Sign in to follow this  
My Mach 1

AOD with Lantech Valve Body

I have an opportunity to purchase a used AOD with a Lentech valve body so it can shift normally 1.2.3 with the od lock out switch and a matching 3200 stall and a solid 1 piece input shaft and TV cable and brackets.Im replacing my 3speed FMX. My 69 Mach 1 has a 351w and this is coming out of a 80's mustang with 302. I know I will have to change the trans mount. Do I also need to change the flex plate? And what about the driveshaft? Lengthened? Shortened? Will the yoke still fit? Your advice would be awesome - thanks

Is the lenttch valve body a constant pressure unit? Meaning is it meant to not have a TV cable? If its not you will need a TV cable setup. Otherwise you will need a 5.0 starter I think, the yoke that came with the transmission because I believe that's different from fmx, and I think the fmx flexplate works...or so I have read. Driveshaft...not sure. The AOD also is designed for a cable shifter I believe, not linkage like fmx.

If the aod has a solid input shaft, doesn't that make it a three speed effectively? My understanding is that they came with the two piece input shafts for the lockup converter... Why bother switching to the aod for zero extra gears? FMX's are bulletproof...I can't imagine what one would be like with a stall converter and some aftermarket goodies.

I know nothing about the parts required for that swap.  However, I agree with lanky about it not being worth switching to an AOD if you won't gain an overdrive gear.  At least in stock form, the AOD is a fairly weak transmission and not near as strong as an FMX.

You will need the aod yoke and modify the shift linkage between the shifter and box. I'm not sure on the flexplate or the sandwich plate between block and box. I think the aod uses a 164 tooth flexplate. Driveshaft length "should" be ok with the aod yoke.

Great link by the way JD08!..Yeah - my desire to switch to the AOD is like everyone else is eng RPM when on the freeway with lower gears. I currently have the factory 3.25s in the back and want to run a True Trac LS with 3.70s which will cause my eng to rev at 3000rpm @ 60mph.Although I don't cruise on the freeway often there are 2 car shows that are about 45mins to 1hr away that I like to go to each yr.My FMX is rebuilt with a transgo shift kit and a TCS 2800 stall but the 3.25s are a little low (numerically) for the warmed over 351w. Maybe another thought would be to with a 28" tire?

OP,

What are they asking for the setup as described?  Is it fully running right now without problems?  Sounds like a good place to start a swap.  The AOD does have an overdrive gear so it is a four speed transmission.  The torque convertor is not a traditional "locking" convertor.  Is does not have a clutch pack that locks the stators.  It uses a two piece input shaft to vary the speed of the stators inside of the convertor.  By the time the transmission is in third gear both stators are at the same speed already.  Which is giving full torque and HP to the transmission.  Which has lead some to say the torque convertor is now "locked".  It is not.  At least in a traditional sense.  By using a one piece input shaft you are getting full torque and HP in all gears all the time.  You still have all four forward speeds.  B.      

It's still in his car and runs with no problems although we didn't road test it as he has no insurance right now. He's going full race with his Stang so he wants to build a race ready C4.So with everything I listed on my post he wants $1500 Canadian. I would have to purchase all the accessories to do the swap.

Hey Sportsroof69 - I'm looking to go with the FPA headers and from talking with Stan at FPA he said these headers will fit my application as well the AOD if and when I decide to go in that direction.

My father and I did an AOD swap into my '70, which was a factory 351w/FMX setup like yours. We used the factory FMX164 tooth flexplate, AOD yolk, factory FMX starter, the factory FMX driveshaft (as-is), and made a new crossmember/mount. We used a Lokar shifter adapter, but if doing it again, we'd just make one instead. Don't forget to get the AOD block plate, because it is different than the FMX plate.

BTW, $1500 sounds like a good deal on that setup IMHO.