Sign in to follow this  
70fastbak

Restoring tail light buckets

I have taken apart several 69s and have never seen the inside of the tail light buckets painted white. I have seen a few painted silver over rust but I am certain that was not original

I restored the tail light buckets on my 69 convertable that we have had since only 30k miles. The car was unmolested and nearly all original ( but now had about 180k on it)

I had the tail light buckets cad plated and they came out beautiful

Bob

I paint white or silver, depending on what is most easy to grab from the paint rack.

Either color will help with a brighter tail light than unpainted steel. My 70 is silver and is sharper in color, my 69 is painted white and is a warmer glow. - If that description is of any use at all - haha.

I have some chrome paint which I am keen to try, next time I have the buckets off. I actually bought two different chrome paints, and one was very poor.

The Motospray Chrome Coat, however, was surprisingly good. It sprayed on smooth and beautiful consistency, almost instant liquid. It certainly looks like chrome - unpolished, but very nice finish.

I had some surface rust on the inside of a repop rear bumper for my 68 Camaro. After cleaning off the rust I needed something approaching a chrome finish. WAY BETTER than any silver paint.

I guess you must decide on function, with a bright reflector surface, or 'concours', with the 'correct' color and finish.