schweigert

69 coupe with boss side decals opinions

I have a 69 302 red coupe -

Its not a boss but i really like the side decal they have, and feel like my car looks naked without it.

Im torn between using the decal that says boss 302, or the grabber version thats solid without text

I dont want to be a "poser" - since its a coupe and not a boss - just wondering if any other coupes have put on the boss decals?

image with 302 - http://www.graphic-express.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/940x587/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/0/501-2_1.png

grabber version without text - http://www.graphic-express.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/940x587/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/1/610-2.png

is there another option I can use?

Heres my car -

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-15/1172954_584686734913649_2143753571_n.jpg

I am not a big fan of the solid (non BOSS script) stripes. This is a subject that is all completely subjective. About 50% will hate whatever you do, and 50% will think it is cool.

You have to be strong with whatever you choose, because you will get lots of comments and some will be mocking, some ignorant, some angry. choose what you really like. BOSS 302 ? sure, why not. You wont be fooling anyone that it is a real BOSS, but if you don't car, then that is the end of it.

Personally, I think the coupe styling is enhanced with full length stripes over hood, roof and trunk, including the valances. Striking and very in your face, yet sporty in a Le Mans way. That's my opinion, .....get ready for about a million more.

The only opinion that counts is yours....

I have a 69 302 red coupe - Its not a boss but i really like the side decal they have, and feel like my car looks naked without it. Im torn between using the decal that says boss 302, or the grabber version thats solid without text. is there another option I can use?

in addition to the ones below, you can also get custom graphics https://azautographics.com/

. . . . . . . . . . . 1969_fastback_candyapplered.jpg

1969_mach1fastback_acapulcoblue.jpg

Edited by barnett468

I have a 69 302 red coupe -

Its not a boss but i really like the side decal they have, and feel like my car looks naked without it.

Im torn between using the decal that says boss 302, or the grabber version thats solid without text

I dont want to be a "poser" - since its a coupe and not a boss - just wondering if any other coupes have put on the boss decals?

image with 302 - http://www.graphic-express.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/940x587/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/0/501-2_1.png

grabber version without text - http://www.graphic-express.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/940x587/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/1/610-2.png

is there another option I can use?

Heres my car -

http://photos-b.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-15/1172954_584686734913649_2143753571_n.jpg

Hi, really nice car you have... It's your car and your decision. Who cares what others think... do what you want to it. I'm sure it will look good no matter what you do. I would suggest to be tasteful but in the end it's up to you... post some pics when you get it done....:rockon:

Not a fan of stripes on a coupe but if I had to choose, I'd go with the solid stripe. Just my .02 cents. Although a solid stripe like the one Barnett posted might look good. The big C stripe looks better on the fastback than the coupe.

As a committed modifyer, I STRONGLY agree with what others have said in that you should do whatever you want to do with YOUR mustang.

On my '73 Grande, I took a similar approach as I like the hockey stripes on the '71 Boss 351 so I used those without the lettering. From my perspective a Boss 351 will not touch this car as it has a LOT of modifications that go beyond what the Boss had to include the 472 inch motor (429 Block with 460 crank bored .060 over), suspension mods, a LOT more HP (and TORQUE) and more creature comforts . I don't consider my car a "Poser" but a vast improvement on what was available from Ford.

As to your query, my personal preference would be for the stripes without the lettering but either approach will work just fine, in my opinion.

my $.02.

BT

boss stripes on coupes screams "poor mans boss" lol no offense. As a coupe owner, I wouldn't recommend going this route, it just doesn't fit well with our models especially if you have side scoops it just looks off to me.

maybe you can get a GT side stripe that fades into your side scoop like the newer Cali Special mustangs or if look at the old 68 cali special great way to start or infuse the mach 1 stripe where it fades into the scoop

I didn't think about the cal special....

What if you built it as a cal special for what ford would have done for 69 had the made them. You could use most of the stripes and emblems with the side scoop and the shelby tail lights.

I think that would look kind of cool

Or how about doing up a shelby-de-Mexico

Bob

I didn't think about the cal special....

What if you built it as a cal special for what ford would have done for 69 had the made them. You could use most of the stripes and emblems with the side scoop and the shelby tail lights.

I think that would look kind of cool

Or how about doing up a shelby-de-Mexico

Bob

that was the original concept i was going for my car, I even thought of caling my car a Vintage FR500 Concept (Fr500c) or a "Twister Special coupe version..

Your car, do what you want. I'm going to put 70 Boss 302 hockey stick stripes on my car even though it's not a Boss. Personally, I like the 1969 Boss 302 stripes with or without the Boss 302 in it. If I had a 1969, I'd use the 69 stripes.

that was the original concept i was going for my car, I even thought of caling my car a Vintage FR500 Concept (Fr500c) or a "Twister Special coupe version..

I like that idea...

A very early prototype to the FR500

There's nothing wrong with no stripes, I think it looks great just as it is. I always thought I would add stripes of some sort to mine but I love the simplicity and clean lines without them. It's your car, do what makes you happy!

That's where I am...originally wanted '70 Boss stripes since I have a '70...then felt that was overdone. Then, I wanted the '70 grabber stripes that look like the '69 Boss stripes without the words. However, I'm now happy with no stripes and think it looks great like that.

Stripes/no stripes...don't think it matters really. Just get the real thing if you do. I never liked stripes on the side of a ride that are painted on and look similar to the original stripes, but are obviously not the same. It just never looks right to me. I appreciate the extra work from folks, but it just doesn't look good to me. Just my $0.02.

Funny enough, it's the same thing with a hood scoop for me...originally I wanted a shaker, then a Mach 1 scoop...then a Cougar Eliminator scoop. I'm very happy without one, but if I did, I'd get the Cougar scoop.

I got mine from Graphic-Express, but I had them make a 351 since I have the 351 Cleveland. Because of the reflection of the Sun, it looks golden and sometimes grey. They are a reflective decal for safety reasons, just like they were in 69. I was very happy with the quality.

10-04-2014022_zpse2f159d0.jpg

10-04-2014029_zpse55ff6b3.jpg

Edited by prayers1

At risk of getting laughed off the forums, my car was repainted with the rockers black when I was in high school. I also painted the scoop black and I really liked how it looked. This is an ancient pic showing it (circa 1981) - but I am throwing it out there to give you an idea how it looks.

This car is just now running again, and I'm struggling with the same area of "stripes, no stripes, racing stripes, paint rocker panels or not, hood scoop color etc." I really agree with you about the boss stripes, I really like them a lot, but don't wanna be a poser. If i do a "boss like stripe" I have decided it will not have lettering.

Anyway, as MikeStang mentioned you can do rockers in black as another option. I did them long ago a bit higher than just the rocker panel, and then also did front and rear valences in black.

See what you think.