 top and a 70 chassis as they are a not a separate part.

Someone cut out all the spot welds holding the top to the bottom.  Then used sheet metal screws to tie the two together.  Weird, huh?  I had to go back and weld it all back together, and fill all the holes.  I burned a few miles of wire.  My first clue was the VIN was factory, as was the base color on the top.  The bottom had the 70 tail panel, and the 70 shifter hump.  Both were a different color.  Perfect for a restomod.  Luckily, whoever did this took their time since everything is level and square.

A friend of mine bought a 67 fast back and had me do some work on it ,it was a GT 390 .He wanted me to strip the paint  .I started pulling the interior and find the front was candy apple red ,but the back was blue .It had been cut through the floor and through the rockers right through both doors .the windshield posts were cut close to the roof and the two halfs were brazed together .Both halfs were GT cars because the back half had the exhaust pans in the rear floor and the front half had correct GT 390 vin .I called him and told him nice purchase ,you got a two for one deal .He was Pi$$ed ,but that is what you get from EBAY.

They had done a nice job fitting the two halfs ,all the gaps looked good . He still has the car and has won several shows ,some big ones ,and no one knows the difference .

years ago i had a chance to purchase a 69 FB off of the local indian reservation, price was cheap but could have resulted in a call from the police.  should have just bought it and stored it.    was a bigblock car :(  

A friend of mine bought a 67 fast back and had me do some work on it ,it was a GT 390 .He wanted me to strip the paint  .I started pulling the interior and find the front was candy apple red ,but the back was blue .It had been cut through the floor and through the rockers right through both doors .the windshield posts were cut close to the roof and the two halfs were brazed together .Both halfs were GT cars because the back half had the exhaust pans in the rear floor and the front half had correct GT 390 vin .I called him and told him nice purchase ,you got a two for one deal .He was Pi$$ed ,but that is what you get from EBAY.

They had done a nice job fitting the two halfs ,all the gaps looked good . He still has the car and has won several shows ,some big ones ,and no one knows the difference .

I feel better about a top/bottom match than I would a front back one.  Brazed sounds a little weak.  However, you can't argue with sucess!