Glenn83

351w water pump

Just putting the final touches on my 408w, it's got a new Flow cooler drivers side outlet water pump. I just purchased a V belt pulley kit from CVF Racing. My problem is the water pump pulley is to far forward for all the belts to line up. Does any one know if there is like a long or short nose water pump to suit??post-37856-0-52081400-1423647143.jpg

i had the same problem with my set up with an edelbrock water pump and march pulley.  I bought a ford racing crank pulley spacer to line the belts up.  What you have to do is take a carpenter square on the crank pulley and the measure the distance from the square to the pulley grove.

I think you'll need to buy longer crank pulley bolts as well, depends on how long they are now.

Is your Windsor a 69 with a 3 bolt crank pulley and accessories? The water pump you installed is the 70 and later style. If you are running the early wp pulley you may need to get the later pulley. Check with CVF.

I have a Flow Kooler water pump and CVF pulleys also,  for a 1974 351w.  There is a note on the CVF website about needing a .95" crank pulley spacer if you have an aftermarket damper.  I have a stock style so everything lined up.  I will attach a pic of my setup without the water pump pulley don't know if it will help.

post-37301-0-31607700-1423673529.jpg

Check the items Rsmach1 mentioned.  If your kit from CVF Racing and your balancer are for a 1969, you need a water pump for a 1969 which will have a passenger side outlet.  The accessory drive brackets, water pump, damper, etc. for 1969, are different than 1970-1974 on 351W motors.

sstry1969:

Just curious, not trying to be critical, have you tried to fit your hood with an air cleaner using that RPM Air Gap intake?  The only way I could do it is to remove the choke horn from the carb.  Otherwise, by the time I fit an air cleaner under the hood with enough hood clearance, the air cleaner lid was only about 1/4 inch above the choke horn.  Eventually, I got rid of the RPM Air Gap intake.

Thanks for the replies,I've been sending emails back and forwards with CVF, i will see what they can come up with, because its way out at the moment. Its a shame because its really nice lookin stuff.

I think what you will end up having to do, is go with a early style (pass side inlet) water pump to solve this. If not I believe you will have to change all the brackets to the 70 and later style, and get a crank pulley spacer. If CVF does have a pulley or another way to fix this please post it for future reference.

I think what you will end up having to do, is go with a early style (pass side inlet) water pump to solve this. If not I believe you will have to change all the brackets to the 70 and later style, and get a crank pulley spacer. If CVF does have a pulley or another way to fix this please post it for future reference.

Did I miss something.  Are 69 accessory drive brackets and balancer being combined with a 70 style water pump?  If so, like I mentioned earlier, they don't intermix.  In fact, I run a flow cooler water pump, 69 style with passenger side inlet, and it looks much shorter than the water pump in Glen83's picture.  That may be the entire problem.

Did I miss something. Are 69 accessory drive brackets and balancer being combined with a 70 style water pump? If so, like I mentioned earlier, they don't intermix. In fact, I run a flow cooler water pump, 69 style with passenger side inlet, and it looks much shorter than the water pump in Glen83's picture. That may be the entire problem.

No you didn't miss anything, Glenn never answered if he was using the 69 style brackets, the more I look at the pic he posted the more it looks like that is the problem. You are 100% correct, the 69/70 stuff don't play nice with each other lol.

I'm very empathetic as I'm going through the pulley alignment battle on my 408w as well right now, but I'm using a combination of factory style pulleys and a mish mash of aftermarket brackets. I don't have anything constructive to contribute but thought I'd let you know you're not alone. Misery loves company afterall.

I'm very empathetic as I'm going through the pulley alignment battle on my 408w as well right now, but I'm using a combination of factory style pulleys and a mish mash of aftermarket brackets. I don't have anything constructive to contribute but thought I'd let you know you're not alone. Misery loves company afterall.

Hmmm yes it's abit frustrating, the guy at CVF racing said he will sort some different size spacers for me and post them off but that was over a week ago now, they seem to think my flow cooler water pump is an odd size... I'm almost tempted to buy another water pump and try it.

Glenn83, have you compared the water pump dimensions on drivers side vs. passenger side inlets?  The passenger side inlet water pump is shorter by between 5/16 and 3/8 inch.  If that is amount of pulley misalignment, it would suggest your CVF brackets and/or pulleys are incorrect if your goal is a drivers side inlet water pump setup.

My 2 cents.  In these cases my instincts tell me a larger mfg., like March, might have better customer service simply because they can more easily absorb the any loss associated with correcting the situation.

I'm curious what the final culprit is that's causing this.  

Just an update got it all sorted out, big thanks to CVF racing pulleys, they sent out some new spacers free of charge (to Australia!!) and were more than happy to help, it all lines up nicely now. Look pretty tidy as well I think.post-37856-0-10243400-1427176881.jpgpost-37856-0-50098900-1427177025.jpg

post-37856-0-10180100-1427176702.jpg