Sign in to follow this  
Rcodenewf

Trunk measurement needed 70 convert.

I removed both rear quarters , taillight panel, wheelhouses etc. I did brace them well up through the wheelhouse opening. Just installing the rear quarters etc and I get a bit of variation from side to side so I want to make sure everything is square. Need the measurement in the photo. I went from the ledge of the dropoff to the very top of the lip where the trunk weatherstrip goes. Much appreciated.

John

Edit: I can't seem to upload the photo? I have it saved on my desktop in a folder. Tried to upload and get " Error This Upload Failed"

Anyone else having issues uploading? thanks...John

Yes for sure Pakrat ..I agree with you. My measurements from side to side differ only is 1/8" but I'd like to see what the general consensus is and I can build to that. Everything else I've replaced on this car (90% of the sheetmetal..lol) has been within .1 degree with my digital level so I'm at least trying to keep it square.

Thanks...John

Hey Pakrat. Tried to send you a private msg but no luck. If you get a chance this weekend I'd appreciate you checking that measurement for me. I got one from Zudman and another local one and there's quite a discrepancy. Just like to see what the norm would be. thanks...john

Would appreciate it . Just trying to get an average of several measurements. I know these won't all be the same and for sure some final adjustments will have to be made at the rear especially when everything is cut off. Regards...John

These measurements would probably have a little variation because the gas tank is not positioned in the center.

If your measuring from the gas tank flanges then youd be in different spots on the filler panel because it has a slight curve to it which would give you some variation side to side.

The tank is slightly to the left hand side so the measurement on the right would be slightly bigger than left side.

Yes, that makes sense 70Fastback: I was also trying to see any variations...not necessarily from side to side ...but from mine to others on the forums. Measuring mine and theirs on the left and right and then comparing each others measurements as I felt mine sagged down somewhat prior to me getting a support in vertical. And you're right, the left side is narrower than the right due to that offset in the location of the tank.

And, having a devil of a time trying to get the outer wheelhouses in place. I had posted several months back that the wheelhouses fit like crap but am just getting back into this project on a daily basis.

The quarter panel fits very nice in all areas. Now the test comes with the inner wheelhouse. With it in place the seams of the two halves are out past the dropoff edge by about 3/8 of an inch. My understanding is that they are supposed to line up.

Again I'm struggling with where to fasten the inner height wise as a starting point prior to putting the outer on. As both then have to enable the outer lip to mate with the quarter lip.

I tried to install them loosely, install the quarter in the correct location and then pull them down to fit but it's not easy.

Open to any suggestions or comments on that seam and installing these wheelhouses.

Thanks...John

Thanks 1969vert.Your measurements are the same as zudman. I'll go with  that for sure....thanks a bunch to both of you!

John

Sounds like you have what you need. One comment on the inner wheelhouse, you do know that you have to beat that down flat with a BFH right? Ford didn't make a convertible specific one but the top wont retract if you leave it in perfect condition.