rchappelear

what headers

started looking for headers for my build, what are your guys oppinions or suggestions

351w stroked to 418ci

AFR 205cc outlaw heads

TCP manual rack and pinion

Mcleod bellhousing for a 164 tooth flywheel

TKO600 trans.

If you need more info please let me know

thank you

Ryan

consider the 157 tooth flywheel and the smaller bellhousing to allow yourself a little more room.

I had FPA stepped headers on mine with TFS high ports and they hit everything imaginable.  Those ports are raised about 0.75" versus 0.3" (I think) on the AFR.

You need 1 3/4 tubes for up to around 5800 rpm and probably 1 7/8 for more rpm, especially if you run at higher rpm a lot . . the step headers are an inbetween option.

The flanges should be 3/8, most are 5/16 which is the bare minimum you need.

18 gauge headers are  c__p, 16 or 14 gauge is best but hard to find for your app.

i would run remflex gaskets or soft aluminum ones.

5/16 flange, 1 3/4, 18 gauge

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-6208hkr/overview/year/1970/make/ford/model/mustang

5/16 flange, 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 step headers, 18 gauge

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-85008/overview/year/1970/make/ford/model/mustang

1 3/4, 16 gauge, 3/8 flange, mid length

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d669y-r/overview/year/1970/make/ford/model/mustang

5/16 flange, 1 3/4, 18 gauge, slip fit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-85007-6/overview/year/1970/make/ford/model/mustang

number 6. 1 3/4, 16 gauge, 3/8 flange

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/fpaindex/Mustang1.htm

https://www.accufabracing.com/mustang-exhaust

Ryan; 

I have a 351w stroked to 418ci, AFR 205cc heads, TCP manual rack and pinion, Quicktime Bell and TKO trans.  The 1 3/4 full length FPA headers fit perfectly.  One tube barely touched the QT bell flange on the left side.  I ground 1/8 clearance on the flange edge.  No bumping or touching anywhere.  Awesome headers, they are the ones to go with.  Alan      

tough choices

the accufab and the FPA headers look really nice and are in the $800 range

the doug's D669y headers are nice, but mid lenght in the $600 range

the hooker, hedman headers seem nice but older tech and some fitment issues hear and their in the $300-400 range.

Do like Maxum96 photos of his headers, they look nice!

Well just placed the order for Accufab headers!!!  i think between the FPA  and accufab it came down to customer service.  I have heard too many bad things regarding FPA after the sale, and just talked with the sales rep at Accufab and the first thing he said (install it beat it to hell to get it to fit, then send it back to me and i will modify it till it fits perfectly for you)

DONE!

Well just placed the order for Accufab headers!!!  i think between the FPA  and accufab it came down to customer service.  I have heard too many bad things regarding FPA after the sale, and just talked with the sales rep at Accufab and the first thing he said (install it beat it to hell to get it to fit, then send it back to me and i will modify it till it fits perfectly for you)

DONE!

well that was a good answer, lol.

what thickness are the tubes?

what thickness is the flange?

what size are the tubes?

are they stepped or single size tube?

DONE!

I hope your experience is better than mine with Accufab.  At the time I purchased my Accufabs,  everything that would affect header fitment was stock on my 70 Mach except the AFR 205's (not a problem with 1/8" raised exhaust ports).  The Accufabs arrived and looked beautiful with the coating.  The fitment was horrible, they needed at least 3 tubes cut and replaced.  George Klauss wanted me to ship them back at my expense, tube replacement and re-coating at my expense.  And it was really expensive.  I said they should stand by their product due to it be a stock fitment, Georges response "they are custom header, you bought them you keep them" and he hung up.  I worked it out with Visa and got my money back.  There is nothing nice I have to say about George Klauss and Accufab.  I have never had such a bad experience.  I HATE ACCUFAB.  On the other hand FPA replaced my headers due to a defect, with no charge and no hassle.                  

I hope your experience is better than mine with Accufab.  At the time I purchased my Accufabs,  everything that would affect header fitment was stock on my 70 Mach except the AFR 205's (not a problem with 1/8" raised exhaust ports).  The Accufabs arrived and looked beautiful with the coating.  The fitment was horrible, they needed at least 3 tubes cut and replaced.  George Klauss wanted me to ship them back at my expense, tube replacement and re-coating at my expense.  And it was really expensive.  I said they should stand by their product due to it be a stock fitment, Georges response "they are custom header, you bought them you keep them" and he hung up.  I worked it out with Visa and got my money back.  There is nothing nice I have to say about George Klauss and Accufab.  I have never had such a bad experience.  I HATE ACCUFAB.  On the other hand FPA replaced my headers due to a defect, with no charge and no hassle.                  

ACCUFAB should have offered to refund your money from the beginning.  I've learned some lessons over the years.  I had a similar, but less costly experience with a speedometer.  The odometer didn't work and they were being difficult to exchange it, repair it,  or refund my money.  Thankfully, it was just that the odometer wasn't assembled correctly and I was able to fix it.  I try to see the red flags before I make purchases.  For the most part, I steer clear of small companies for parts.  Some of them feel they don't make mistakes and are difficult to work with when issues arise. 

Alan_mac  sorry to hear the bad experience and i think some things registered with him cause he does not ship them coated and states the shipping cost on the purchaser when we talked.  We talked for 20mins or so of the ins and outs of the process and what he'll do and what he does. 

So i think he must have learned a lesson to stress the details so the purchaser isn't surprised.

Alan_mac  sorry to hear the bad experience and i think some things registered with him cause he does not ship them coated and states the shipping cost on the purchaser when we talked.  We talked for 20mins or so of the ins and outs of the process and what he'll do and what he does. 

So i think he must have learned a lesson to stress the details so the purchaser isn't surprised.

its all good and well to make a part that doesn't fit and let the potential buyer know that it will be corrected for free, however, its totally bogus to make a part that does not fit then charge the customer for shipping both ways . . make the f'n thing right or pay all the costs . . its not like its for a one off ferrari race car and he has to guess at the dimrnsions, he has made these for this app before.

if a connecting rod fails due to mfgs defects and it takes out my entire engine, they better be buying me a new engine instead of just giving me a new rod.