Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Clock lens !

I finished restoring all my wood grain dash parts, just changed out all the dash lens for new ones.

All I have left to do is the clock lens, does the knob for adjusting the time just pull off?

I don't want to break anything, also this lens is glued on, is that normal or has somebody glued it on in the past?

Thanks.

The knob is screwed on to the shaft. Take some needle nosed pliers with some rubber to protect the shaft if it is tight. Both of mine unscrewed by hand. It depends on how well the interior has been kept through the life of the car I guess.

I did not think the lens was glued, maybe a perished rubber seal?

Where did you find the clock lens for the 69?

I agree with SA69mach, I've done a few clocks and each time I've been able to grip the shaft below the knob and screw the knob off. You may find others telling you to remove the gear in the back which is pressed on the shaft but I have found the safest easiest way was to just unscrew the knob from the front. Once I had to also grip the knob with a pair of pliers as it was really tight on the shaft. I just used some thin leather from a glove to protect the knob from the pliers.

To answer your question about the lens. Yes, some we actually glued on while others were attached with the 3 screws that hold the clock. The glued ones are an SOB to remove without damaging the housing finish. I can only suggest to use a dremel toll to remove as much of the clock lens around the seam/glue or where it meets the housing and an exacto knife to separate the lens from the clock.. be careful, it can be a bear. Just be patient.

The second clock I worked on was glued on. I thought some Dumba** had glued the damn lens on till searching on ebay for parts I noticed several used clocks that also had glued lens's. The ones that are glued do not have mounting tabs for the screws. 

The knob is screwed on to the shaft. Take some needle nosed pliers with some rubber to protect the shaft if it is tight. Both of mine unscrewed by hand. It depends on how well the interior has been kept through the life of the car I guess.

I did not think the lens was glued, maybe a perished rubber seal?

Where did you find the clock lens for the 69?

All the mustang places have this now, depending on where you look it goes for between $55-$60