Glenn83

Mach 1 hood scoop

Hi has anyone who is running a mach 1 scoop made a cut out out in the hood to suit a high rise manifold like a vic jr so the air cleaner kinda sits up in to the scoop?? If any one has some pics from the under side of the hood would very helpful.

Glenn

Because I don't have lights in the back on my scoop I have thought about separating that section off from the front so the hotter under hood air can escape out the back, not sure yet as I have also heard it can grab colder air from the windshield instead of the front like a cowl hood does. I did it all mostly for the cool factor anyway. When I took my car apart I found that the hood had already been cut, looked like it was the size of a shaker actually. The previous owner filled the hole with plexi then put the scoop over it and insulation on the underside so it was a bit of a surprise find.

I have seen posts in this forum where somebody fit a small oval air cleaner into an opening under the Mach 1 hood scoop.  Before you try to fit a small air cleaner into that opening you might want to at least search through K&N's tech section on suggested filter sizes.  K&N has a simple math formula that I'm sure was developed empirically through testing to determine minimum sizes for their filters.  You would probably be surprised how large the filter needs to be.  I only mention this because sometimes the minimum requires size gets overlooked.

So while on the subject here's a question I always had, were flappers that opened to let cooler air in at WOT more about gimmick or was there little to no or even negative effect at cruising speeds? I would think cooler air would always be welcomed but some flapper systems are rather complicated if they do nothing other than keep the elements out at anything but WOT.

Goodness, I just re-read my post about the air cleaner. I'll try it again to clarify, since I'm past being able to edit it.

I've made many passes with, and without the air cleaner, and there's NO measurable difference in power either way. It ET's and traps the same.

Next time I think I'll put the bottle down before I hit post. Lol