Ridge Runner

390 Stroker Kit

Has any one done a 390 stroker kit ? I have been trying to find a 428 block ,rods and crank for my 69 R code but they are priced way to high .I have a couple of 67 GT 390s and figure if i cant find a 428 at a reasonable price i just may do a 390 stroker instead .I would like to know how it performed and what the stroker kit cost and who has the best .I may have my 66 fast back sold ,knock on wood cross your fingers ,and i plan on buying most of the parts to finish my 69.

A 428 crank in a 390 block is 410. Those a fines were put into some Mercury cars so you can find one of those to steal the crank out of. You can't easily use the whole engine as it uses different (early) engine mounts

Bob

Here is link to a FE 390 stroker build that I was following. He is building a 427 out of a 390 for a Cobra kit. Lots of good info and other links too. I like the 390 stroker because if stroked to a 428, you should make more torque than a 428 since the displacement will be due to stroke not cylinder bore. I also like the Scat rotating assy's since it is internally balanced. For the price I don't think you can beat it.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?1215-Engine-Build-Thread-427ci-FE-Big-Block

Jim

Here is link to a FE 390 stroker build that I was following. He is building a 427 out of a 390 for a Cobra kit. Lots of good info and other links too. I like the 390 stroker because if stroked to a 428, you should make more torque than a 428 since the displacement will be due to stroke not cylinder bore. I also like the Scat rotating assy's since it is internally balanced. For the price I don't think you can beat it.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?1215-Engine-Build-Thread-427ci-FE-Big-Block

Jim

That is what i am looking for ,Thanks   

Barry Robotinik at Survival Motorsports http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/ and Brent Lykins at Lykins Motorsports http://www.lykinsmotorsports.com/ are probably the most experienced at FE strokers and stroker kits.  I don't think you could go wrong by either of them.  Give them a call and see what they recommend.

I went the stroker route with my 390. Purchased the kit, Stage X heads, intake manifold, and roller cam from Barry at Survival. The motor provides gobs of tire roasting torque. I am very satisfied!

I would encourage you to get a copy of Barry's book to get ideas on how to proceed with a FE build. Also consider visiting the FE forum for research and results on different combinations. You really can't go wrong working with either Barry or Brent on a FE.

I ended up going the stroker route as well using one of Barry's kits.  By the time I was to reconditioned everything I had, with new pistons, it was only a little more to get the full kit from Barry.  It was a fairly simple build with just a bore on the block and everything slides right in.  As mentioned above,definitely get a hold of Barry's book as there is some great info in there on all of the FE stuff.   I did a pretty mild build and it is still runs pretty darn good with tons of low end torque.

Good luck.

I got my 390/445 kit from Barry at Survival. I went with the H beam rods. There only a hundred dollars more. The fit and finish is a little better. They are also a few grams lighter. If your looking for a Fe block most people like to get the truck blocks because the have extra webbing in the mains. Kinda like a 428cj block. Casting numbers will be either D3TA or D4TA. If my memory is right. Usualy find them in 73-79 Ford trucks. The 360 is the same block as the 390 if you didnt know. Look on Barrys you tube channel. He has several dyno videos with different engine builds. There a a few new heads out for the Fe engine. Like the Survival heads and the BBM heads. These heads are pricey but there making real power. I have the edelbrock heads. Im happy with 450 horsepower. You dont want to push it above 500hp on a two bolt main block. imo..