KipDurran

Tinman vs Maier subframe connectors.

69 F code convertible

I have problems with what I suspect is flex in the unibody, lots of shaking, etc. I am sure that this is no surprise to anyone.

I re-did the front suspension (Arning drop, springs, tie rod ends,coil springs..... the whole shootin' match) and this has helped somewhat but I still want to stiffen things up.

I have a new set of Bilsteins coming so I will get those on soon.

I have been thinking about subframe connectors and the two that float to the top for me is the Tinman vs. Maier racing.

Tinman: Less expensive, looks stock when done right.

Maier Racing: More expensive and does not look stock but potentially stiffer due to extra contact with the front subframe.

Questions/musings:

Does the Maier affect the underneath clearance? I do not want to worry about speedbumps any more than I do now.

I do not plan to have 600 hp in this or race.

My inclination is to go with the Timan.

I also tend to overthink things.

Thanks for listening.

Steve

I installed Tinman on mine although I do not have the car on the road yet I can't comment on the feel but I did like the fit. They snugged the floor pan really well and  they look as though they belong there.  Some members on here made there own, Buckeyedemon comes to mind, and they were just like the front frame rails extended to the rear frame rails in other words just like the frame rails were all one piece from front to rear looked awesome. I don't know if that thread is still with us or not since the forum as been changed. 

Dave

I looked at Maier's subframe connectors.  I like the multiple contact points rather than one location in the front and one in the rear.  Ultimately, I purchased a set from Global West because they fit with very little to no modifications to the car and less welding to the car.  I don't drive the car much and I don't drive it hard enough to need something over-the-top.  I haven't installed them yet but I did fit them and they fit great.  I have to move the fuel line about 1/4" where it attaches to the left from subframe.  But that looks to be about it.

I would say go with the Maiers. As you can see in the picture, they don't hang down any lower then the front frame rails already do. They spread the load out well beyond the subframes, into the ACTUAL frame rails.

Besides, your exhaust is probably already below the point at which these would be.

I have the Maiers and they fit great and they definitely spready the load. If I put a jack under my right front, it will pull the right rear tire off the ground by the time I get it high enough to put a jack stand under it.

This is not my car, just a picture I found on the web.

137-3784_IMG1.JPG

The Tin Man connector slides up into the front Rail a good ways and its the same shape as the rail and a pretty snug fit so its got a good bit of full on contact with the entire area, plus they fall into line with the back rails not off to the sides and they dont interfere with anything

Thanks for the replies folks. Despite the mix of comments, I think that I have made the decision to go with the Maier connectors. For me, the possibilty of even a bit more stiffness is the most improtant.

Has anyone put these on a 'vert?  I will be having someone do these as I don't weld. How much modification is needed to the seat pan area?

The Tin Man only requires you cut the back tab open on the front subframe at the rear.

I personally feel they are a better choice based on a few things.

1. They are Rectangular Tubing and a bit larger, I am pretty sure they are thicker walled as well.

2. They go up into the frame rail, and have contact ALL the way around the inside.

3. They look more like they belong on the car, not sitting off to the side.

4. They cup a large portion of the rear frame rail.

I'm sure the Maier are a good choice also, after all they have been making stuff for years.

I can say this however, when I jack my car up on the bottom of the torque box area or the sub frame connector it also gets the rear wheel off the ground and if you keep going up it will start to lift the other front tire up as well.

Ok, Mike, you changed my mind.

I just put in an order for the Tin Man connectors.

I put my Bilsteins on this weekend and they improved things a bit but there is still a need to further strengthen car.

Thanks for all the input.

I wanted to update this.

I had the Tin Man connectors installed and got her back yesterday.

Big difference in the feel of the car. It is much more solid feeling now.

I have been having a "shimmy" in the car starting at 47 MPH and going away around 52 mph. While this is not completely gone,

it is to the point that I barely notice it. (I am going to look at things like wheel balance, etc. to fix that).

I have previously added a 1 piece export brace and a Monte Carlo bar but I did not notice much change with those, certainly not what I have noticed the the subframe  connectors.

They also look like they belong on the car. As far as how low they are, my mufflers are slightly lower so no problem there.

+1 to Tin Man.

Steve

What's the basic difference between the Tin Man and the Global West sub frame connectors? I don't weld so I'll have to job it out. Although I live just south of the Bay Area, I've never been able to afford anything from Maier Racing. 

The Maier connectors are tubular, which is supposed to increase the rigidity. They also wrap around the subframe in the front, increasing the attachment points and supposedly increasing rigidity as well.

The Tinman connectors are square tubing, and look more stock. They are also about half of the cost.

Both need to be welded in for best results.

I am not going to race or put a ton of HP in the car, so I went with the Tinman product for the fact that it blends in better. I was quite torn however, and I don't think you will go wrong with either.

Cost to install was about $1000 because I have a 'vert and some modification of the pans under the seats were necessary.

Good luck.

Steve

Sam, I went with the Global West connectors, as stated above round tube is more rigid than square. I'm very happy with them and they're priced right. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks for all the good info everybody. I'm always trying to keep the costs down on my project but sometimes the cheapest fix costs you dearly later on. Its great hearing from the folks that are running these parts and can talk from experience! I just hope I don't drive you crazy with all my newbie questions.

Ray here.

Did the Tinman make your own thing and I must say it was one of the best chassis mods to date.

and I have done most all of them..

They look like they belong because every thing under the car is the same shape.

At a 185000 miles I think I could have used two sets.

Would like to have tried a mustang when it was new just to see how firm they where.

......photos later......

Ray.