Sign in to follow this  
sdswriter

Buying a Boss 429 back in the day (1969)...

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge they could share on buying a Boss 429 (or similar) back in 1969? Was it simply a matter of going to a dealership and ordering one? Or was this car available only at certain dealerships and you had to be lucky enough to find one, or have the right connections?

I'm asking because I'm writing a novel partly based in 1969. One of the characters is a pilot who has six months remaining on his tour in Vietnam. During a short leave in early 1969, he meets with his brother and asks him to order or buy a raven black Boss 429 for when he returns. It's a cash purchase (the pilot gives his brother his bank account info, etc.).

I've got plenty of info on the specs, options, etc. But I'd really appreciate any related experience or knowledge you could provide on the actual buying process in 1969. Thanks!

Usually you can go up to any dealership and have one pre ordered and they'll have one built and delivered from the factory or if they had one there then you can just buy it locally

Thanks for the confirmation... such a simple process. Who would know then that only 858 of them would be made?!!

From what I have learned is that the Boss 429 started life as basically spec'd out as 428 Cobra Jet cars then sent over to Kar Kraft in I think it was either Brighton or New Brighton Michigan where the folks there did the conversions to the 429. That was the early cars then I had heard that they were spec's the same but had a six in them for transport to Kar Kraft. There was an assembly line of sorts where all of the front suspension mods were made along with the revised brake booser and shoehorning that shotgun motor in the engine bay. Production ran for about 18 months Jan of 69 through Aug 70 I think.

The first 50 69 model year cars got the more radical detuned race engines then the later got a tamer street version. I had done some resarch on these cars many years ago and I have stored my notes so I am going off of memory. The 1969 model year cars had less color choices on the outside. the interiors were all black. One or two got a folding rear seat and same with rear spoiler. The 70 model years you got more exterior color choices and black or white deluxe or semi deluxe interiors.

Most of these cars were destined for serious street racing duty and were modified from the get go. Many also had issues with the heads and fell victim to warranty motor work around 10000 or so miles. I have read a few ccounts of garage find 429s that were parked and left in owners garages due to this.

Some sat on dealer lots long after the 69 to 70 model year due to the high asking prices of these cars.

No doubt they had to be ordered well the early ones as I am sure as shared Ford wanted these cars in the hands of high profile racers. The what wins on Sunday sells on Monday mindset was big in advertising then.

A pilot in Vietnam could have or any American service member then ordered a car through the PX service in Da'Nang or Saigon and picked it up stateside upon the return home to the Continental United States or CONUS or better yet as it was commonly called the "World"

Hope that helps. There is a guy in Wisconsin Bob Perkins that is a guru on these cars and has loads of information. Google him and either email or call him and he will share his knowledge.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Zipppo