Print Dad

Door Glass Weatherstrip channel install

Hello All,

well we picked the car up today and it looks pretty good.

Trouble - -the weatherstrip channel on the driver side was

loose after he worked on it .

On the way home - -I lowered the window and the channel fell into the door.

I can take the door panel off to get to it  - - but the real issue is that I think

I may have replaced them and didn't do a good job before.

So please be kind - I am OLD and cranky today after a few things they didn't do.

BUT 

If I buy the channel - -and the bonding glue they recommend - -how hard is it to 

install.

Does the window need to come out or can I just push on?

I am a little upset and would like to fix this myself without going back to the shop.

It is juts a long ride and I Would rather try to fix it myself.

I can see how the channel pushes onto the glass and I can remove the weatherstrip on the door where the

glass comes up on the end. SO - -question - any tricks or tips???

To be certain all understand - this is the metal and rubber strip that attaches to end of door glass

and seals between the quater window and door

I will post a few pictures later tonight - 

Thanks all - - - Always something

Print Dad - - SAm or Jim

It can be installed in place. Remove the rear seal at the door top, there should be a small screw holding the rubber seal at the bottom of it.

Glue the trim piece on and lube the seal with dish soap and slide it in place and secure it with the screw.

While the glue is wet check for door closing and gap to rear window.

Hello Mach1Rider,

Thanks for taking the time to help this OLD guy.

I am going to try to do this as soon as I get the parts.

I ordered yesterday after I got home from the body shop.

I must admit - -the guy did a great job but I am very very dissapointed.

There were several small things I had asked him to check/fix and he didn't do any of them

The light on the pass door is out - - I know a simple thing but I gotta remove the door panel and find out why

The weatherstrip on the pass door is hanging at the bottom even though brand new

I really think he changed the side mirrors - -they are different

The moulding on the driver door is in the door so know I gotta take that apart to fish it out.

I am a little upset - I spent around$14,000 for this work and I was hoping to juts get it in drive the car.

Thanks again and ty for letting me vent a little. Oh yeah - -he won't answer my calls- - LOL

You make it sound pretty easy and maybe I can do this. I am pretty good with motors and stuff but when

it comes to the fine work - -not so good

Thanks - -Jim 

The moulding on the driver door is in the door so know I gotta take that apart to fish it out

Thanks - -Jim 

Jim unless you have to take the drivers side door panel off for another reason you may can get around it if you have a strong telescoping magnet. Take the rubber trim piece off at the back top area of the door that allows you access to the screw that mach1rider was referring to and you may can fish the  trim channel out through that hole.  Just a thought that I would try before removing the door panel. I know the repo pieces a magnet will stick to good but if they are OEM pieces I understand that some of those are stainless so a magnet will not stick but you can try the other one to see how well it will stick to a magnet.

Good luck

Dave

Hello All,

Mach1Rider - -Thanks - I hope the parts get here in a few days and I will fix this

Dave - -I understand your response and give it a shot. Heck I know how to take the

door panel apart - done it about 30 times over the years just a little frustrated I guess.

1969 - Mach 1 - -You are of course right. Time to move on. Please understand- -I never

expected perfection on the car. This is just a driver and always will be.

The part that kinda grinds me - is that I had pointed out about 3 little things and asked if he could

take care of them. The window channel was fine when the car went in  but needs repair now.

However - you are right - time to fix things up the way I would like and trust me - not perfection

but not falling off.

He did a great job on the car and we are very happy - just wish I knew why he kicked us out

so suddenly

I will fix things - - may not be perfect but that is fine with us.

Be well all - -Thanks again - Jim

Can someone provide me with step by step instructions on how to remove the door glass vertical moulding and how to reinstall a new weatherstripping with new moulding (1969 Mustang FB) ?  What type of adhesive to use and where can I get it?  On my driver side the moulding has split apart at the top.  I would like to try to do this myself.  Thanks in advance.  Larry  (LLEE67@hotmail.com)

This video from Don at West Coast Classic Cougar is the best out their, and much better than my version. Do it just like he says and you'll be fine. 

Every Mustang guy should have this video saved. Mustangs and Cougars have much in common, door glass included. 

On 8/6/2020 at 2:11 AM, RPM said:

This video from Don at West Coast Classic Cougar is the best out their, and much better than my version. Do it just like he says and you'll be fine. 

Every Mustang guy should have this video saved. Mustangs and Cougars have much in common, door glass included. 

I don't see in the video where he shows how to attach the vertical channel?

Hmm... been a while since I watched it in its entirety, but thought the method i saw was in there. If the molding is in good condition, an affixed well, just leave it. If you need to transfer it, I used a piece of wood and hammer to pound it loose.