Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

See if that link works That's what I had in mind.

2010-2012 GT/V6 (NOT 10-12GT500) Mustang Manta Ray Ram air hood

That hood could be done but you would need a scoop to bond to a 69 hood so the molds could be made ,it would be very expensive to buy that hood and make molds also

I have had a lot of people wanting custom parts lately ,some i will be doing .One of the local body shops just did a 2 inch tub on a 67 fast back ,now he wants me to make the interior quarter trim panels for the 2 tub ,he said he has a couple of more cars to tub .

I have been wanting to do something with the 67 -70 Cougars as well .

1969%252520shelby%252520de%252520mexico%

I have been trying to find a pic of a Shelby de Mexico 69 so i could see how the hood was set up ,this is the best one i could find that shows any of the hood .It looks like it is the 69 Shelby top and the front scoop runs clear to the end of the hood ,except they left the scoop opening out ,all the other openings are there .I have been trying to figure out the positioning of the top on the shorter hood and it looks like it is the same starting from the back of the hood ,i will leave in the front openings because it looks much better with them.

I found a couple more Shelby de Mexico pics ,i could drive the heck out of this .I may have to make the trunk lid and end caps also

1969ShelbydeMexico-8.jpg

1969ShelbydeMexico-9.jpg

Is the de Mexico trunklid as tall as the "regular" Shelby vert tail? I've thought of using the Shelby trunklid on my coupe but it looked taller than these pics. I don't know if anyone else would like the idea but I think the sportsroof lip grafted onto a coupe rear would be a cool look. More subtle. Thoughts anyone?

http://themustangsource.com/forums/gallery/showimage.php?i=5421&c=142

Here's another one and it seems they didn't have the outer holes cut out.

I'm with you ridgerunner, I would say make the hoods with the cut outs in them.

But what are you going to see if you look up inside one of the cut outs? may look unfinished if its just a big hole and you can see the inside of the engine compartment.

Here's a nice video of a walk around of one at a car show. Looks like the rear of the front scoops are open for heat extraction, just not at the front.

I was also surprised to see the cougar door panels in there, didn't expect that.

We have had several conversations on these almost lost Shelby's over the past decades, I always thought the rear window sail panels were a great idea for someone to re-pop, way cheaper conversion for coupe owners who wish they had the look of the sportsroof. I also always thought that making a bulging fiberglass rear quarter skin you could graft on that looks like the sportsroof scoops would be a popular item as well. The only thing I always hated about these cars was that they just left the indent there for the scoop, looks so unfinished.

@shaun, that tail is much lower than the Shelby vert one, I have it on my car and after seeing this I can say for sure it is different. As I recall part of the agreement with this back in the day was that only a certain percentage of the car could be made from American parts, the rest had to be produced locally thus many of the unique parts like the sail panels and trunk lid/extensions. Also why they left the side scoop off I believe. Mexican 302's were already being made, many sent to San Jose like the one in my car.

http://themustangsource.com/forums/gallery/showimage.php?i=5421&c=142

Here's another one and it seems they didn't have the outer holes cut out.

I'm with you ridgerunner, I would say make the hoods with the cut outs in them.

But what are you going to see if you look up inside one of the cut outs? may look unfinished if its just a big hole and you can see the inside of the engine compartment.

It will be the exact same as the long Shelby hood with screens in the openings ,they will hit in the same place as the long hood so they will look the same as the American Shelby

Is the de Mexico trunklid as tall as the "regular" Shelby vert tail? I've thought of using the Shelby trunklid on my coupe but it looked taller than these pics. I don't know if anyone else would like the idea but I think the sportsroof lip grafted onto a coupe rear would be a cool look. More subtle. Thoughts anyone?

The spoiler is shorter and the end of the lid and end caps is different ,

So are you going to have to somehow cut the runners shorter to make it all fit on the stock hood or will they fit as they are now?

no the mexico shelby runners hit right at the very front of the hood ,i measured the long hood and it will hit in the same place as the real short hood ,right to the front .the only difference will be that i will cut out the scoops in the runners

Here's a nice video of a walk around of one at a car show. Looks like the rear of the front scoops are open for heat extraction, just not at the front.

I was also surprised to see the cougar door panels in there, didn't expect that.

We have had several conversations on these almost lost Shelby's over the past decades, I always thought the rear window sail panels were a great idea for someone to re-pop, way cheaper conversion for coupe owners who wish they had the look of the sportsroof. I also always thought that making a bulging fiberglass rear quarter skin you could graft on that looks like the sportsroof scoops would be a popular item as well. The only thing I always hated about these cars was that they just left the indent there for the scoop, looks so unfinished.

@shaun, that tail is much lower than the Shelby vert one, I have it on my car and after seeing this I can say for sure it is different. As I recall part of the agreement with this back in the day was that only a certain percentage of the car could be made from American parts, the rest had to be produced locally thus many of the unique parts like the sail panels and trunk lid/extensions. Also why they left the side scoop off I believe. Mexican 302's were already being made, many sent to San Jose like the one in my car.

The Quarter horse has a Cougar dash pad as well ,it bolts right in ,the bottom metal part is the same for the Cougar and Mustang .I have thought about building a Mustang with the Cougar dash pad

DAMN Ridge, You don't play around do ya.

So you have to make the bottom, and then bond the two together and sand and Voila Its done...

Cant believe how quick you got it knocked out thus far.

So when will the prototype be ready to be fitted to my car HAHAH.

I was thinking a quick solution to having to paint one would be to just have it wrapped in Carbon fiber wrap which would be pretty damn cool

have to wait until i get one made to see what the cost will be ,i still have to make the metal hood so i can make the mold .I have the long under brace mold made already so i have the molds for the long hood ,made both of them over the weekend .I hope to have the first short hood  around the end of next week

There will be a 12 inch long 3/16 steel plate in the hinge area bonded inside the under brace .it will be drilled and tapped in the factory location so it will bolt right on .The front will have a plate inside the under brace in the latch area that will be drilled and tapped for the factory catch .

I have the top bonded to the metal hood but Stupid photo bucket will not let me load pics ,soon as i can i will post them