SA69mach

Score- 70 spindles for my 69 Mach1

I have been looking for a set of 70 spindles to upgrade my 69 Mach1 for a while. I was looking at Opentracker, but they only make/sell 70 spindles for drum brakes. In many respects those spindles are a good thing, as so many brake kits are designed to fit the drum spindles.

The 69 and 70 have different spindles for drum and disc brakes. The drum spindles are largely regarded as being stronger in design. However it is the larger diameter of the spindle stub axle that I wanted.

So, thanks to Dan and Carol at Chockostang, I look forward to fitting them. New rotors, bearings, dust caps, brake pads and tie rods.

On a side note, Chockostang is a great "mom and pop" business, that serves our Mustang community well. Dan is extremely knowledgeable, and nice to talk to, very helpful and a Mustang enthusiast.

Hi. New guy here. I also got my hands on a set of 70 disc brake spindles for my 69. Like to know what your doing to put them on. What rotors are you going to use?

I have disc brakes on my 69, so the swap is easier.  The brake rotors are identical for 69 and 70, although I have also purchased new rotors.

The two parts you must change are the tie rod ends and the internal races on the hub/rotor, because the 70 spindles are different in two respects that matter - the holes in the spindle to accept the tie rod end is larger than the 69 set, so the 70 models must be fitted in place of the 69 tie rod ends.  The 'stub axles' themselves are thicker in diameter, and Ford simply adjusted the bearings and races in the existing standard rotor/hub. 

So if you are going to retain your brake rotors, you need the A12 and A13 bearings installed in your old rotor

The calipers will simply bolt on to the 70 spindles with no modification.

This is the perfect time for a front suspension rebuild, and I will be replacing the LCA and all ball joints when I do the brakes.  New brake flex lines, and I will rebuild the calipers with new seals and pads.  New coil spring insulators.

Have you done this work before?  I have done a front rebuild on my 70 and the improvement was dramatic - night and day.  I am expecting the same level of improvement on my Mach 1.  The Mach has been well preserved over the years but needs some performance upgrades and maintenance.  I highly recommend specific work on the front end, and specific alignment settings.  My 70 does not have the Shelby drop but is a very good street and track car with the work done, so I know it works.

If you wish me to expand on the work to assist you, please let me know.

I am going to use the Wilwood disks on my 69 and they use the drum brake spindle ,I have a set of 70 drum spindles i will be using .Compared side by side they are much stronger than the 69s . I had a 69 disk spindle break at about 55 mph,the only thing that kept the tire on the car was the caliper ,the tire locked up and slid me off the road .It broke right behind the threads on the spindle.

Are the 70 disc spindles hard to find? The reason I ask is here in Aus we have the Falcon spindles easy to find- almost a throw away item. Use the same balljoints, tie rod ends and bearings as the 70 spindle. They are 3/8" taller than a Mustang spindle and are the most commonly used spindle here if you want disc brakes. A stock KH caliper and disc bolts on.

IMG_1922_zpsbfe076aa.jpg

I'm wondering whether it would be worth shipping spindles to the states if there was enough interest from guys over there and shipping wasn't too high. Alloy calipers were a stock fitment on some models and are dime a dozen too

7ACF303E-2F60-4283-B20B-B25E1381EE53_zps

I did the same, went from 69 drums to factory 70 disc.  Dan and Carol are great and they both take the extra time to help out.  Dan was able to fit me with a Manual Master Cylinder from a Maverick since it has a bigger bore, an adjustable proportionate valve for the rear and the necessary brake lines and hardware.  Done this almost a year ago and the car stops as if it has power brakes.

IIRC, you'll have to change to a bigger brake line fitting for the front calibers.

The overall height is 3/8" taller. The spindle and steering arm are in the same place as a 70. The height difference alters the camber curve similar to half a shelby drop. An even heavier casting was made for 79-88 Falcons. The geometry was the same as are the ball joints but the tie rod has a larger hole.

The overall height is 3/8" taller. The spindle and steering arm are in the same place as a 70. The height difference alters the camber curve similar to half a shelby drop. An even heavier casting was made for 79-88 Falcons. The geometry was the same as are the ball joints but the tie rod has a larger hole.

thanks Shaun  for that information. That's good to know. The benefit of the arning drop is to make the pivot point of  upper control arm more parallel  with the ball joint. So if you think about it since the falcon spindles are 3/8 taller it seems this would have the same effect so it actual should improve handling a little.

Wish there were some in the states I would give it a go.

Dave

Are the 70 disc spindles hard to find? The reason I ask is here in Aus we have the Falcon spindles easy to find- almost a throw away item. Use the same balljoints, tie rod ends and bearings as the 70 spindle. They are 3/8" taller than a Mustang spindle and are the most commonly used spindle here if you want disc brakes. A stock KH caliper and disc bolts on.

IMG_1922_zpsbfe076aa.jpg

I'm wondering whether it would be worth shipping spindles to the states if there was enough interest from guys over there and shipping wasn't too high. Alloy calipers were a stock fitment on some models and are dime a dozen too

7ACF303E-2F60-4283-B20B-B25E1381EE53_zps

Hi SHaun....New Guy Here also.  I have Granada Spindles on my 69 and VERY curious on where you got that Caliper Bracket and more importantly, which/what is it....I have spent Multiple hours broken up in DAYS of research and networking trying to find ways to Adapt PBR calipers to Granada, Mustang, Falcon ect spindles like thes but have never seen that Bracket.   If I could get my hands on one, I could very likely Modify it to Use PBR/Cobra Calipers and solve my issue :)

Help?

Welcome to the forum MachMe69! If you're not into fabbing your own brackets, MustangSteve has many to fit your needs. Now, why not start a thread in the Project Progress Forum and tell us a bit about yourself, and your Mustang, along with some pics. We're generally a friendly bunch.

Machme69- welcome mate. The bracket is part of my front brake kit from UPC Brakes in Melbourne, Australia. It uses 13" mustang cobra rotors and VT Commodore/ 2004 GTO PBR calipers with a custom hub. I'll see if I can find a link or phone number and post it.

That would be great.

Just to be clear though, I'm speaking about that bare granada spindle photo you listed with that 'cross-tie' Bracket that bolts to the Original Caliper Mounts. From what I gathered the photo states it's an "original KH Bracket?"

Is this correct or do you fabricate those?