RobotMan

My Son Alex's 69 Mach 1 Restoration Initial Post

Thanks we appreciate the good feedback on all of our hard work. Maybe our sharing will inspire someone else who is not sure whether or not they should tackle a project like this. If we can do it anyone can as long as you have the determination and longevity to finish!!! I tell my wife it is "an up at dawn, mind numbing siege!!!" sometimes. But what else allows you to have this much fun and spend quality time with your son.

Rick

Have not posted in a while. We have the motor and drive train all connected. Hope to start motor for first time in a couple of weeks after the exhaust is installed. I've attached a pic of the finished motor.post-38321-0-71264400-1445820734.jpg

In an additional note my son got great pleasure in putting on the old 1969 license plate.

post-38321-0-62647400-1445820833.jpg

We installed a flow master exhaust system and started the rebuilt engine for the first time.  Broke the engine in for 20 minutes at about 2400 RPM and the goose bumps were a plenty.  My son was so excited he could not stand still.  We could not get over how nice a deep rich tone that 351W was making.  Have not got it ready to move yet.  Still got to bring the power brakes and power steering online before I can move it. But what an exciting and gut wrenching moment to hear that beauty purr for the first time!!!

Congrats!  Now to begin the debugging stage - ugh.... I'm in that stage myself, and it's not my favorite part.  You finally get the vehicle on the road, and take it for a drive, only to find some (hopefully just a few) little things that need to be tweaked, or adjusted, or some odd noise you need to track down, or some odd electrical issue.  You two seem to have done an excellent job so far, so I'm sure there won't be too much 'backtracking' to do after you enjoy that first ride. 

There's already salt all over the roads, and the snow is coming tomorrow.  Schools are closed today, and maybe they will be on Monday too.  Sounds like a good time to fire up the heater, grab your son, and get the car road-worthy :-).

We installed a flow master exhaust system and started the rebuilt engine for the first time.  Broke the engine in for 20 minutes at about 2400 RPM and the goose bumps were a plenty.  My son was so excited he could not stand still.  We could not get over how nice a deep rich tone that 351W was making.  Have not got it ready to move yet.  Still got to bring the power brakes and power steering online before I can move it. But what an exciting and gut wrenching moment to hear that beauty purr for the first time!!!

Gotta say, reading your words about firing the engine for the first time, and your sons excitement, took me back to a time when my Dad and I shared this triumphant occasion. I wasn't there physically, when you started that engine, but in a weird way, I was. Congratulations to you both for a job well done !!!

We finished restoration of the instrument cluster today. Checked all of the gauges, replaced bulbs, lenses, bezel, and circuit board. Took all of the metal housings apart, blasted, painted, and clear coated. Amazing transformation!

Who did your plastic chrome? Looks great too!

Dave