Sign in to follow this  
very fat and very dumb

Stangersite

Has anybody used this guy lately? He does great work but last time I sent him parts he had them for a while. He wouldn't return phone calls nor did he answer his phone. I'm restoring another car and need some steering parts rebuilt so I've called him twice and no return phone calls. I'm not going through that again.

Is there anyone else who is more dependable or at least somewhat responsive?

Actually it's StangersSite.

What do you need to rebuild?

I rebuild my own steering boxes and power steering pumps. They are not that hard to do.

Control valves are a pain in the ass so I don't touch those.

Proportioning valves are not that hard to do. They need to be clean clean clean. Run a reamer thought them by hand to verify no burs. And then reassemble with new seals

Bob

I used Randy at StangersSite for my steering system rebuild based on previous comments. I have also used Dan at Chocko for other parts and if I could do it over again I would have sent it to Dan without question.

The consensus is that Randy does do good work, but the turnaround times and communication is poor at best. as you seem to have also experienced. Took me almost three years to get my parts back. Long after I had already started looking for replacements parts as I needed to start putting my car back together. No real chance for any follow up support or warranty work of any kind if you need it as you cannot get in touch with him.

Nothing against Randy, but unless you have no issue waiting several years for your parts and wondering if they'll even come back, not sure why you wouldn't go somewhere else. Dan has always been quick to fill orders and answer questions and I am actually planning to buy my steering box from him as Randy stated mine was not repairable and did not send my core back after I requested it.

Chockostang is who I went with.

I thought I was going to rebuild mine and when I got it off I saw I had some reproduction parts so he happily took back the rebuild kit and sent me the complete parts I needed.