Sign in to follow this  
bryonbush

help locating part

The original style brackets for a passenger side outer water pump inlet should work fine.  They are being reproduced and are fairly inexpensive.  Brackets for passenger side and drivers side water pump inlets are completely different and don't intermix.  For the passenger side water pump inlet, the alternator brackets are the same as on 302's and earlier 289's with the addition of a T-shaped cast iron bracket that bolts to the cylinder head and attaches the alternator pivot bolt.

I have the original brackets off my 302. The problem is, with the 351w and these edelbrock heads, the brackets won't align with the holes in the cylinder heads. So I either have to buy an expensive kit, or $40 for a cheap metal "t" looking bracket adapter. I'm wondering if this will work http://m.ebay.com/itm/171429042747?cmd=VIDESC

I purchased a bracket kit last week but the problem was the advertisement was not correct in the description so what will not work with my motor. I'm still waiting to hear back from the company off amazon to see if they will let me return it.

That's what I have minus the T bracket. I just don't see paying $40 for one part when I can spend $70 for a new, better looking option. What is the difference between the T bracket and this type? http://m.ebay.com/itm/171429042747?cmd=VIDESC

The T-shape bracket is for a passenger side water pump inlet set up.  The EBay bracket in your link is for a drivers side water pump inlet.  Unfortunately, you cannot intermix water pump and accessory bracket set ups.  You need the brackets bernett468 shows in his post.  I also use a passenger side water pump inlet on a 351w.  I was also initially missing the T-shape bracket and went through that myself.  It's another nuance of these cars that can cause headaches.  But if you somehow manage to intermix the bracket and water pump setups the pulley's will not line up.

If you were located in Northern California I would say go and see a guy that goes by the nick name of Packi.  He buys and sells tons of used parts like this for Mustangs.

-  Passenger side water pump inlet = 1969 351W, 1969 and earlier 302 and 289  (the taller deck of the 351W necessitates the T-shape bracket) 

-  Drivers side water pump inlet = 1970 and later 351W, 1970 and later 302

thanks for the info Mach1. Wasnt sure if there were factory makes and then aftermarket ones that people have been marking up on price like the T ones. Finally starting to hear back from the seller on amazon so once thats finished i can get on with ordering the right part. 

bryonbush,  Just to be certain, make sure you also have the correct crank balancer and crank pulley to match your water pump.  The balancer should have 3 bolt holes for the pulley to attach.  The balancers and crank pulleys for a water pump with a drivers side inlet will have 4 mounting bolts.  There are dimensional differences as well for pulley alignment, its not simply the number of mounting bolts.  There are aftermarket balancers that are made to work for either setup, but the original balancers do not.

Lastly, in that picture barnett468 shows, you won't need the spacer.  That is for a 289 or 302 in place of the T-shaped bracket. 

Mach1. Everything else is where it should be. no touching of parts, rubbing, or out of line pulleys. When i was building the motor, we made sure that balancer and pulley were going to work. I did a test fit with my old brackets to make sure everything would align before i started ordering new brackets and adapters.