Sign in to follow this  
Kaspar

Rear window moulding

I have a 69 Grande Coupe.

I've never really liked the moulding around the rear window. Maybe if I had a vinyl roof, 'cause it looks a bit like some fake leather.

I've seen a pictures of a '70 with a chrome trim around the rear window, which looks better. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere (to purchase). Where might I find it and would it even fit the 69?

Or any other creative solutions around that moulding?

Thanks.

I have a 69 Grande Coupe.

I've never really liked the moulding around the rear window. Maybe if I had a vinyl roof, 'cause it looks a bit like some fake leather.

I've seen a pictures of a '70 with a chrome trim around the rear window, which looks better. But I haven't been able to find it anywhere (to purchase). Where might I find it and would it even fit the 69?

Or any other creative solutions around that moulding?

Thanks.

Hey Casper.

I felt the same way and did something about that.

When I had my car in for paint and some bodywork on the new metal, I had told them my intentions and they had to do some body work around the lower part of the window because Ford did not "finish" that area since it had that molding and vinyl roof. There is a lot of work that goes into this mod. That was not the only thing that had to be one. This trim is not reproduced, to the best of my knowledge and had to buy OEM off donor cars. That took awhile. Even when I got a set of 4 I could use, I had to remove some dents and scratches. I have a extra set that if your good at repairing SS Trim we could talk about. I also had to add posts for the lower trim clips for the 70 Mustang Coupe window trim.  Searched high and low for actual measurements for the location of the clips. In the end I was absolutely happy with the results and look. I can send you pix and measurements, etc. if you'd like. Any way I can help, I'd be glad to. I thought I had posted some pix so you might have to do a search. Any way's PM me with your email address and I'll send you what you are looking for to help decide.

Bill

post-14323-0-55182300-1421711512.jpg

post-14323-0-51074200-1421711621.jpg

post-14323-0-99425500-1421711740.jpg

My 70 coupe was missing the molding when I got it, and the window leaked. I got a gasket, and found some trim on ebay. I just did a quick check and there is a set on now, for 100 dollars complete. They are not reproduced after-market, but there are still a few being parted out and wrecked here and there.

If the ebay set is not to your liking I guess craigslist or similar. For info I paid about 160 dollars for my set 18 months ago. here is a link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Mustang-Grande-Vinyl-top-rear-window-trim-428cj-cobra-jet-/321211389200?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac9b0d510&vxp=mtr

The window channel on the 70 couple has about 12 flathead studs welded in place around the perimeter. The studs hold the trim spring clips, which in turn, hold the chrome trim in place.

The trim sits flush against the rubber of the window gasket, and you need the clips to keep the trim firmly seated.

Very difficult to remove the trim from the clips, so make sure you have sealed the window perfectly before installing the clips and trim.

The studs look to be spot welded in some way, and I would recommend that method to avoid leaks, and ensure a solid fit. I have heard of people using screws, but usually only after repairs to replace a stud that rusted off. You might think you could screw the clips in place, but it leaves no room to pull the window gasket in cleanly. And there is no way to push the gasket down to drive a screw in after the gasket and glass are in place.

I guess you could try welding a flat head nail of the right dimensions, but a stud welder would be the best bet.

I'm working on the rear window trim of a '70 coupe. So far I found the clips and I have the trim polished. Was nice to see what some good 'Belgom' aluminum polish can do. Still have to see if all of the flathead studs are in place. The Mustang had some repairs done around the back window (leaky vinyl roof) a few years back, before I owned it. I'm now waiting on the clips to be shipped and delivered before I start taking the window out for a new gasket.

Just wanted to follow up on the question I started in the beginning of the year. I ended up not finding a '70 chrome trip, but used the original '69 molding I had.

But I had it all smoothened out instead of that rough surface and painted in the same color as the car, so it now just looks like the rest of the sheet metal.

Am attaching some photos (don't know why they are rotated when they attach to the post!?).

post-16564-0-21594700-1435511373.jpg

post-16564-0-36380100-1435511382.jpg

post-16564-0-31961300-1435511391.jpg

Just wanted to follow up on the question I started in the beginning of the year. I ended up not finding a '70 chrome trip, but used the original '69 molding I had.

But I had it all smoothened out instead of that rough surface and painted in the same color as the car, so it now just looks like the rest of the sheet metal.

Am attaching some photos (don't know why they are rotated when they attach to the post!?).

Looks great.  How was the molding flattened?

Ah, what's the word...? I'm danish, so I'm unsure. Is it called Metal plaster? You know, filled it out with whatever the painter use to fill out and repair sheet metal. And then sanded. Done multiple times, cause the sheet metal is so thin. I know it was a bit of a pain in the ass to do, but definitely worth it.