Sign in to follow this  
MN69Grande

Few dumb Coupe Package Tray questions

These questions seem dumb but I'm having the oddest problem. I bought a fiberglass package tray but it just doesn't seem to fit. The lip that flips up in the back, if I'm measuring right, is 1.5 inches to tall in places. This seems like to big of an error for a part like this. So if anyone could help that would be great.

1.) Does everyone else's (coupe owners) metal divider/package tray have holes for 4 x 10 speakers, laid out horizontally? The only photos I see online don't look like that. It almost looks like a tray from a 68 was used in my car.. is that possible? The motor and trans are stamped 68.

2.) Has anyone else used one of these fiberglass trays? Any fitment issues?

3.) Is it a big deal that the rear glass is already installed? Is this maybe just an order of operations issue? Though I REALLY don't want to pull out the glass.

I already stupidly modified the tray to have built in speaker grills and installed 4 x 10s under the metal tray. I'm hoping I didn't just waste a lot of time modifying this part and a handful of dollars on the part.

*Added Photos of Tray

Edited by MN69Grande

I checked my 69 Coupe & my metal package tray has the 2 oval speaker holes stamped in the tray with 2 holes towards the back & 2 holes toward the front of the both speaker holes. If you need a pic I can take one tomorrow in the a.m.

My metal tray has 4 x 10 speaker holes horizontally. Which brand of fiberglass package tray did you get? My original pressed cardboard(?) one is in horrible condition and will be getting a replacement sometime and I'd want to steer clear of the one you got if its not fitting anywhere near properly.

A member here Chelby-ann IIRC he used Masonite for the rear package tray on his 69 Coupe.

Mike - I saw that tread after I purchased this tray. The nice thing about building my own that I didn't think of at the time, was I could have wrapped it in the same Vinyl that the custom seat covers are made from. The one nice thing about the this tray is that it was easy to paint with the interior paint. I'll probably just have to cut it down a little.

My metal tray has 4 x 10 speaker holes horizontally. Which brand of fiberglass package tray did you get? My original pressed cardboard(?) one is in horrible condition and will be getting a replacement sometime and I'd want to steer clear of the one you got if its not fitting anywhere near properly.

I'm not sure what the manufacture is but here is the product link for the one I bought. It is a good think piece of Fiberglass and it did paint up easy. it just doesn't seem like it is going to go in without a bit of modification.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/package-tray-fiberglass-coupe-1969-1970/p/PT12/

Here are some photos and more infomation. The back rises up almost 3 inches above the main/bottom part of the tray. When I measure to where I think the gasket would hold the tray down I get 1.5 inches. That is unless the tray is supposed to go in before the gasket. Then I'm not sure how tall it should be.

Anyway I already spent too much time on this thing drilling the holes for the speaker grill; nearly 700 of them... seems like it wasn't as good of an idea now as it was originally. But I do like how that turned out.

Edited by MN69Grande

It looks like it needs some trimming. It is supposed to tuck under the lower part of the window gasket but can be installed/removed with the window in place. The outer corners on my original come to a point as it just starts to go up the sides of the window. Mine is buried in the garage right now and not accessible. The rear edge should be a slightly concave in shape to match the window shape IIRC.

Looks to me like a trim to fit part. The part that curves up looks like it is wavy as you got it

Oh, and I hate it when package trays rattle against the metal. Install some of that stick on felt stuff between them to avoid that

Bob

Looks to me like a trim to fit part. The part that curves up looks like it is wavy as you got it

Oh, and I hate it when package trays rattle against the metal. Install some of that stick on felt stuff between them to avoid that

Bob

I actually have a piece of insulation to go between. So as long as I don't over trim I should be ok and shouldn't have any rattle. This will probably be a chore to get a good fit. But at least it sounds like everything else is normal.

Thanks everyone for your help!

If you had your original (or access to one), you could lay the old one on top and mark a cut line and subtract for the thickness.

I've got my original one still in my car and bought the masonite replacement version from CJP. In the pics on CJP it shows it as being molded like OE, but it came flat with a crease that I'm assuming it will bend nicely from (yea, right). Grain texture looks good and it is already painted Semi-Gloss Black, but I'm disappointed it was not pre-formed !!

If you would want to drive over to the east side of Wisconsin with your new package tray, I'd yank mine out so you could mark a cut line !!

Doug