Kaspar

Cracked dash solution - tip

The speaker in my dash had been cracked for some year, which really annoyed me. My dash is dark brown and since I live in Denmark, buying and dyeing a new one would cost me a lot.

So i made a cheap solution I wanted to share:

I cut out all the area of the dash with the small holes for the dash speaker, which was completely cracked.

I then bought some speaker mesh for a 6x9 JVC car speaker. I cut and folded it to fit the hole. I realized that there was about 9mm room from the edge of the dash to the speaker mount underneath, so I folded it twice to make it a usable space.

Then I got some thin speaker fabric to place underneath the mesh, so the speaker underneath isn't visible.

Finally I got some 2mm PVC sheet, that I cut a frame out of, to cover the edges.

And now I have a new place to lay my sunglasses.

A cheap solution that cost me about $25, just wanted to share. ✌ï¸

post-16564-0-39639000-1424007893.jpg

post-16564-0-07644000-1424007913.jpg

post-16564-0-38713300-1424007928.jpg

Thanks. I know it's not for all to make modern mods on old cars. I'm the kind that use my car a lot with child seats, and bunch of great sounding speakers and a subwoofer in the back, so we often go to the drive in...  I don't mind it not looking original, just not all cracked up... :-)

That turned out very nice.

For cars that are not all original and the owner wants to save a few bucks that works great.

If you ever changed out the dash pad it will Bo all original again so no problems in my book

Bob

I've attached a picture of the PVC Sheet. It called PALIGHT Foamed PVC SHEET. http://www.palram.com/palight

I bought it in a craft-shop where architects buy material to build models of their design. I then cut it by hand and used sandpaper to round the edges. Sandpaper works fine on the material. It's very durable, flexible and impossible to rip.

I glued it on with LJF Totalseal, which is black and very strong, even with a thin layer applied. 

post-16564-0-51218700-1424260127.jpg

OK 69351c Give us some details on the dash pad

You can get PVC Foam Board at sign shops as well, they use it in abundance.

Most craft places like Hobby lobby wont have a clue what it is.

And Don't Try Lowe's or Home Depot they don't have it.

That looks great !!

I would not call that "modding", you are just fixing a dash pad that would otherwise be thrown away or covered with an ugly dash cap.

Not like you can't buy a new pad and swap it in later !!

Really ... that is the best and most O.E. Looking fix I've ever seen for the dreaded cracked '69-70 Dash Pad !!

Doug 

I was thinking about doing something similar with a mesh covering the vent openings too (the first picture in the post if before I smoothened the edges), but as I cut them clean and sanded the edges, they turned out alright. And they are not really visible, when the dash is mounted, so I'll let them be for now, 'cause if you start laying some kind of mesh over the opening the vent effect will suffer...