Ridge Runner

Lets Make A Fiberglass Hood .

I decided to use my old shaker hood as a base ,it blew off the car and the center is destroyed but the perimeter is in good shape .The center will be cut away because the 69 Shelby top i will be bonding on  has a flatter middle .This will take a little while because i will wind up making 4 molds to get the short hood that i will be making .This hood will be a short 69 Shelby style top but it will use the factory hood molding and will work with the factory fenders and headlight buckets ,it will bolt in the factory locations and will use the original hood springs .It will be made with ISO resin used in boat making so it will be a very tough hood .

IMG_0345_zpsyc3jdzsr.jpg

I will be making the top and bottom from this Shelby hood that i bought for this 69 fast back ,The new top and bottom will be shortened to fit the length of the original steel hood .

IMG_0348_zps1658w31c.jpg

IMG_0349_zps4tp15oi7.jpg

I will be using my 69 to set up the hood ,it is very straight so fitting it to my car should make it a good fit on any 69.

IMG_0344_zpsnyxqx12s.jpg

I have a very straight set of 69 front fenders i will bolt in place and a good set of head light buckets to make sure the metal hood follows the top of the cowl and fenders and the headlight buckets the very best they can .

IMG_0347_zpsy2iwdurz.jpg

I got the fenders and headlight buckets bolted on the car .I bet i set the hood in place and took it back off 100 times making sure the edges lined up perfectly,and it does .I will weld some 3/4 inch square tube i have laying around to the bottom of the under bracing to make sure it stays the correct shape .I will get some pics tomorrow ,to tired tonight ,and sunburned .

I was surprised just how flimsy a metal hood is ,i could bend it just about any where i wanted to .

lIMG_0351_zpsuwocblah.jpg

IMG_0352_zpsefe6dsnk.jpg

I welded in the 3/4 inch square tube ,it is very solid now and will keep its shape .

The top is cut out ,i left about 3 inches of the old top to bond the Shelby top to .I may have to cut some of the under brace so the Shelby top will set correctly .

I should have the top by Wednesday .

Ridge did u see the hood in the link I posted in our other thread?

That's what my ideal hood is but I'm down for one of these when your done with them lol.

Can't wait to see em

I couldn't open the link ,my old computer is about dead

I didn't want to use this hood because i wanted to keep it as a template ,i kept the center so i still have a template for a new hood

I get this hood made ,i am going to try to make a different grill to go with it .I just have to figure out what that might be .

Something that will easily bolt in .The machine shop i buy my metal through has a water and sand CNC machine ,i may have slats something like the Mach1 hood scoop grill cut from aluminum or maybe stainless .I will have to think about it for a while .

Not sure what you are looking for in a grill but I had an idea for one at one time

Use lexan and cut a number of sheets stacked with spacers so the front has the same shape as the original grill. But it looke like one of the slat grilles or tube grilles. The you put LED strips behind the grill. It will act like fine optic and will light up the grill. If you use color shifting or RGB LED lights you will then be able to change the color with a knob

Bob

Cool project, I will follow along with interest.

I always wanted to make a '69 hood that had the '71-'73 type nostrils on it! Maybe after I see what is involved with yours I'll give it a try someday.

So once the mold is made how long does it take to kick out a hood?

The molds will take about a week ,they need to cure .The hood top and bottom will be made at the same time ,the next day the bottom will be trimmed and all the mounting steel will be added and bonded to the top still in the mold ,it will sit in the mold for one more day before removing and final trim. About three days to complete one hood .I hope to have it ready to make the first hood next weekend .

wow, lotsa work, interesting to see how this turns out, which supplier fiberglass shelby hood you using?

The hood i am starting with is from Stang-Aholics .This last hood is really nice so it will not take much to have it ready to make the molds from . When i am finished ,i will have the molds for the short hood and the long hood .