MustangBobby

Craftsman tools. WTF

I found out, not too long ago, that the "go to", American made tools for the average at home mechanic, are now made in China.  I had a hard time believing it when I heard, so I went down to Sears, and sure enough, the wrenches, ratchets, sockets, all Chinese made.  The screwdrivers still said USA, but I'm sure that is just the stock that is left.  One more American made company dead.  Hold those American made Craftsman tools a little tighter the next time you use them.  And maybe think twice about using a screwdriver handle as a hammer, because that free replacement will be from China.  Time for me to find another brand.  It was a sad day.

I am afraid nothing is made in the US any longer .It is all from China ,Taiwan or Mexico. You have to wonder what it will be like in 20 years ,there will be know one in the US that will know how to make any thing .We will be dependent on other countries for everything I blame it  on the so called Government ,over taxing , EPA ,Insurance companies, And us for going along with it .

Very sad indeed.

But they probably make more profit now their stuff is built in China. Basic supply/demand mechanisms, plus the companies being free to go export their activities wherever they want to. A Chinese employee costs less - much less, in fact - than an American employee. Or a French, German, English or Italian one. And materials are cheaper as well, leading to some serious drops in quality. Sadly enough, big companies are more profit driven than quality driven... I personally try to chose better quality when I can. Back home, "Made in France" stickers have made it back on packaging. It usually means 20% to 50% more expensive, but better "home made" type quality and gives you the feeling your money is going in the right direction. Here in the US as well, I try and buy "Made in the USA" products, especially when it comes to my Stangs.

In France, our top shelf brand for tooling is FACOM, a French company that goes back to 1918, and is now reaching worldwide (except for the Americas, go figure...), under the larger Stanley Black & Decker company. FACOM is top shelf professional quality, but very expensive as well. As a DIY guy, I only have a few of my tools coming from them. They too have shut down factories in France and Germany, to open new ones in Taiwan...

So the question is: would it be acceptable for company owners to have a government that forbids them to do what they (or their shareholders) want, in the name of quality, customer satisfaction and the ability to retain craftsmanship in the country in the long term, at the expense of short term individual profit increases? I think that's the real question. A though one as well...

G

I may have out of data data but a few months ago I was looking through tools and there are certain things made in china and some have a different name or branding but the combination wrenches and sockets were still U.S. made.  Some of the ratchets weren't though.

I use some Craftsman tools, but not much any more.  They are one of the best for DIY users.  But I've broke too many sockets and ratchets.  Also, sometimes the box end wrenches too bulky to fit in small areas.  Plus the sockets and wrenches don't hold on to a bolt or nut near as well as any of the main professional brand tools.  Slowly switched over throughout the years a little at a time to Snap On, and Matco.  Found out very quickly when I was younger working as a GM technician Craftsman tools couldn't hold up to daily use.  They have a good warranty, but a tool breaking during the middle of a job is not good regardless of the warranty.

It is sad another US company's products are now being imported.  Sometimes a significant manufacturing reduction can be necessary for a company to survive.  But other times its not, and its merely corporate greed to increase profits for shareholders and directors which doesn't seem right to me.    

Well, I just got back from my first time at SEMA, and Craftsman had a booth.  I talked with one of the guys, and they have an "Industrial" line of tools now, that are made in the USA again.  They also said the screwdrivers are still American made.  Then they tried to explain to me that the standard Craftsman stuff is just as quality made as before, but I shut him down, and didn't want to hear anything about the chinese tools.  Just wanted to let you know that if you find the Industrial line, it is once again American made Craftsman.

The direction changer on the ratchets is plastic ,i dropped one and the damn thing shot out like a rocket to the moon and i never did find it .I suppose i could exchange it but it would be the same garbage as before .I have some old craftsman ratchets and they have metal direction changers....and they still work . The wrenches seem to be fine but i did strip out a 3/8 on the box end so i am not sure how good they could be if a 3/8 nut can strip a wrench .

Looks Like it is worth researching.

Sears is selling 8 piece combo wrench set for $89.99 on sale   Item Number 00942404000P

Summitt Racing is selling Craftsmen Industrial set, identical sizes for $124.97 free shipping.   009-24621  (made in US description)

Those prices are close enough to buy the higher quality tools.

JIM