Sign in to follow this  
coz

What do you all think?

I have a question for you all - Do you think my Mach1 is worth 25k in it's current condition?

A little background: The 408C cracked a tie bar on the #5 lifter and though the pieces went directly to the oil pan (huge oil galleys) the lifter turned 90* and scratched up the cam pretty good. I've replaced the lifter and the engine will start but it needs a new cam. Otherwise the car is in great shape and has a bullet proof drivetrain minus the 408.

So I was about to drop 40K and pro-tour it but now I've been offered a great but limited time opportunity to buy a Cobra.

The Mach is worth more but with the engine the way it is I think 25k is about all I can get. So what do you all think? Not about the Cobra but whether I can get 25k. The Cobra is a helluva lot more than 25K.

I would certainly think so based on what is done to it, BUT. I think you are limiting your perspective buyers with a hurt motor. You might want to consider fixing the issue and asking quite a bit more for it and have a much larger audience. Understand that the timing may not work for doing that, but I would think a decent shop could swap a cam fairly quickly if you didn't want to tackle the work your self.

Either way I would think the selling time would be longer than any repair time it would take to fix the cam.

Always liked your set up and good luck with whatever you decide. Just throwing another options out there.

I think you are limiting your perspective buyers with a hurt motor.

I agree. There are a lot of people that just want a turn key car that won't even look at yours. I running car is a lot easier to sell.

I would certainly think so based on what is done to it, BUT. I think you are limiting your perspective buyers with a hurt motor. You might want to consider fixing the issue and asking quite a bit more for it and have a much larger audience. Understand that the timing may not work for doing that, but I would think a decent shop could swap a cam fairly quickly if you didn't want to tackle the work your self.

Either way I would think the selling time would be longer than any repair time it would take to fix the cam.

Always liked your set up and good luck with whatever you decide. Just throwing another options out there.

I feel the same, not to mention that regardless of if 25K is more than fair any perspective buyer is going to use this to try and get you even lower and waste your time.

So you would really rather have a Cobra eh? I hope at least it's a real deal and not a fiberglass kit car on a 90's Mustang platform.

Thanks for the replies.  Totally agree the best way to sell it would be with a functioning engine.  I just have no desire to add any money to the existing engine.  I think maybe what I'll do is if I can't sell it as it sits I might pull the engine, sell the good parts and then list the car as complete minus an engine.

Pak - I've got a couple of possible ways to go.  One is a CSX continuation Cobra.  A guy in MD bought all the bodies from Carroll Shelby back in the late 90's and now is selling them.  A roller is going for 109k.  add another 30K for an engine worthy of the car.  For that money I might buy the Backdraft Cobra and a 2016 GT350 or 5.0 convertible.

Well good luck whatever you do Coz.

Factory Five is in my neck of the woods, I have been there several times now with Chepsk8 from Stangnet to help him load up his projects to trailer home to PA. They make some pretty good stuff and have an amazing showroom.

coz,  choices, choices, choices.....  a continutation is a true differentiator in the world of Cobra's being above the kits, original tooling and hold value more so.  ques is have you ever been in a long ride in a Cobra?  top down only...  

Did ya check out the aluminum body Kirkhams?  Built in Czech from site where MIGS were built back when.  Work of art! 

re a new car.  The GT350R was just released Monday and is a true track car.  no back seat, AC etc.  Carbon Fiber wheels. brakes etc....

myself,  I hope to get one of the 1,200 new Ford GT's in two years when they roll....  might have to trade mine and the house in against it though.   It to is more of a race car in design and cost.

Good luck on what ever you do and thanks for the help in the past.  One thing I know is that life is way to short and I'll maximize the time I've been given

Hey Mad - long time....  I've been in a few - stiff, noisy, windy but still a lot of fun.  But I hear ya - they aren't Caddys. The best ride I've been in is the Backdraft.  I have seen the Kirkham and like them but I'd want one with a modern drivetrain.   I saw the new GT - very nice.  Let me know if you ever let your current one go.

The GT350R is cool - I'm interested in the new 5.2 and the magnetic suspension.

Not a fan of the Factory Five cars - they appear to be the "chevy" of the kit cars.  For the same price the Backdraft is a much better ride IMO, Pak - up by you is Vintage Motorsports. They do Backdrafts. 

I've been giving more thought on dong the Mach - went over some of the numbers again and most just went up now that it's 2015. Go figure....

For now I'm going to tear into the interior.  I have a complete one ready to go in so by the time I'm done hopefully I'll know which way to go.

So I've decided to start a pro-tour type build on the Mach.  I've pulled the interior and looked it over - about the cleanest 45 year old car I've seen.  I'll have lots of parts for sale and some just to give away.  I'll start listing them as they become available.  I do have a decent, original black carpet with red inserts if anyone wants it.  Also - the original door panels minus the hardware if you need a set of white.  Carpet and door panels are free if you are in the area and can pick up.

Items I will be pulling / up for sale;

- 4.5 mid-eye leaf springs - globalwest

- Caltracs bars

- magnum 500 wheels 7x15 and 8x15

- Heads from a 351C/408 stroker - flow 375cfm

- FPA ceramic headers for 351C

- Torker II 351C intake

- Pro-Systems 950cfm carb

- lifters/rods/pistons/other internals

- 7 quart Canton oil pan

- front suspension with SSBC disc brakes

- rear drums - upgraded to 11x2"

- brake booster

- heater box / heater controls

- Mach1 clock

- non-tach instrument circuit board

- original wiring harness (if I can keep it intact)

- radiator

- dizzy, wires, msd AL6

- KYB shocks

- dash

I'm sure there's more as I get into it.  I'll start a list in the parts for sale forum.

no illusions of free stuff for me, and I'm not in the area, but if you have any of the white plastic trim bits from the interior that are not staying with the build, please let me know. I have new white door panels, but they come unpopulated. If you are ditching the cups and inserts or any of that stuff, I'll pay for the shipping hassle and then some.  

He lives in the MD area. Pics and price of the oil pan.

Finksburg I believe to be precise.

I think I would be interested in the larger rear drum setup, I've been wanting to do that for a long time now.

So glad you are keeping the Stang BTW, I would have hated to Ban you! ;)

Yep - I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.  Most of the interior is out and the floorpans and underneath are cleaner than my 2012 Tacoma.  Didn't find anything too cool on the tear out.  No build sheet or bag of cash.  Found a screwdriver (but I think it's mine) and found some tags on the back of the back seats.  Any idea about these tags?  Thin metal 3" tags with stamped numbers.