Sign in to follow this  
Kris01

Acapulco Blue/Pastel Gray

Hypothetical question, I'm just wondering...my car is actually New Lime.

Ford seemed to use the color code D and 6 randomly to represent A. Blue and P. Gray. How can you tell what the car actually used to be if it has been stripped in the past of its original color?

I have heard a few reasons for this.   One I heard they changed in middle of year but I don't really think this is true.   Secondly I have heard that ford only used 6 as Acapulco blue paint code.  Pastel grey was code D. I read that ford put into some early literature (written before cars went to assembly) color codes that were incorrect.  This data has been passed down.  Not sure if it is true.  I have two code 6  1969 cars one built 1/6/69 and other 5/19/69 both are Acapulco blue per Marti and were this color at build (I see original paint in doors and ect).

Most of the information I have found lists 6 as the code for Acapulco blue but I have found that is for non-Mach 1 cars. The code for a Mach 1 Acapulco blue with matte black hood is 65. Have researched this some as our Acapulco blue Mach 1 has the color code 65. I think all the Mach 1s with the matte black hood have a 5 added to the standard color code. A lot of the on-line decoders do not have the Mach 1 color codes.

Most of the information I have found lists 6 as the code for Acapulco blue but I have found that is for non-Mach 1 cars. The code for a Mach 1 Acapulco blue with matte black hood is 65. Have researched this some as our Acapulco blue Mach 1 has the color code 65. I think all the Mach 1s with the matte black hood have a 5 added to the standard color code. A lot of the on-line decoders do not have the Mach 1 color codes.

Yep you are correct the 5 means that it has a matte back hood treatment.   Even if the car is a black one!

Don't know why that engine showed up there and it wont let me delete it.

My color chart shows D as Acapulco Blue and 6 as Pastel Grey for 69 . It also shows D for 1968 as Acapulco Blue .

Color codes for 1969

A -Raven black

B- Royal Marroon

C- Black Jade

D- Acapulco Blue

E- Aztec Aqua

F- Gulf Stream Aqua

I- Lime Gold

M-  Wimbledon White

P -Winter Blue

S- Champagne Gold

T- Candy Apple  Red

W -Meadowlark Yellow

Y -Indian Fire

2- Lime

3- Calypso Coral

4- Silver Jade

6 -Pastel Grey

A number 5 beside a paint code stands for Matte  Black hood.

How can you tell what the car actually used to be if it has been stripped in the past of its original color?

there is almost always some sign of orig color somewhere . . it is often gound in the trunk on the bottom side of the package tray if you have one or elsewhere in the trunk.

My color chart shows D as Acapulco Blue and 6 as Pastel Grey for 69 . It also shows D for 1968 as Acapulco Blue .

Color codes for 1969.......

The codes you have for Acapulco blue and Pastel Grey wrong,   Has been confirmed by Marti.   I brought up this issue in VMF today were the color chart was wrong and was confirmed by a MCA judge to be wrong.  Here is the link,   Also has the note from marti included in it,  http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/834785-paint-codes-wrong.html