Fantastic

speakers in A pillar covers?

I edge ever closer to actually driving my car. I still don't have a music system installed. I was thinking I could remould the A pillar covers to mount small speakers in the same way other people have put extra gauges there. Has anyone done this before?

My Lexus has them there and it sounds good, but the Lexus has several other speakers. I will have to give this more thought. Right now the focus is to get the car on the road! For the sound system I know I do not want a tape deck, CD player, or any other dated junk. I would rather something that just acts as a controller for the digital input, or failing that, simple FM radio.

I agree with barnett468.  If I recall correctly from my car audio days many years ago, higher frequencies are easier for our ears to localize.  You should have them close to your midrange speakers, ideally.

I think what you are trying to replicate are what most newer cars have which are small tweeters in the A-pillars.  What you would need are component speakers with separate tweeters, woofers and crossovers (

The downside is given the limited mounting options for speakers, mounting the woofers will be problematic to give optimum sound/performance.  Essentially you'd have the tweeters on the A-pillar and the woofers possibly in the kick panels.  Depending on the type of headunit (radio) and amp(s) you choose getting the right balance of sound between bass and trebel might be an issue.  The corssover with the component speakers will help somewhat with balancing the sound between the trebel from the tweeters up by your head and the bass from the woofers by your feet.  But I think you will also need to look at getting an equalizer to help you dial everything in.

The sound system installation is going to have it's own unique challenges I see. This will have to be defered until the car is out of the shop and the restoration is "done".

You can always start planning your installation now.  Picking out the different components that you want.  For example, if you are going to put in kick panels, then you already know what types of speakers will fit.  Also you can pick out the type of head unit you want.  If you want to stick with a classic look such as with Classic Auto Sound, or if you want a modern single DIN head unit.  One of the things I did for my 'vert was mounted two 4x6 speakers side by side in the center dash speaker location.  This required making a custom bracket for it.  But the sound was great. 

I used JB Weld metal putty epoxy to mount the bracket.  If I did it again I would have welded everything.  But the JB Weld worked great and never came off.

post-13226-0-80473000-1429201659.jpg

post-13226-0-94199500-1429201666.jpg

post-13226-0-03617700-1429201676.jpg

You can always start planning your installation now.  Picking out the different components that you want.  For example, if you are going to put in kick panels, then you already know what types of speakers will fit.  Also you can pick out the type of head unit you want.  If you want to stick with a classic look such as with Classic Auto Sound, or if you want a modern single DIN head unit.  One of the things I did for my 'vert was mounted two 4x6 speakers side by side in the center dash speaker location.  This required making a custom bracket for it.  But the sound was great. 

I used JB Weld metal putty epoxy to mount the bracket.  If I did it again I would have welded everything.  But the JB Weld worked great and never came off.

DANG!

I just did the exact same thing a couple of days ago, but I used two 4 inch clarions...  Didn't have any idea two 4x6s would fit in there...

DANG!

I just did the exact same thing a couple of days ago, but I used two 4 inch clarions...  Didn't have any idea two 4x6s would fit in there...

Yeah, two 4x6 fit perfectly. I had a vert, so I didn't have any rear spakers.  So I wired the two center dash speakers to the front, and the two kick panel speakers to the rear, so that way I could balance the sound better.  It sounded really good for a basic install.

For the bracket I drew it up on paper and then took it to a local motorcycle shop that had a CNC machine and had them cut the bracket for me.  Just cost me bottle of scotch for the guy that did the work.  The only issue I think you would have is if you had an A/C car, I think the spaker magnets would get in the way of the duct for the vents.