Fantastic

daily rant. CJ Pony pissing me off!

The last few orders from CJ Pony have left me feeling a little less than satisfied for a few reasons. The first reason stems from the "free shipping" policy. Nothing is free. I am not an idiot and either are any of you. We all know that free shipping means they have added the shipping cost into the purchase price. So when a Canadian customer like myself is then told that we don't get free shipping, it really means that we will have to pay the built in shipping cost, and the actual shipping cost. We pay twice. 

Because I have to pay twice, I have to save up and order my parts in batches. When I do this, CJ Pony gives me reward points which almost always expire before I can save up for another batch of parts. So, I loose out on another discount.

Added to that "you're a Canadian" tax, there is the problem with the back ordered items. Several times now my order has been delayed for extended periods because one small item on the list is on back order. Rather than send the shipment of available parts and sending the back ordered item later when it is available, the entire order is held back. The delays cost me significant time and the shop moves on to other projects. With a lack of momentum on my project, other jobs get put in front of mine and there are even further delays.

Considering other things in the world, these problems are pretty insignificant. I have a good job and make good money.  I am healthy and happily married with a strong family. So, I won't rant too much. But it is a little thing that still pisses me off. I suppose if a little thing like this pisses me off, then life must be pretty good. So, I'll shut the hell up now. Rant out.

Fantastic

Added to that "you're a Canadian" tax, there is the problem with the back ordered items. Several times now my order has been delayed for extended periods because one small item on the list is on back order. Rather than send the shipment of available parts and sending the back ordered item later when it is available, the entire order is held back.

That must be a Canada only thing as well because I have never had an entire order held back because of one back-ordered item.  In fact, just last week I received a shipment of everything except 1 part which should arrive next week (hopefully).

-Mike

i have ordered alot of stuff from the mustangshop in calgary, both shipped or i drive up there for the bigger stuff. sometimes it has been cheaper than buying from usa, the one time i bought some leaf springs, i asked if they had them in stock, they had like dozens in stock.

Well, I'd say that's pretty much what all foreigners get when dealing with CJ: usual "you're not leaving in the U.S." type policy... We usually work our way around this by using "intermediates" - friends - living here in the U.S.

I personally never was impressed by CJ anyways, aside from their Website which really is second to none. NPD or Summit customer service are absolutely outstanding!

G

Well, I'd say that's pretty much what all foreigners get when dealing with CJ: usual "you're not leaving in the U.S." type policy... We usually work our way around this by using "intermediates" - friends - living here in the U.S.

I personally never was impressed by CJ anyways, aside from their Website which really is second to none. NPD or Summit customer service are absolutely outstanding!

G

+1.  VA Classic Mustang is close behind NPD for customer service.

While I enjoy browsing through CJ's site, the only time I actually order from them is when they have items in my wishlist on sale. Otherwise, I've had great service and pricing from Kentucky Mustang (free shipping over $50 without the jacked-up prices), Laurel Mountain Mustang, and of course NPD.

CJ's have a you live in Australia tax too!! My only real beef is from my last order. I'm pretty careful to only buy parts in stock for the same reasons as above, so I add 2 spring hanger kits to the cart as they are "in stock" only to find that they have 1 back ordered when I get the summary email.

I always felt like in general CJ's was one of the cheapest to start with.  So, complaining that you are paying for shipping twice doesn't completely make sense to me.  Plus they seem to have backorders a lot of the time.  I personally don't use them unless I know that backorder wasn't an issue (generally not the case since I ordered needed parts as I had money).  For the most part I simply ended up going to other distributors that charged more but where the probability was high I would receive it in a timely fashion.

So I recommend learning  from your experience and moving on.

Wait a second buddy, what's all this aboot?

hqdefault.jpg

You Canadians and your floppy heads, always complaining about something! (J/K)

Though I haven't had to buy parts in a while I have tried them all and Virginia Classic Mustang was always one of my favorites or go to's. I use to price my whole order out everywhere and give it to the lowest total or split my orders up if something was a real good deal at one place but decided rather quickly that CJ was difficult and not always timely.

Although I never got a chance to use them for a lot of stuff I will say to date that the best service I ever got though was from John's Mustang in TX, the little guy who takes care of the littler guys.

I'm heading to CJ's this weekend to return some door panels.  I bought white panels 4 years ago and never thought to open the box.  Turned out to be 71 Mach1 door panels.  CJ I guess is helping me out.  They will give me the original cost back but not swap the doors for the correct ones.  Why?  Well because the correct ones are now $70 more.  But I can understand that...

Going up there to return the box and look over a bunch of parts / get part numbers and in stock info.  Then drive back home to order over the net to get the "free shipping" / no paying PA state tax. 

I do agree with NPD being a good source.

So who wants some used 69 mach1 door panels in white?  

I rarely use CJ pony for anything anymore.  NPD is about 1 hour from my house (I guess Im spoiled)

CJ always has something on "sale" but its not on sale at all.  The red "sale" price is what everyone else lists thier normal price at.  I use CJ  pretty much as a pricing guid or for part numbers (their site is better than NPDs)

I'm heading to CJ's this weekend to return some door panels.  I bought white panels 4 years ago and never thought to open the box.  Turned out to be 71 Mach1 door panels.  CJ I guess is helping me out.  They will give me the original cost back but not swap the doors for the correct ones.  Why?  Well because the correct ones are now $70 more.  But I can understand that...

Going up there to return the box and look over a bunch of parts / get part numbers and in stock info.  Then drive back home to order over the net to get the "free shipping" / no paying PA state tax. 

I do agree with NPD being a good source.

So who wants some used 69 mach1 door panels in white?  

I bought new (white) panels but discovered later they do not come populated. I still need the cups and chrome and all that stuff that goes with them. The rest of the plastic in the interior is being painted. I ordered the "right paint" and I am still waiting to see how well it matches. When I bought this car it was a bare shell. The little bits are killing me.

I bought new (white) panels but discovered later they do not come populated. I still need the cups and chrome and all that stuff that goes with them. The rest of the plastic in the interior is being painted. I ordered the "right paint" and I am still waiting to see how well it matches. When I bought this car it was a bare shell. The little bits are killing me.

Oh yeah - just the shell.  I have the old doors so I'll move everything over.  I do have some paint and chrome touchup to do but my bits are in good shape.

Yes - paint choice is very important.  My buddy did his Chevy in white interior and the paint for the plastic pieces didn't match the seats and doors.  Looked pretty amateurish....  Felt bad for him since he put a lot of work and effort into it.   I'd suggest pulling a plastic piece (like a pillar), treat it with the conditioner and then paint.  Hold the pillar to your seats/doors and compare.  Repeat until happy (or frustrated).  You MUST get the piece clean - and I highly recommend the conditioner.  It really helps the paint setup and adhere.

I've done most of my restoration thru CJ because of the website and what I saw were the cheapest prices. About a year ago that stopped and the "free shipping" became very apparent in their pricing. What really troubled me with it though is that at virtually the same time they started using USPS as well and the shipping has been abysmal since. What used to take 3 days now takes 5 or 6. They provide no definition for what qualifies for UPS. So unless you pay for UPS ground, free shipping is subject to the shipping department's discretion. So I ask, well can you call down to the shipping department and have them provide some framework that your customers can use.. Yeah right, they make it seem like it's 2 unique companies and they can't be talked to. When pressed their response is "it's free shipping dude pay for UPS Ground."

Here is the kicker... UPS (and FedEx) started outsourcing deliveries to USPS. So even when you pay for UPS Ground it can still go to USPS at UPS's discretion and yes you guessed it.. 5 day shipping without any criteria other than Murphy "the more quickly you need it, the slower it will come".

CJ also has multiple UPS pick-ups during the day, a mid-afternoon and an evening. Order in the morning and in stock, it goes out in the afternoon shipment which cuts a day off the shipment. Unfortunately this isn't consistent either and yes no one can answer why. The mythical beast known as the shipping department can't be asked that either.

If you are looking for a vendor look elsewhere. 12 months ago I would have told you different.

Shall I continue...

Customer service, product knowledge, 60 day return policy... The list of my beefs is pretty long. Blood Pressure rising, I'll save for another day/thread.    

Just canceled my CJ Pony order due to back ordered parts, again. I suspect CJ Pony is having trouble paying their bills. It seems they don't carry parts in stock.

wow you have a lot of patience to wait over 1.5 to 2 months for parts!

So some follow up on my CJ issues.  I did return the 71-73 door panels that were sent incorrectly 4+ years ago (never opened the box).  I drove to CJ's to see what their place was like - nothing special just a sales floor and some cars.  They recently closed down their shop so no new work being done there.

Received a gift card covering the wrong doors and headed home.  Made another order from home (saves tax $) and when the doors arrived a week later they are the same 71-73 doors.  Seems CJ's BIN number has been incorrect for 4 plus years and their staff doesn't check what they ship out.

Sent back the doors and am now waiting for the correct ones to arrive.  I think I'm done with CJs.