paulb

Paul's 69 Mach1

Hi everybody, have been on this forum for around 5 or so years, gaining valuable info and enjoying everyones journeys, thought i would share mine on this site as well as one as a forum here in oz

My wife and I bought this 69 Mach1 about 5 years back, at the time with house reno's and a bussiness to run there just wasn't the time or funds to do what i wanted, so it sat in the garage collecting dust while I sourced parts and info,last year I finished the house and started on the car.

Specs: Dart block 9.2 deck,3.850 stroke,4.125 bore,scat crank and rods,AFD 4V heads,ferrera 6000 series valves,roller rockers,stud gurdles,parker funnelweb intake.

4 speed auto trans (4r70w) 3000 rpm stall

9 ich rear ,eaton locker, 3:50 gears, caltracs and mono leafs

body will remain fairly stock apart from a color change ( green to silver? as wife hates the black jade) and  magnum wheels 15x8 front and 15x 10 rear

interior will be standard apart from leather trim in mach1 specs and a set of recaro seats in front, all is subject to change,Ill try and post regular updates as i get the time

Here's some photo's of the progress so far

post-12894-0-85603300-1423885015.jpg

post-12894-0-08461600-1423885077.jpg

post-12894-0-54774400-1423885257.jpg

both front rails and torque boxes replaced,front aprons and radiator support replaced

post-12894-0-73443200-1423886330.jpg

post-12894-0-48417100-1423885365.jpg

post-12894-0-20381400-1423885536.jpg

dash being converted to r/h drive

post-12894-0-32976500-1423885689.jpg

before and after

post-12894-0-50069200-1423885828.jpg

post-12894-0-32763400-1423885978.jpg

post-12894-0-51788400-1423886197.jpg

post-12894-0-12069100-1423886270.jpg

trial fit on wheels

post-12894-0-99553600-1423886442.jpg

steering box,idler and drag link mounted

post-12894-0-12134900-1423886488.jpg

rails sandblasted and painted with por15 before floors installed

post-12894-0-75116900-1423886540.jpg

post-12894-0-91917400-1423886611.jpg

post-12894-0-00483100-1423886695.jpg

post-12894-0-73579400-1423887140.jpg

rear chassis rails strenghtened

Making some good progress, Paul!

I drove in the left lane twice in the US without realising what I was doing. Driving head on into on coming traffic. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong until the last second. 4 days of flights travel with next no sleep does that though.

I have 3 LHD cars, after a week it becomes second nature driving around here in Aus. Look like a fool though to get in at the servo when you go to the wrong side of the car and there is no steering wheel in front of you. I do that all the time getting into my RHD cars now.

The weirdest sensation of all is changing gears with the opposite hand. That feels all back to front more to me than the seating position.

Being in a RHD country too I've made the very occasional return to the wrong side of the Mustang - usually when I've just paid for fuel and am trying to wedge the paperwork back in my wallet. Not got as far as actually opening the door, just making a 'diversion' in my path, ahem...

We have the added fun of being close to Europe, so we can drive over there in a matter of hours from leaving home and vice versa. It's slightly nerve wracking as some people completely forget and don't immediately drive on the right the second they exit the ferry or train. D'oh.

Most wrong side accidents don't happen at the terminals - it's usually a few hours in when you stop for a break, relax for an hour or so and then do an Ash as you're no longer on high alert for driving on the right.

One day I'll get to drive mine in France on the correct side of the road!

Paulb, have you re-used all the dash and steering gear and 'simply(!)' created mirror images? Impressive work!

TimFF 

I would like to see a little detail in just what you have to do to convert to right hand drive ,us lefties don't have a clue .Very nice work so far .

I sold a 65 GT convert to a guy in Australia ,couldn't believe it when he told me he was going to convert it to right hand drive ,guess that is what you need to do when every one drives on the right hand side though .

We don't have to convert them any more, Ridge Runner. Now when they are 30 years old, or 15 years old in some states, they can stay LHD. The rule used to be though it had to be converted to RHD and the guys doing the conversions charge a hefty sum to do so.

I had a drive of my mates RHD 70 Mach 1 with a stroked 393 Cleveland and 4 speed top loader. Driving the car is no different. But putting the foot E-brake on while already having your right foot on the brake pedal after coming to a stop, that was just awkward. You'll be fine though Paul on that as left foot braking an auto is easy.

As Ash said converting is not mandatory,but I won't be selling it so while I'm going this far in restoring it,I figured that I would convert it while I could.

I didn't take any photos of the dash while I had it cut up,what I did was take measurements then screwed it to the table before cutting it in four places ,the centre were then swapped across and tack welded,there has been a lot of fiddle work to have it line up and it's not yet finished,with what I've done the steering wheel will be in the same place as it was on the left side,a lot of conversions have the wheel about 30mm offset ,which I'm not a fan of,plus I wanted the air conditioning vents in there,the steering box is from a local falcon with power steering,the drag link is from a 70 model falcon and has been shortened,welded and x-rayed,I used templates from the guy who modified the draglink to mount it all, then holes were drilled and crush tubes fitted to the rails,I'll post more pics as I progress with the conversion,but for now I will be concentrating on the floor pans and rear sheet metal. As for the hand brake I've got one off a ba falcon, it should allow me to keep the original console as it mounts to the side of the tunnel

I live on the Gold Coast in Australia RPM

As for the hand brake I've got one off a ba falcon

I've done the same and kept a BA one too. I drilled out the spot welds on the bracket where the two cables meet and kept it as well. Hopefully I can adapt the entire BA cable set-up.

I may need to adapt the BA cables to my coupe as the Hopper Stoppers rear brake kit I have is a BA set up.I wonder how the handle being on the RH side of the tunnel would go in a LHD car. I have an AU sedan that I'm thinking of stripping here. Same e brake set up.

Nice progress Paul good to see the 295's on the rear. 

I wonder how the handle being on the RH side of the tunnel would go in a LHD car.

This is going to take a bit of cut and shut but hopefully I can mirror image it enough to work.

May need to build a cage around it so you don't have to modify the h-brake itself, the cable and all should word as they go back to a t piece where the two rear cables meet , I may have more room next to the seats as I'm putting in recaros,time will tell

Yes they do haha.

Hoppers mention using a modded VN Commodore cable if using the original foot brake so I might look at that. They want $250 for their cable 8(.

You should be able to get cables made up cheaper than that, you can buy the cable and ball ends then solder on at the length required