Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

I have to wonder if they even try to fit pieces on cars before they make them .Some are so bad there is nothing to do but send it back or throw it away .

I turned down a couple of jobs fitting fiberglass because they were the same as i fit to this convert ,would have been a total waist of my time .i still have the parts i made the molds from but i would be willing to bet as long as i have had then setting here they will not fit a car now .

I have had people bring me hoods to put on their car that had the under brace siliconed in place,studs in end caps or nose sections that are bonded in with bondo or bonding putty and have them pop off as i tighten ..or try to tighten them down  .The cheap materials that most are using is so bad the pieces will not hold their shape ,warp and twist after it is all painted .I have left hoods set in the sun and had them get so soft you could push your fingers into the under bracing .that is the price of buying parts made with  Cheap materials .

Here's to hoping my new hood shows up tomorrow.

Hoping to bolt it in place and fit it this weekend and then have it painted next week :)

Build us a New cool Chin spoiler Ridge LOL

I just hope i didn't forget to put it in the box ..Wouldn't that be embarrassing ? HAHA

I tried the tracking but couldn't get it to work ,I would figure Friday though .

Ah well so long as the box dont have MOPAR wrote on it and the Bees are all dead HA-HA.

I have some pics of a few cool chin spoilers that would look sick on our cars if you decide to kick some of those out also

Just throwing an idea or 2 out there- a stock coupe trunklid? As far as I know nobody reproduces the stock part in glass or steel. Now for the tricky one. A hybrid coupe trunklid with the fastback lip and matching quarter extensions?

Just my opinion but the regular Shelby tail is a bit too tall and in your face. The Mexican tail is better, but I like the thought of a subtle lip. Anyone else agree/interested?

My son and I have been following the progress of this hood. He likes the hood, except for the look of the center vent - he thinks it needs a scoop. Well, I just came across this car that has both, so I may have him convinced.

1307-1969-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-king

1307-1969-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-king

The hood scoops look nice.  I know when I first purchased an aftermarket one it never fit the contour of the hood correctly and also the studs were prone to breaking off.....Ended up finding and original scoop.  If you made yours true to original fitment then that would definitly be in demand.  So much crap on the aftermarket now in terms of fiberglass, Shelby parts especially.  Based on the feedback on this thread, you could start a good business from it making nice custom parts.  So much are available for 65-68 but very little for 69-70 in terms of hood options, side skirts, etc.  Ring brothers is the only one that makes a complete kit (Dragon) for the 69/70 cars and they want an arm and a leg for them.

This one uses the factory studs to mount ,i have to find a supplier for the studs .I know they are still made .i have a bolt store close by ,i need to check with them.They are like a wood screw on the scoop side and a 1/4 inch bolt on the hood side with a made on washer between .When they are tightened the washer acts as a stop against the hood .

Just throwing an idea or 2 out there- a stock coupe trunklid? As far as I know nobody reproduces the stock part in glass or steel. Now for the tricky one. A hybrid coupe trunklid with the fastback lip and matching quarter extensions?

Just my opinion but the regular Shelby tail is a bit too tall and in your face. The Mexican tail is better, but I like the thought of a subtle lip. Anyone else agree/interested?

I like the idea of a rear decklid spoiler for the poor old 69 and 70 coupes.  I have a 70 and it is a plain jane from behind, for sure.

I have a 68 Camaro SS and I have always like the rear spoiler on that model.  Simple, cool , and almost subtle.  It spans the entire width of the car, so no need for quarter extensions.

Just my opinion if you are looking at options.  I think the Mexican is very busy with the indents, and looks a little bulky and squarish with the full extensions.

Agreed the Shelby/Cali Special is very tall.

Something like this (not my car or pic)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa151/yardog102/68%20Camaro/031608008.jpg

Also, on the fiberglass chin spoiler, I think this is not a good idea in fiberglass.  One spoon drain and it is smashed.  The plastic is more forgiving.

I do really like the idea of a new lower valance/splitter/spoiler unit.  Maybe a little Eleanor......Some foglight/spotlight holes, and the spoiler can be a little shorter, and more forward, to avoid bottoming out.  Big 'Shelby' gap in the center.  Hey, winner!

Course, I think Ridge Runner is not short on ideas of his own, and the skills to make his ideas into reality....thank goodness.  Amazing work.

Received my hood on Friday from the shipping company....Let me 1st say that when Ridge packages something up for shipping, you better eat your wheaties before you attempt to get into the box, and you better have a nice sharp box cutter HAHA.... Dude had this thing so well packaged and taped up it took me 15 min LITERALLY to get the top off the box and when I was done my forearms were exhausted from tearing tape and cardboard open HAHA

SO I got the hood installed Sat and it fit pretty damn well.

I have an aftermarket radiator and the fill neck sits a good bit higher than the stock units do so the cap actually hits the center intake duct at its deepest point, but this shouldn't be a problem since I can remove the thick rubber isolators I have under the radiator and lower the radiator enough to make room.

I was able to lower my Hood latch all the way down like it should be instead of having it all the way up like I did with my Aftermarket metal hood.

The New Ridge hood contours very well to the tops of the fenders and that's saying a lot especially since I have aftermarket fenders.

The gap between my fenders and the new hood are very nice and I didn't have to make any adjustments to my fenders, but I probably will move things around a little bit before I paint the hood.

Guys I will have to say this hood is a VERY nice piece, and its thick enough that I am actually able to use my stock hood springs on the hinges....AWESOME.....

GREAT JOB Ridge Runner..... This hood gets my seal of approval gentlemen.

Here's a pic, notice the hood is a bit high in the front, but thats because I havent lowered the radiator yet, if I remove the cap the hood falls perfectly in line.

post-13203-0-89326200-1431952722.jpg

I was looking at my Shelby replica again and it looks like the hood pins could be moved   outward from the stock mach 1 position and work with the two front scoops .Other wise ,the hood pins could be moved to the hood adjusters in the front of the radiator support and the the adjusters would then be moved to the front fender bolt holes like a 65 GT 350. This way will move the pins more forward .