Fordrevhead

Shop Air plumbing and parts

I've been putting this off but before Spring I'd like to hard plumb my shop including filters, regulators, etc. I don't want to start a debate over types of pipe, etc but it seems that the pricing on regulators and filters are all over the place. I want something that will last 30 years, no leaks or cracked castings, etc. Can anyone recommend the best value brands and sources out there? Thanks

I can't vouch for regulators because I've had pricey units fail on me and a cheap Harbor Freight units hang tough. The regulators and  filters  Lowes sells (can't recall the house brand) have worked ok for me. They're nicer than Harbor Freight but not crazy expensive.

I installed a RapidAir nylon system in my garage several years ago and I have 3 drops/3 filters/4 regulators in my garage. It was a breeze to install and, much to my surprise, has never leaked (or malfunctioned in any way). If money were no object I would have installed pipe but the nylon suited my needs. But this thread is not about types of pipe, as you said. :)

My compressor room is seperate from my two shops ,i ran the thickest plastic pipe i could find and glued it very well .It has been there for about 10 years now without a problem.Wish i could say the same about the hose couplers ,i replace them constantly .

I hate a hissing coupler .

I built my upright compressor into a room under the attic stairs with a full size access door. The lower end of the room stores firewood in the winter and usually tires, abrasive chop saw, battery charger, etc in the summer.

Yeah even high end brass couplings are junk in 3-4 years in my shop. Reducing the number of those I have to replace might be a cost justification.

Lol Are you buying from Harbor Freight?

Try Milton through Northern Tool or almost anywhere, Parker-Hannifin out of Canada, CEJN out of Sweden but through Global Industrial.

No they are lowes,i use my air a lot but they should not wear out that fast .I started using the quick couplers and so far they have been better. Although if the coupler does not lock on the tool and it blows off, it blows the guts out of them .

I don't mean to detract followers on this forum but there is a ton of this kind of info on anther forum called Garage Journal. They talk HVAC, plumbing, concrete, construction, electrical. You name it-they talk about it if the topic relates to garages. Very entertaining and informative.   Dave R.

There are 2 different types of quick connects that are the same style.  They have different lengths of the tip, the shorter tip will fit in and sort of click in but pop off so keep an eye out for that.

I understand the want/need for cast or blackpipe.  Are you running a dryer at the compressor to reduce moisture (to reduce rust in the lines)?

Also, I have found that mounting the coupleres facing DOWN causes the fitting to last a bit longer because it releives stress at the joint and will buy you some time in the long run. 

Been cold a foggy here the last few days ,Down around 35* ,My air tools freeze even with a moisture trap. They get so cold they get frost on the outside . Even burned my fingers with the cold air coming out of them . My air hoses get so stiff they are like a coil of wire .

I had another quick coupler blow today ,another Lowes coupler . Nothing like 150 psi .spraying dirt and crud in your face .It was like trying to catch a very angry snake hissing and spitting crap , LOL. I looked at the nipple on my air sander and you can see where the bearings inside the coupler actually cut notches in the part of the nipple that the bearings lock over . They are supposed to be matching coupler and nipple ,What has happened to tools lately ? The Lowes screwdrivers melt once you get oil on them and turn into a sticky mess  ,they are the ones with the blue and grey handles .Getting angry !!

Regarding regulators, I prefer the Norgren Filter/Regulator combos. It takes some patience on ebay and familiarity with their part number coding, but I ended up with a lot of 6 combos with 1/2" fittings for about $50 + shipping. They are built like a tank and have had zero issues with them. The ones I have have automatic draining filter bowls (float raises high enough to trigger switch to open).

Example with 3/8" fittings:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/norgren-filter-regulator-B72g-3ak-qd3-rmn-/281623256282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41920ddcda

Wilkerson is another quality brand.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILKERSON-B08-02-FK00-Filter-Regulator-6-46-In-H-1-58-In-W-/221576635050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3396ff22aa

I prefer the composite bowls over the glass bowls, but is mere preference. I wouldn't get the cheap generic HF filter/reg/lub combos, but thats just me.

Mine has been there for 10 years and no problems .

PVC is extremely dangerous and will explode with a light bump (or sometimes no bump). People have been seriously injured and killed by exploding PVC air lines. They become very fragile over time and expansion of the walls due to fluctuating pressures add to this.

Just one of many examples:  http://www.wave3.com/story/17113807/explosion-at-fairdale-factory-injuries-reported