mustangmike6996

Looking for some radio advice

What does everyone have that isnt too crazy as far as look?

I like the option to have an Aux jack or maybe a USB port.  I dont want something that is a pile of crap (looks or performance) and I dont want something that has a ton of odd lights and buttons. 

I dont really like the looks of the generic National Parts Depot Mustang radio but that might be the best option.  I think it might look tacky

I upgraded mine well over a decade ago and I ended up going with an original Kenwood from the 80's instead of the CAS knockoff of it because I knew they were good and I rarely hear good things about CAS products. I also had a CD changer in the trunk, now I use a cassette adapter that plugs into a speaker outlet on Ipod or MP3 players.

If/when I do it again I think I will put the original back in for looks and appearance and go with a secret audio type system, all the benefits of modern stuff just not visible.

We also have a member here who upgrades stock radio's with USB's and Aux stuff too.

Just get a nice new single Din radio with not a lot of crazy shit on it.

I got a like new Sony I will sale ya for 50 bucks plus shipping, I will even send ya the plastic front Mustang face plate with the woodgrain overlay already on it.....you just have to attach the radio into the dash with a piece of metal radio strapping and pop the face plate on...its a tight fit but it looks pretty good.

I upgraded to a Double Din in a custom console.

I went with Retrosound.

I don't have this exact model, but my old model2 blends in nicely with the dash:

http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/1969-73-f39-zuma.htm

+1 On Retrosound.

I think it looks pretty close to the stock radio with the black push buttons and knobs. It is a little fidly to fit but it has so many adjustments once you do, it fits perfect in the stock radio bezel. I have kenwood 6x9 in the back and 4" in the front and is way more than I need. It has pre amp, a couple of usb ports and mine even came with a bluetooth micro phone to pair with my radio for hands free talking.

It also has a vinyl sticker that goes over the face that mimics the old radio dial. While it doesn't fool anyone up close, at a distance or at just a glance, it looks pretty cool.

I would highly recommend this radio.Pretty sure it was the Zuma.

Just get a nice new single Din radio with not a lot of crazy shit on it.

I got a like new Sony I will sale ya for 50 bucks plus shipping, I will even send ya the plastic front Mustang face plate with the woodgrain overlay already on it.....you just have to attach the radio into the dash with a piece of metal radio strapping and pop the face plate on...its a tight fit but it looks pretty good.

I upgraded to a Double Din in a custom console.

mike stang, do you have any photos of your double din set up?

I'm Considering building another one in the near future with a few changes and may have them for sale if anyone would be interested.

Would come fully assembled and you could have it upholstered in your choice of material.

Retrosound looks nice but man... $300 is steep IMHO. 

I like the idea of the simple single DIN and matching faceplate.... The only issue I have is that I have seen many more unappealing setups than ones that seem to visually "fit" the car.   

Mikestang, do you have a picture of the single DIN in your car (before the custom console)  I wont be using the wood grain in the interior.

I just installed a Retrosound Malibu. The fit and sound is great. I got mine from Crutchfield I talked them down to $259.00 shipped. I had a Retrosound Model 1 before that and just wanted to upgrade. The new radio has Bluetooth so I can connect it with my phone.

ED

I don't think I am gonna put a radio back in mine.  I shaved the antennae and plan on putting gauges or something else it the place of the radio.  I am gonna hide a usb or mp3 input off to the side.  They make MP3 input only modules with small remotes.  Or I may go with mp3/usb input amps.  I haven't check yet but there maybe Bluetooth options out there now.

I went with the retrosound.  They are pricey, but I wanted a classic look, with only blutooth and a radio.  I have the "model 2" and I am very impressed with the quality of the unit.

They have a ton of options for the face, you can get black or chrome on buttons, and/or face, and or trim, so you can create any look you want from all black to all chrome.  the knobs and stems for them are completely adjustable to fit the 69 dash well, AND they are made of real metal, not plastic crap.  Mine is "almost in", but not complete yet. 

I'm putting a DL audio amp in the trunk and some quality 6x9s in back and 6.5s to replace the front vents in the front quarter panel. 

I took some pictures so you could see what the unit looks like (it still has the plastic protective cover on the face.  It comes with about 6 options of "fake radio dial" face plates so you can make it apprear very original.  Those are not on in these pics

Sorry the pics are sideways, I don't know how to fix that on this site:

post-14729-0-00632900-1427286770.jpg

post-14729-0-41783600-1427286780.jpg

post-14729-0-26506600-1427286792.jpg

post-14729-0-51330100-1427286805.jpg

post-14729-0-86168200-1427286898.jpg

Just to throw another option, maybe consider a modified factory radio? How about a 1970s era factory radio with MP3 and/or Bluetooth?   I can easily add a mp3 or Bluetooth input to a factory radio from the 70s.  The radios are cheap enough, and put out real good sound.   You typically do need an additional external speaker amplifier.   I have done the mod for others on this forum.   This way you can keep the factory look.

I have added mp3 to dozens of radios, but bluetooth is the latest thing I added to mine and others.  I can listen in my home or car,  playing the music from my tablet.   If I want the normal radio, I just switch off the Bluetooth, and the normal  AM FM radio returns.   The 1970s AM/FM radio with Mp3 input or Bluetooth is about $100. Just another option to consider.

I was actually considering going back to the original radio, since my CD player is out of date and it has no Aux port, most likely ill purchase a new one with bluetooth capabilities. Though I see retrosound makes a bluetooth version which would be great since all my music is on my phone, I still haven't seen anyone use that model. 

IN your case rwcstang, I'll call up danno.  Really cool if you could have an orig radio that he just adds bluetooth to...

that's the thing, I can't find my radio so most likely it was probably thrown away.

that's the thing, I can't find my radio so most likely it was probably thrown away.

My PO put in an aftermarket radio that I hated. I went on ebay and found an FM/AM stereo out of a 75 F-150. It is basically the same but it has a slider bar where the 69 & 70s didn't. It fits perfectly and I only paid about $50 for it. I sent it to Dannoand he upgraded it with a USB to chatge my Ipod, a switch to select radio or Ipod, a jack for my Ipod and a lead for my power antenna. It looks stock and sounds great. Danno is the man!!!

Has anyone gone this route?......

http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

It uses your original radio...but not sure how well it works.

knobs, dials, functions all work fine.  i'm only using a dual speaker in the dash, so I really don't know how good the sound really could be if I had a set of speakers that weren't limited by the few perforations that our dash pads have.

i'm going the same route for my falcon.

I bought from EBay a period correct NOS RCA AM/FM 8-track.  Fits great, the original; knobs fit, and for its age it has 4-way fader.  I was shocked how good it sounds, much better than I thought it would.  Here is a link to another one currently listed on EBay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGEINDASH-AM-FM-8-TRACK-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-PRETESTED-100-FITS-RITE-IN-/331556334536?hash=item4d324c2bc8&vxp=mtr

If you search 8-track repairs you'll find businesses that will add remote IPOD or USB ports to these old radios.