Sign in to follow this  
10yearsgone

RV Mirror mount

I saw a few old posts about where to mount and luxury mirrors, but nothing that quite answers the issue I'm having. The new windshield came with a mount on it. I'd like to go with a mirror design that looks original but that will work with the mount already on the windshield. I purchased a Scott Drake - C8AZ-17700-A, but the female mount that came with the mirror is slightly more narrow (perhaps even tapered) than the male on the windshield and it will not slide down more that 1/2 way. 

This seems rather silly, but I've looked around for step-down adapters or even a new ball & socket style arm that I can replace the Scott Drake one with. I'm struggling here. Anyone know what the "standard" windshield mount is? Is there a sizing for theses things? I see a "14" on the mount that came with the windshield.

Or if there is an alternative mirror that still looks original, but will slide down on the upside down U style windshield plate.

tough one... i know my replacement windshield came with an odd mirror mount.  I had to remove it and add a new universal mount to use my mirror with ( i am using a Gentex auto dim mirror, compass, and homelink)

To remove use a acetylene torch to heat up the mirror wedge (do not heat the glass or do it in cold temps, this may cause the glass to crack)  While holding the mirror mount with a set of angle pliers.  After a few seconds of heating start applying turning pressure (like you were unscrewing a bolt).  once the metal mirror mount pops off remove heat from glass area.

after glue dries use a razor blade to remove excess glue on glass.

I think you can also remove it just as you would de-badge a modern car, just start at the top with a piece of fishing line or fine dental floss and work your way down until you cut through all the adhesive.

Getting ready to put in a new winshield this spring this has me a tad concerned that it might come with a useless mount on it.

I talked to the guy who installed the windshield. He went to Ford and discussed with them. They call it a GM style mount and directed us to a 2001 Ford Explorer rear view mirror. Slight difference is that it uses a spring clip as opposed to a set screw. Aside from that it looks the same. I did a search on google for "2001 Ford Explorer rear view mirror" and it returned a CJ Pony hit on a 94-98 coupe:

6U5Z-17700-A

I'm not seeing it in person as the car and mirrors are at the shop I work on it at so I'll look this weekend, but from what I have been told (and looking at the 2 on CJ's site) I'm not seeing a design/shape difference with 

C8AZ-17700-A

I also do have the original mirror (M3523A) I purchased not realizing the mount would already be on the windshield. Slight variation in look from the others above, but if you have the arm from the 6U5Z-17700-A, the ball and socket design would seem to be interchangeable.