Sign in to follow this  
texas_snake

Want to see a video of what Blue LED Console Lights look like on your 69 / 70 Mustang. Here you go...

I started to look into converting my dim stock console lights on my 69 Mustang to Blue LED's, but only found a few rough pictures and nothing specific to 1969 or 1970 mustangs.  So to give back to the cause after taking the plunge, I put something together that hopefully helps the next guy.  More videos will come around other work I did on the dash.

Hopefully that helps. 

Doug..

I bought them from CJ Pony parts and are made from Scott Drake.  But I "think" Scott Drake gets them from Mustang Project.  Part MP-6973-LED-GA-BLUE.

I have 2 parts numbers on the bag:

MP-6973-LED-GA-BLUE

SD-6970-GA-BL

Note - They mention that our year has polarized connections for the plastic plug in lights that twist into the circuit board.  This is very true from my experience.  I don't remember if I had to flip the bulb or the plastic holder on some of them, but one of the two had to be flipped where things did not work at first.   

I bought a bunch of the cheap ones off ebay and replaced a lot of bulbs... even some of the exterior lights for next to nothing.  They've all worked so far.  I'm attracted to the idea of those led kits but given how many parts I have to replace on my mustang, I couldn't see spending a premium... but that's just me.

david

I did this upgrade as well.  Much brighter and looks great.  Also bought some red and green ones for turn signal indicators, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091YV1F4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These worked great and the dimmer still works.  All LED bulbs are current gates (meaning they have a positive and negative terminal and if they are backwards they will not allow current flow).  They will only work when installed in the correct direction.

Shane

Hi Doug,

I want to thank you for your post.  The subject matter got my attention because my own instrument cluster was pretty dark and the gauges almost impossible to see in any conditions let alone low light. 

After seeing the results you achieved with LEDs I was enthused enough to actually upgrade my own Mach 1.  I started out with a package of LEDs and then found out I needed a replacement flex circuit.  Before the new flex circuit arrived I realized that I might as well replace the lenses while I was at it.  When I got my instrument cluster and dash reinstalled and turned on the lights I was blown away by how good it looks.  I have been looking through seriously clouded lenses for so long I didn’t know how bad it actually was.  Now with the LEDs in place it is better than new.

Thanks again for the motivation.

Kyle T

69 Mach 1 in Candy Apple Red

Orlando, Fl.

If all your current bulbs work and you install the LED lamps in the correct orientation, they are plug and play.  I'm guessing Kyle T had a problem with his printed circuit prior to trying to install LED lamps.

Thanks.  May do this down the road.

When you install these do you have to remove the blue plastic bulb diffusers? I just rebuilt my cluster, new lens, bulbs, diffusers, etc. I haven't installed it yet, I think I may order these off Amazon.

I did not remove the diffusers.  I had a couple clusters and chose the best ones from all the clusters but I did reinstall the diffusers.

In contrast, I went with "original color".  I've included a picture here so you can see how it looks in contrast to the blue version above.  I left my original blue plastic color bubbles in when I put my LEDs in.  The version I bought was designed to reproduce the original color via LED in the original color bubble. 

My LEDs are supposed to be dimmable - I made sure and bought a set that said it would do that, but so far I have not been able to dim them.  It very well could be my dimmer switch as I have not checked it out....

It is important to note that LED's need to polarity to be right to work.  If polarity is reversed, they won't come on.  Despite following the diagram carefully, I missed one or two.  I suggest that after you hook up the dash harness, you check each bulb to ensure it is working properly.

-Jay

post-14729-0-50710000-1426801506.jpg

The ones I bought from Amazon aren't either. I spoke with someone at one of the parts houses regarding this and I was told "Led's aren't dimmable." I am by no means an expert so I don't know if this is a true statement or not. Jay, where did you get your bulbs? Are they white and the blue diffuser changes the color a bit?

Thanks,

Matt

The ones I bought are from here (elite kit for $70):

http://www.hipoparts.com/1965-73-ford-mustang-led-gauge-light-conversion-kit/

Very nice kit.  Everything I hoped for except for the dimmer thing, and honestly I haven't debugged that yet.

I know they should be dimmable, so just need to figure why before I button up the dash

Jay

I did this upgrade as well.  Much brighter and looks great.  Also bought some red and green ones for turn signal indicators, etc...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091YV1F4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These worked great and the dimmer still works.  All LED bulbs are current gates (meaning they have a positive and negative terminal and if they are backwards they will not allow current flow).  They will only work when installed in the correct direction.

Shane

how many do you get in the kit or is the amazon price for each?