Mike65

Shock tower reinforcements

I purchased the big block shock tower reinforcements from opentracker racing http://opentrackerracing.com/product/shock-tower-repair-reinforcement-kit-1967-1970/ that I am going to weld to the shock towers. Does anyone have any good pics of them?. Also the towers on my 69 Coupe are approx. 3/4" sagged in since I had to use a bottle jack & a 4x4 piece of wood to push them out to get the export brace to fit. I am thinking I should install the export brace & the monte carlo bar before welding on the reinforcements. What do you all think?

TIA, Mike.

The shock tower wraps are pretty hard to see in the car.  First two pics are of mine one each side OE 69.  Second two are of a 69 without the engine in it so I got a couple of pics.  The second two include the cut out mods for headers.  Your kit seems to include a few more pieces than the originals ?  Monte Carlo installed would be good and might as well put the export on as well.  Brian

post-33155-0-75099300-1426764705.jpg

post-33155-0-94729700-1426764727.jpg

post-33155-0-03110700-1426764763.jpg

post-33155-0-06406000-1426764803.jpg

Be careful when welding as the shock tower is much thinner material than the reinforcement pieces you'll weld to them. Check latoracing's build thread first. I believe he said he had a burn thru or two.

I would most definately bolt everything together first. I find it easiest to install the export brace with the front end on jack stands and the suspension unloaded. 

If you have a blow thru with the welder, take a copper pipe, hammer one end flat and put that behind the blow thru to build the weld hole then grind it. 

I know it has been a while since I purchased the big block shock tower reinforcement kit & now but I am almost done stripping off the old paint from the shock towers & the inner fender panels so I should be fitting up the pieces & welding them in hopefully next weekend. I will update this when I do.

Push the towers out to where they need to be, install the export brace to be sure they are there. Leave the pressure from the porta power on the towers to be sure they are where you want them.

Then weld in an TA brace on the inside of the towers. That is the triangulating brace that goes from below the upper arm bolts to the outer edge of the frame rail. Once that is installed the towers will typically stay there.

Then you can get in and weld the added bracing in

Bob

Looks very nice..When I did mine I welded every seam there was.. Maybe an over kill but there was a welder in my hands and beer in the cooler so why not.......If I need to replace the tower someday I will deal with it than.

+2 on welding everything.

Making the parts yourself isn't too awfully difficult, and can save a couple of $$$ along the way. My examples are on the overkill side of the line, but I plan on beating on this just a little once it its finished.

IMG_20141016_190139_zpsdazdtnhq.jpg

IMG_20141105_193502_zpsxzectxff.jpg

Mike65, Post some pictures if you can of your install. I imagine some here would like to see how it goes and how the fit of the new parts is.

Jim

Here you go Jim, today I welded on the front big block shock tower reinforcements on the l/s & r/s towers.

53438-9-25-16-welded-l-s-front-big-block

53437-9-25-16-welded-r-s-front-big-block

I purchased the big block shock tower reinforcements from opentracker racing http://opentrackerracing.com/product/shock-tower-repair-reinforcement-kit-1967-1970/ that I am going to weld to the shock towers. Does anyone have any good pics of them?. Also the towers on my 69 Coupe are approx. 3/4" sagged in since I had to use a bottle jack & a 4x4 piece of wood to push them out to get the export brace to fit. I am thinking I should install the export brace & the monte carlo bar before welding on the reinforcements. What do you all think?

TIA, Mike.

That's a nice kit.  It's been around a long time.  I think originally designed by Pro Motorsports Engineering.  I purchased mine back in 1995.

Not to be too critical.  The reinforcement kit Pro Motorsports Engineering sells looks to contain more braces than the kit Opentracker sells.

http://www.drgas.com/Mustang-Shock-Tower-RepairReinforcement-Kit_p_16.html

Not to be too critical.  The reinforcement kit Pro Motorsports Engineering sells looks to contain more braces than the kit Opentracker sells.

Yes it does, it has 4 more pieces. I ordered some sheet metal & I am going to make the 4 pieces.