Jimjific

New 64-66 Mustangs

Sadly though there are plenty of people who want a classic Mustang and have deep pockets but zero ability or desire to build one. These people will obviously like the idea of a 100K full warranty for the hefty price tag where as most of us see wrenching on the car as half the fun.

IMO this can possibly only help the retail value of real vintage cars though, 64.5-66 cars are very plentiful and have the widest parts selection, in comparison a lot of folks might consider now paying more than market value for a nicely restored original and still save a ton of cash over the new one.

I like the idea of 'new' vintage cars. As said above, this can only increase the interest and possibly the value of original cars.

I see RRS from Australia has input on the suspension and I suspect the power steering rack. I have an RRS rack & pinion in my 70, and it is a very nice improvement on that car. Tiniest loss of turning circle, but very good steering feel and ratio.

Interesting that the basic 64.5 model was the choice for such a big investment. I would imagine a rarer and more desirable car like the BOSS 429 would get more interest for that money. Even transposing a $28,000.00 Kaas 429 in place of the (approx.) $8000.00 Ford crate 5.0l, it would seem a better deal. I would sure pay 140k for a new BOSS 429 than 120k for a 64.5 coupe.

I like the idea of 'new' vintage cars. As said above, this can only increase the interest and possibly the value of original cars.

I see RRS from Australia has input on the suspension and I suspect the power steering rack. I have an RRS rack & pinion in my 70, and it is a very nice improvement on that car. Tiniest loss of turning circle, but very good steering feel and ratio.

Interesting that the basic 64.5 model was the choice for such a big investment. I would imagine a rarer and more desirable car like the BOSS 429 would get more interest for that money. Even transposing a $28,000.00 Kaas 429 in place of the (approx.) $8000.00 Ford crate 5.0l, it would seem a better deal. I would sure pay 140k for a new BOSS 429 than 120k for a 64.5 coupe.

I agree. Also nothing against the first gen cars (They are the ones I fell in love with as a kid) but the first gen is also limited on wheel size/width which limits more performance options using a un-modified body. Again, I applaud the idea, I just don't get the price. I could get a pretty decent first gen car for about $30K. Leaving me with a budget of $90K to modify it myself or have someone else do the work. It just seems like I would have a bunch of money left over.

Jim

Just build your own .I have built 4 65-66 fastbacks ,4 65-66 converts  and 4 67 fast backs .You just need a coupe with a decent under structure and $3,000 worth of brand shiny new Dynacorn sheet metal.It will still have a coupe title but it beats the heck out of trying to license a Dynacorn body .This is my latest .

_MG_3391_zpsqhxoqtdv.jpg

_MG_3467_zpsqqt9v1zs.jpg

_MG_3830_zpsyrt2dtoy.jpg

_MG_4075_zpsrgd5l5ws.jpg

If you have welding skills any one can build their own virtually new fast back or convertible at a fraction of a real one, or one built by some company .This one is just about ready for paint ,i am thinking prairie bronze with black stripes .A convert.is much easier to build than a fast back but cost about the same .

it is impossible to register them in some states and next to impossible to register them in others, so just exactly how is someone going to drive a $120.000.00 car they can not legally register?

they will have no affect on the value of the real cars . . the real cars will continue to go up in price and these taiwan repos will continue to go down . . there is noithing collectible about them at all.

a new kirkham cobra was HALF the price of a real cobra, so since real aluminum bodied kirkham cobras are worth less now than they originally sold for, what do people think is going to happen to a taiwan made mustang convertible, especially since they can still be found fairly easily?

That is why i like to build my own from a coupe .a coupe can be found every where and cheap .If you are planning on doing a custom any way you can do it the way you want it ,and still register it ,it will still have the coupe numbers but if it is going custom anyway it doesn't bother me at all. I agree with you Barnett468 ,they should have no impact on the value of the real thing .The value going up on the real cars is because they are becoming harder to find .

From Revology's web site's titling and registration section.

"The titling and registration process is relatively new in many states, therefore the local DMV office may not be familiar with the procedure."

Eeeesh! that's what I want to get involved with. Sounds like hell and a lot of trips to the DMV.

Ridge Runner, Very cool conversions. So you can get all of the internal rear seat parts required? Also, I know 69/70 Fastbacks have a different "A" pillar angle. Is this also true for 64-68's?

Jim

65 -68 have the same window frame ,coupe,fastback and convert .To make a convert you just remove the roof skin and trim the end of the window pillars.it has the holes under the top frame same as a convert already there for the top stainless.All the pieces to convert a coupe to a fast back or a convert   are made by Dynacorn.   69 -70 coupe has a different front window frame from a fastback so the front pillars have to be changed but that is not a problem because Dynacorn makes them also.Once finished it is hard to tell a conversion from the real thing . Another good thing is the Dynacorn metal is a thicker gauge than the original so you have a tougher car than the original especially if you add torque boxes .I get a small discount on Dynacorn metal ,but not much ,but it usually works out to around $3,000 for the new sheet metal to make a conversion .For some reason the 67-68 conversion is a lot easier to do .

You would be surprised at what DMV does not know .In California you do not need a non op on a vehicle over 25 years old ,yet DMV charges the fees any way ,unless you know better and argue with them .I have had to make them look it up ,they get the funniest look on their faces when the read the rules .Also a car collector is not required to non op a classic car so there is two ways out of a non op fee .they will try to make you register as a car collector but i have not done it and i will not ,there is no need to .I have never paid a non op fee or back fee on a classic car as back fees do not exist .

it is impossible to register them in some states and next to impossible to register them in others, so just exactly how is someone going to drive a $120.000.00 car they can not legally register?

they will have no affect on the value of the real cars . . the real cars will continue to go up in price and these taiwan repos will continue to go down . . there is noithing collectible about them at all.

a new kirkham cobra was HALF the price of a real cobra, so since real aluminum bodied kirkham cobras are worth less now than they originally sold for, what do people think is going to happen to a taiwan made mustang convertible, especially since they can still be found fairly easily?

So wait, these cars are made in Taiwan???? I thought the company was in Flordia?

It's very cool but they are just a expensive toy for people with too much money.

For that just buy a real one and enjoy it.

Now if you are going to make 'new' vintage mustangs that have modern suspension and engines that that is another thing.

And my new I am not thinking aftermarket upgrades, but rather a modern platform like the new mustang with the older body skins.

It would be very cool to be able to buy a new body she'll that you then buy a newish mustang for a donar and then transfer the running gear over

Bob

So wait, these cars are made in Taiwan???? I thought the company was in Flordia?

the bodies are made in taiwan, in my view, that generally makes it a taiwan car . . i prefer to have an original ford body on my mustang, especially for a base price of $120,000.00 . . i also wonder just how well a taiwan convertible top frame will work/fit [if thats what they use], especially since all the other body pieces made in taiwan seem to fit so well right out of the box.

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/ford_models2.html

if the top assembly is the Dynacorn frame it is nice ,but the Dynacorn body is not assembled by Dynacorn ,they are assembled in Taiwan and the 67 bodies need a lot of work re aligning panels .One 67 body i saw had to have the front window post completely reworked and the windshield did not fit in the opening correctly because it was cocked to one side .

Ford is supposed to be selling a 65-66 body as well but i bet it is not assembled in the USA.