Sign in to follow this  
RobotMan

Antenna Question

I have installed repop fenders on my son's 69 Mach.  The passenger side fender did not come with the antenna cutout.  Was thinking maybe not adding antenna cutout, as the old type antenna sticking up just causes problems and is prone to damage.  Has anyone installed some other type of antenna in place of the standard mount antenna that is less vulnerable and obtrusive?  I am not too concerned with the car not being like the original but most practical.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Rick

Many moons ago my brother replace the oem antenna on his 65 with one the could be pushed in manually, then pulled up with a key. Many folks now use a power antenna.

I put a power antenna in my Mach1. Had the stock hole already drilled in the stock location. I got the antenna off of Ebay and it hooked up and mounted real easily. Only thing is, I had to remove the passenger door to get it in but that was no big deal.

I did something different...   I have an antenna mounted in the trunk, actually laying in trunk well on right side.  A small replacement rubber/ plastic one about 18".  Ran the coax through the sill plate on pass side under dash to radio.   Works great, nothing to worry about and invisible unless trunk is open

I have installed repop fenders on my son's 69 Mach.  The passenger side fender did not come with the antenna cutout.  Was thinking maybe not adding antenna cutout, as the old type antenna sticking up just causes problems and is prone to damage.  Has anyone installed some other type of antenna in place of the standard mount antenna that is less vulnerable and obtrusive?  I am not too concerned with the car not being like the original but most practical.

Thanks in advance for your input,

Rick

I have a standard type electric antenna fitted in the passenger rear quarter.  Flush fit when down, with chrome fittings.  The motor fits easily in the trunk area with simple brackets.  Easy to install or replace.  Cheap, effective.  I bought the car like this, although the PO never had any controls or a switch installed  (don't know why)

Anyway, you need a small cheap "6 position switch" to operate the antenna up and down.  A momentary switch is best, so you can stop it wherever you like.  I drilled a very small hole in the front facia of the armrest of the console.  Plenty of room for the switch.  Simple wiring.  You don't even see it unless you really look. Available from many vendors on ebay or amazon.

I also like simple things that work, and don't intrude too much on the original look of the car.

FWIW I have seen posts from owners with factory original 69 fastbacks with supposedly factory mounted antennas in the passenger rear quarter. (not a power antenna, just a stock)  I remember one post of a 428 CJ  in a 69 Mach 1.  Since radio antenna were fitted by the dealerships, NOT the factory, I guess a lot of strange things went on.  There are other threads on antenna mounting, and I know that a power antenna CAN fit in the front fender, but man, it is tight, and you will need to remove the door to install it.  I don't see that as practical, but it is able to be done.

I am running the stock antenna in the original location on the rt. front fender.  If you want something different, I'd go with what MAD IN NC did.  Inside the trunk sounds like a simple clean installation.  Hidden, yet still works well.  Power antennas seem kind of cool until they quit working.