Sign in to follow this  
Phils69

Help in setting a value on my Stang

Hey All,

Its been a while since I have posted but I am in need of your help again. I am debating on selling my car due to medical issues and other things. I know I would never get half the money that I have spent on it but I feel you guys can give me a good perspective on what it may be worth. I have pasted some info below along with a couple pics.

1969 Mustang Mach 1 - H code Wimbledon White with black interior
The good –
408 Windsor balenced, AFR 205’s, FTI custom cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Stealth intake, 750 Holley DP, rebuilt and recurved distibuter, Digital rev limiter, FMS valve covers, vacuum Pump Kit Summit CCA-5500
4 row big block radiator, all new hoses and belts
C4 with custom stall convertor from Ultimate Convertor Concepts
Ford 9†Rear 3.25
Randals Rack Power steering kit
Front suspension rebuilt, Opentracker upper and lower control arms & roller perch
CSRP front disk power brake conversion. Swap 1.4/PBU/AT
Global West subframe connectors
Magnum 500’s with BFG’s 275/60/15 rear and 235/60/15 front
Exhaust:
FPA long tube headers with Flowmaster 40’s
Interior approx 80% updated:
New foam and seat covers, headliner, lights, sound deadener and carpet
Misc:
New main wiring harness firewall forward
New fuel tank, lines and gas tank inlet changed to modern diameter
The bad:
Needs body work and paint
Needs new glass, the rear glass is ok but the rest needs to be replaced
Need interior door panels updated

post-14601-0-34163800-1426510493.jpg

post-14601-0-44798700-1426510516.jpg

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but its worth whatever you will accept for it. You know what you have in it and set your bottom line accordingly.

I just went thru this with my Mach1 and set my bottom line price at 25k. I know that it is worth more and it would be a great deal for someone.

But you WILL be getting low ball offers and hundreds of reasons for them in the buyers opinions.

The offers that offend me the most are the ones that come close to the advertised FIRM price and state that's all she's worth because of whatever.

They all get the sorry but this price is firm response from me.

Thanks for the input. Dealing with the riff raff is the part I hate the most, I am not a haggler by any means. I would really like to see the car go to someone that can take it to the next level. I have  been out of the game for a while so I am kind of lost as to what the Machs are going for now. I'll have to do some more research but its hard to get a feel unless you go see these cars in person which is hard to get the time.

I think your biggest swing factor is just how much body work is needed. With a car that looks nice inside and runs great I think a lot of folks are happy to be able to choose their own paint color but they know that is probably 10K they still need to spend so body work really is the mystery element. A nicely done Mach is probably in the 50k-65k range when the right buyer comes along but anyone else will start subtracting from 50K at the highest for everything needed still.

I'd say to bring the car to top of the line show quality it would be around 25 to 30k if a shop was hired to do it. That would include new quarters, door skins, rear panel, glass,door panels and assorted odds and ends and high quality paint. The metal under the car is good except for two spots at the front torque box's It is a strong, solid car and I've done just about everything mechanically that I believe it needs. I'm not a body/paint guy though and don't see it happening any time soon. I've got at the very least 22k in it so I guess I need to set my bottom line price and see what happens. I feel that if I could get at least $18 for it that would give somebody that's good at bodywork a great deal. Do you guys think I'm way off base here?

It does depend on your local market as well.  Here in Florida, I see A LOT of very decent quality '69s and '70s selling for what I would consider "below market value", which means the local market value is just lower than I expect it should be for these cars.  But a survey of eBay reaffirms that generally, I believe the cars are just worth less than we like to think they are.  Honestly, in driver quality finish, it's probably a $25k car.  And unfortunately, with unfinished body and paint, I think you're probably looking at A LOT less... like $15k-$17k-ish.  Anyway, just take a look at "completed listings" on eBay and see what stuff actually SOLD for and you'll have an idea.

That said, I'm with Mach1Rider... I consider the value of my car to be whatever the hell I say it is because I have absolutely no intentions of selling it.  EVER.

Some places will sell cars on consignment.  I looked into that when I sold my last classic car.  The pluses are you don't have to deal with the tire kickers, and the place doing the selling is going to try to sell it at a good price since they are getting part of the money.  You should do some sort of contract before giving them the keys however.  If somebody blows the engine on a test drive, you don't want to get stuck with that.  It can however be difficult to find places that will sell classic cars on consignment since the business doesn't know the history of the car.  If you have receipts for all parts, repairs, etc, it can help.

Thanks Guys. I do have a stack of receipts, more than I care to admit. When/if I get to that point I'm going to set the price at $15 firm. If it doesn't sell at that I'll just keep it. The engine is worth half that, man its a beast. It'll roll those 275 rears at will even with the 3.25 gear rear.

The reality is an H code Mach (base car, really) is probably a 35k car with the body very well sorted, and from the appearance of your doors and fender aprons, you are a long way from that. I spent ten grand on body and paint on mine, with no meaningful rust issues, so somebody might get away with spending 20k to make yours really nice, and then they probably have a 30k car.

Factoring in the optimism factor from an eager buyer who thinks the laws of economics don't apply to them (there are always one or two), I think you are probably looking at a 15k car, max, as it sits. An H code really isn't a pedigree car, although a popular one.

Given what you have into it, that can be disappointing, but just like in real estate, certain expenditures lead to a far better resale value than others. You spent a lot of money on stuff that is hard to recoup. Money spent on body work always comes back. Body work and paint are like kitchen and bath remodels, it's hard to lose. I wish you could keep it. Best of luck.

Wel it is what it is. I knew going into the project I'd never get my money back but didn't care really as I had no intentions of selling. I might have to sell the boat and keep the Stang we will see. Thanks for the feedback guys.

It looks like a good starting point to make a very nice car.  I would venture to guess that it will need 20k in bodywork and paint to make it right, as stated above.  I wouldnt sell it for too much less just because the next owner will need to put X amount of dollars into it but most of the parts that have been replaced/updated will have to be removed to perform the work required.  Example, interior panels  for body work or engine/trans for any frame/floor work.

Id think that you could get $9-13k depending on area/demand