rharden

Traction Bars for a 1970 Mach 1.

I have a 1970 Mach 1, 408C stroker and four speed. I need a good set of traction bars. The car will not be raced and I want to maintain a decent ride. I now have an old, slapper bar system that has the rubber snub that comes up against the bottom of the leaf spring. I don't care for it and was thinking about the other style that has the weld on, front mount. I still want to be able to connect my shocks and sway bar. Does anyone have a suggestion? I see several ones on the market. I like the Cal Trac, but I don't like the idea of replacing the front leaf spring bushing (I have poly-graphite in mine) with a solid aluminum bushing. Too much road noise. Thanks.    

http://www.gearheadtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?25774-Cal-Tracs-vs-Traction-Masters I read a few reviews on the net, from people who have installed both Cal-Tracs and bars like Traction Master. It seems like Cal-Tracs are bragged up more than most other types, no matter what car they were installed on. I just don't want wheel hop. The old slapper bars will hop and hopping isn't cool.    

My old 69 Cj had a set of bars that had two parallel bars at the rear end mounting pads and one bar from the front of the leafs that went between the rear bars ,you could pin the bars for a solid set up of leave the bolt out for normal leaf operation.They really hooked up good but i dont know who made them or what they were called .I thought they were Mr Gasket or Hurst but i haven't been able to find another  set any where .

I finally found them . They are Ansen Ground Grabbers .Un pinned they were like a regular traction bar ,pinned they were like a ladder bar .These things really hooked up ,especially with a Detroit locker .I have got to find a set for my 69 ,if i can't i will build a set

beaterday2bars001_zps8aeadytr.jpg

I finally found them . They are Ansen Ground Grabbers .Un pinned they were like a regular traction bar ,pinned they were like a ladder bar .These things really hooked up ,especially with a Detroit locker .I have got to find a set for my 69 ,if i can't i will build a set

beaterday2bars001_zps8aeadytr.jpg

Thanks. I have never seen a set like this. Interesting. I talked to a Chevy buddy of mine and he installed the Cal Tracs, but he didn't install the aluminum bushing. He installed a poly graphite spring bushing and everything works great, at least on the street. He said the road noise in minimal.

Those are pretty cool Ridge Runner.

Never seen a set of those.

You know Rharden the rubber snubber should be touching up on the eye of the spring for the slappers to work best but I have seen very few sets made for mustangs that make it that far up....Mine run right up to the eye but with the reverse eye springs and my set-up if I extended the bars there would be no rubber pad between the bar and the spring eye LOL so I have them touvhing the leafs just behind the eye and they work pretty good.

I am upgrading to a set of Caltracs Tho

The old slapper bars I have are too short. I bought them years ago, 1970, from a local speed shop and they probably were not the correct bars for my car. At the time, I wouldn't have known. I trusted the speed shop sales guy to sell me the correct bars. My bar snubber is about four inches short of the front spring bushing or eye. I like the Cal Tracs and I think they would be the best as far as what is sold today, for a leaf spring suspension.  

For leaf spring cars CALTRAC is the way to go.  I have a set and it eliminated all wheel hop and really hooks up well.  When I go to coilover I'll have a set to sell.

When will you be going to coil over? I would be interested, but I don't want to wait too long. Let me know.

We have the Cal-Trac on our site and the feedback we have is they don't add a lot of road noise. The front alum bushing pivots freely and stops the twist of the leaf spring in the corners so the cars ride a little smoother and handle better. Being adjustable, they let the user set them so the car will leave straight. We haven't had any bad feedback at all and they do absolutely stop the wheel hop. http://opentrackerracing.com/product/calvert-racing-cal-tracs/