Sign in to follow this  
RobotMan

Quarter Panel Extensions

I have not permanently installed yet but my repo extensions  fit the repo quarters pretty well .  That being said there are some difference in the two as far as shapes are concerned because the originals did not fit the repo quarters to well at all. I have to say tho that both my originals had the part that goes down behind the bumper broken off and evidence of being hit and could have been warped some.

Dave 

Put the seals in and put them on the car and tighten them up.

Get them as close as you can then smear some filler over both the extension and fender and block sand them while they are still bolted up.

Loosen the nuts and then bang them with your hand and it will start cracking where the seam is.

Take them off and tidy up the edges on both the extensions and quarter and youll end up with a perfect fitting extension.

Of course this only applies if you are doing bodywork on the car.

If you are just adding new extensions them you will probably just have to make do with how they fit.

Even originals don't fit that great.

Aside from the repo's, is there any chance the quarter extensions for the sportsroof would have been made with fiberglass versus pot metal ?

The ones on my brothers car were fiberglass and seemed pretty old. They even had the ford p/n molded into them. They did not fit the repo full quarters we installed all that well but we made a fixture and warmed them up and tweaked them to fit pretty good. The fact that they are fiberglass means we can modify as needed to match the quarters perfectly.

Aside from the repo's, is there any chance the quarter extensions for the sportsroof would have been made with fiberglass versus pot metal ?

The ones on my brothers car were fiberglass and seemed pretty old. They even had the ford p/n molded into them. They did not fit the repo full quarters we installed all that well but we made a fixture and warmed them up and tweaked them to fit pretty good. The fact that they are fiberglass means we can modify as needed to match the quarters perfectly.

Yes some did come with fiberglass, I know a car that came from factory with one fiberglass and one pot metal. I don't know if there was a problem with getting the metal ones at some point and ford had some made from fiberglass or what but they do exist.

Dave