Chelby-Ann

Glue In Door Glass - Feedback

So I have read as much as I can on the subject and I am ready to glue in the door glass and the back windows on my '69 Coupe. I have ordered 2 tubes of 3M 08641 Channel Bonding and Sidelight Adhesive today and should have it on Wednesday. I have mocked it all up and ready to go. I did use rubber strips however they are not solid. They are cellous so they are a little spongy. I will get a strip of solid rubber tomorrow. I guess I will cut the shims down since there are no discussions on exactly how to apply them. It all looks good. The front and rear brackets appear to follow the contour of the window. If there is any feedback I am all ears. I want to do this right and I hope I used all of the information correctly. Thanks. Bill. Posted from my Kindle.

post-14323-0-97651700-1425248284.jpg

post-14323-0-19889900-1425248319.jpg

post-14323-0-39996800-1425248363.jpg

post-14323-0-79988500-1425248396.jpg

The front and rear brackets appear to follow the contour of the window.

Bill, I think the alignment is key and it sounds like you've got it. The shim material isn't important as long as it positions the glass correctly (solid may be better than spongy). I didn't attach my shims to anything, I just inserted them in the bracket before I applied the adhesive. Then I used them as a guide to insert and position the glass. Yours looks pretty good to this amateur.

If you make a mess with the adhesive, you can use a rag soaked in lacquer thinner to clean and smooth it, and make a nice bead along the bracket. Good luck

Looks good. Make sure the alignment stays as they dry. If your adhesive is cold from being shipped I would let it sit inside for a day. If it is anything like I used it is very thick. And yes, it is a total mess. Wear some rubber gloves and don't have anything nearby you might accidentally damage.

I researched for months before I tackled my door and 1/4 windows. The 1/4 windows were a breeze. Applied the sealant and put the windows in and rolled them up in place. The doors, I'd rather scrap my car than do that again. The passenger side was a ungodly nightmare that's still on going with the alignment. The drivers door, a breeze.

Here's how I did it. I put some thick black tape on the windiw where the brackets go. I kept on putting tape til the bracket fit tight. I figured that if there's tape on both sides then the alignment has to be close. Anyways, I did this til the windows fit very tight. I applied the glue and put the brackets on. What a mess. After it set for a while I tried to put the passenger side in. That was horrible. The black sealant was every where. I mean every where. So I did the drivers door and key it dry. Much better. The drivers side lined up perfectly and was a breeze. The passenger side still won't line up. You can roll it down and roll it up and it's perfect. Do it again and it's all out of whack. I'm at my wits end with the door.

But my opinion is to fit the brackets tight on the glass and let the sealant dry completely. Then work the alignment.

I've just been through this and one thing I found was that the diagram that your using for the measurements are a little out. Trial fit the brackets and glass before you glue them . This way you can get the guide brackets spot on . Then mark on the glass were the brackets need gluing . I followed the measurements on the drawing and now I need to do it again. West Coast Cougar also has a great youtube video on this . Worth a look.

UPDATE

The 3M Channel Bonding Adhesive (08641) finally arrived after being delayed due to bad weather up north. I took my time, watched the WCCC Video 1969 Glue In Glass: The Comprehensive Repair Guide (West Coast Classic Cougar) a few times and glued in the passenger side door glass to the channels.

Pretty straight forward and relatively easy IMO.

1. Marked with magic marker the location of both channels.

2. Took 80 grit paper and roughed up the glass on both sides.

3. Cleaned the window with glass cleaner.

4. Applied the adhesive to both channel layouts on both sides.

5. Put some adhesive in the channel itself.

6. With the rubber shims still in place re-installed both channels maintain locations.

7. Applied adhesive to the stop thingy and added it to the window.

Now I need to wait 2 hours before I install the window. Will do that on Saturday.

Since I cleaned the entire channels out, I used an entire tube of adhesive for the door glass.

I bought two so I am OK for the drivers side however I will need to by a third for the quarter windows.

I will trim the shims tomorrow.

I could not have done this without the help and guidance from the members of this forum.

Thank You

Bill

post-14323-0-90330800-1426205832.jpg

post-14323-0-53640600-1426205854.jpg

post-14323-0-45469100-1426205870.jpg

post-14323-0-54885100-1426205884.jpg

post-14323-0-26028500-1426205906.jpg

Bill,

When I did one on a 69 Coupe I had back in the late 70's I used a 2 part epoxy putty that you would mix & then put in the channel, set the window in place & then close the door & raise the window & let it cure. I am converting my current 69 Coupe to the 1970 bolt in glass.

After letting the adhesive cure for 36 hours (24 min), I installed the passenger door glass. I tell ya, after all the prep and prep and prep, it was IMO an easy install. I have some small adjustments after fiddling around with it. I was so excited to have the door glass go in so easy and without any problems. Tip - just make sure that the felt line is not on the door this will give you enough room to get the brackets down into the door. The wood prevented the window from acting like a guillotine. My girls helped hold up the window while I attached the window regulator. I did have to remove my felt line. I used brake lubricant (SYL-GLYDE from AUTO ZONE $8) to lube the tracks and the guide bars. Just prepped the drivers side door for an install for tomorrow. I think I will go ahead and glue in the side lights while the track is still in the car. The tracks are clean and ready to receive the adhesive and glass.

post-14323-0-47567300-1426457353.jpg

post-14323-0-18572400-1426457369.jpg

post-14323-0-99969900-1426457383.jpg

post-14323-0-74478200-1426457397.jpg

I’m working on my door glass now. I watched the west coast cougar video multiple times and he said the factor measurement of the brackets is 1” from each end. I have the diagram that is online by Davis Suesz and it says 3/4”. Which is correct? From your pictures you look to have the same diagram. Which measurement did you go with?