gnatsum

Hooker Headers 351w

My 69 Mach was originally equipped with the S-code 390 and 4 speed. It now has a 351w from an 83 Bronco, with a C6 auto. Trying to install a set of 6901 Hooker headers, they fit fine after raising the engine up a few inches to maneuver them into place. However after lowering the engine back into the mounts, the headers seem to be up too high at the tail end, such that I can't imagine there's enough clearance for the h-pipe (which I don't have yet). Anything obvious that I'm doing wrong?

When I had Hooker super comps on my 351w, I had to bend the collectors in place.  I used a ~ 5 foot long  2x4 trimmed to fit inside the collectors as a lever to move them in place.  The pipes bend with no problem.      

Not sure about the Super Comps, but my regular Comps had the collectors pointing up towards the floor pan and the collector reducers (when bolted to headers) were hitting the trans tunnel crossmember that is welded to the floor pan.  Had to dent the crap out of them to clear.  I ended up lowering the motor which helped with the clearance.

I prefer to use the 3/4" and use a 6 or 12 Point head.

get you a cheap wrench from Auto Zone or Somewhere, and heat it up and bend both ends of it a little bit and you will own it the rest of your life and can always use it on your headers.

I have several and they get borrowed from time to time LOL.