Sign in to follow this  
po51

Edelbrock

Anybody running a Edelbrock Air Gap intake in their 69 with a 351W? My concerm is with it sitting up higher is their an issue with the air cleaner hitting the bottom of the hood?

Thanks, Steve

Anybody running a Edelbrock Air Gap intake in their 69 with a 351W? My concerm is with it sitting up higher is their an issue with the air cleaner hitting the bottom of the hood?

Thanks, Steve

I had the same concern and I was between the Weiand Stealth or the Air Gap, from what I was told as long as you have a low profile air filter u shouldn't have a problem clearing the hood.

I went with the Weiand instead didn't want to risk it. Im sure others will chime in here.

Here is my personal experience with an RPM Air Gap manifold on a 351W in my 1969 Mach1.

1) Manifiold by itself fits fine.

3) With a Holley 700 CFM DP carb there was only 3/4" from the bottom of the hood to the top lip of the choke horn.

Will it fit?

1) If your carb has a choke horn ---- no it will not fit. By the time you get an air cleaner to fit under the hood with enough clearance to not hit the hood, there is not enough clearance between the air cleaner lid and the choke horn. Holley recommends 1" clearance from top of choke horn to air cleaner lid.

2) If your carb has no choke horn you should be able to get an air cleaner combination to fit.

I tried it when my carb had a choke horn and never drove the car because I was thought the air cleaner would hit the hood. Summit Racing was kind enough to take back the RPM Air Gap manifold.

I've heard some people run it with a choke horn on their carb and let the air cleaner bump into the hood occasionally.

I have since removed the choke horn from my carb but left the choke mechanism in place for fast idle and I may try an RPM Air Gap again.

If you want a dual plane intake for street use. The Weiand Stealth is hard to beat. It works better then the Performer RPM.

I have a Weiand Stealth and I absolutely love it.

351W with mild roller cam, 600 cfm Edelbrock Performer carb, 4 speed Toploader and 3.00 in the rear. Still running stock Windsor heads for now. Best combination for street / cruising I've ever had in 20 years of driving a 69 Mustang. Only my personal opinion.

G

Edited by Guillaume69

I found the stealth didn't fit correctly with a shaker. The shaker ends up on a rakish angle. I use a Performer RPM that has been Stage 1 ported and flow balanced, each runner is ~285 CFM. The stage 1 made a big difference.