dennyb68

Would you run this FAN??

As long as it is no larger in diameter than 17.125 inches it will work without hitting the lower radiator hose.

I run a similar one on my 302, but will probably change out to the clutch fan this season, with the conventional stock fan to suit.

A few horror stories of the fans coming apart at high revs, and taking out the hood, fan belts, air con power steering etc.  Have not experienced that over the last 5000 miles and two years myself, but to be fair, I am wary of them.

They are very noisy, noticeable even over a rowdy exhaust. They can move a lot of air at idle which you'll notice if you're tuning the carb or fiddling under the hood.

Curious to hear why you're bailing on the electric. Most guys go from he flex fan, to a clutch fan, and then a handful go to electric.... In that order.

I had an electric fan fail on the other engine and things got pretty hot before I was able to get pulled over and shut it down. I want to change over to the blade and shroud just so I know that when the engine is running the fan is moving air. The fan that failed was a slim design that mounted in the center of the radiator and worked well before it failed. The fan that I replaced it with was thicker and I had to mount it to the right side of the radiator so about 1/3 of my radiator has no air from the fan flowing thru it.

I've seen blades break off of that style fan.  Take a look at Derale's flex fans.  In my opinion Derale has a good quality fan.  If you consider a clutch fan be certain to look at the max RPM spec on the clutch.  It is usually fairly low.

Ford made lots of fans in the 70's that were stainless with 2-3 flexible blades... they worked well and were built strong... I'm doubtful you'd ever find one that lost a blade.  Anyways if you went to a junkyard you could probably pick one up pretty cheap.

david

Aside from the reports of the blades coming off of that style of fan (thankfully, I haven't experienced it myself), there are also some concerns about the blades becoming straight at high rpm, and therefore not moving air at that speed.  This would only be a potential issue if you were doing a lot of hi-rpm driving, such as road racing though.

For regular driving duties, it will probably work fine.  I'd make it a point to regularly check the rivets and blades on that fan though.  If you ever detect any play in them, replace the fan ASAP.

NOTE: I'm referring to the style of fan pictured in the OP that was (maybe still is) commonly available in auto parts stores for years.  Some were cheaply built.  I'm not referring to an OEM style fan.

Before I would go to that fan I would check in to a Ford Contour dual fan setup if you have the room and have the large radiator. Fans are available both used and thru Rock Auto Parts and I would assume other vendors

I ended up using a ford taurus fan, single fan, because of my rad size. No regrets for 30$ From a local pic and pull.

Before my taurus fan I ran a spal electric fan. It was the only thing that would cool my 351c. She used to run hot no matter what until I switched over to electric.

I am kind of with Denny.  The electrical fan is one more thing that can fail.  I suppose a normal fan can also fail because of a bad belt, but you need the belt anyway to run the water pump.  So what is the real advantage of electric fans?  They usually require you to get a larger alternator also.  So why bother? 

For me, I like to shut my fan off on the highway, because I don't need it, and sometimes after some spirited driving I like to leave my fan on with the engine off. I really depends on the cars set up for sure, to use electric or not.

My thoughts are if your application doesn't truly require an electric fan, such as it might for racing, then don't use one.  They may seem like a great idea. . . . . until it fails or the brushes simply wear out and your spending another $200 or so to replace it.  In most cases, they are much noisier than a flex fan or rigid blade clutch fan.  I've never replaced a good quality flex fan and only replaced a couple of fan clutches in my time.  But I've replaced at least a couple dozen electric fans.  Plus, they tend to draw a lot of electrical current which is something else you need to consider.

I would rather install a good flex fan, like a Derale, or a good clutch fan setup, before an electrical fan.

THAT IS NOT MY THUMBNAIL.  SECOND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED WITH THE NEW FORUM SOFTWARE.

I have a controller on mine with the high side fan on a switch so I can turn on at any time when needed. My  engine has been hot rodded so I like the extra cooling and I added a 3g alternator so that fans, msd, stereo, and halogen lights on relays work properly.

On the road late model components will probably be easier to find and are engineered to go 100,000 to 150,00 miles should any problems arise.

Different strokes for different  folks.

On on of my other car (SBC), I had a cooling issue,  thought about the flex but gave up due to;  1.) Noise, 2.) cools at idle and city driving but, 3.) at highway speed it is restrictive and effectively a blocking device between radiator and engine.  So I went from a 5 blade to 7 blade w clutch and the car nows floats around 180 to 200 degrees.

For the Mach1 ended up going with a "pusher fan" on the outside of radiator as the serp/ March system did not give me the clearance I needed on the inside of radiator.  To augment the fan I added a new thermostat housing ($20 from NPD) in order to put a 180 degree sensor in it and have the car wired so at 180+ the fan comes on automatically and shuts down around 170..  

All good.  If I drove 50,000 mile per yr I would have gone fan/ clutch but the Mach1 might see 2k per year max so I'm not worried about the issue of life expectancy...  the price you pay to make the car run great and look good i figured........

The fan is 15 1/2 X 24" and just under 3" thick.. My plan is to wire this up and if one fan fails the other will still run. I like the clean look under the hood with the electric and the safty when working under the hood. From what I've read these fans are awesome. This sucker really pulls the air if any birds fly within 5 feet it will suck them into the radiator. I will run a controller. I had these other fans already and the shroud so i'm out nothing except the $30 I spent on the fan..The advantage is 10 HP from what I can come up with..

I'm planning on running a clutch fan, however, when I was test fitting the setup, looks like I need a 1/2" spacer to clear the crank pulley. Any reason I couldn't run a short spacer between the water pump and clutch?