Sign in to follow this  
ashleesmach1

Changing transmissions

MY car is 69 mach 1 351W4V with A FMX

I'm thinking of going to a lighter trans like a C4 or Something with more gears. The engine is warm up a bit so I need the trans to be strong and reliant. I think something along the street/strip lines should be ok. Can you guys recommend something. I will also need a recommendation on the converter as well. maybe a trans / converter pkg.

oh I it want to stay automatic ok:)

Thanks

Also, is your FMX acting up? Are you looking for a trans that is built up to tolerate high horse power? In stock form, up through 1997 when the 351W stopped being used, a larger automatic trans was always coupled with the 351W. I conclude, in stock form, the C4, AOD, and 4R70 are not suited for the 351W. This is my opinion, and I know others will disagree. To the best of my knowledge the 351W was coupled with an FMX, C6, or later E4OD.

I guess I got lucky with my AOD and headers. But then, they are FPA's too. B.

Hello Bruce

Really nice bottom view of your car and lot of hard work also I am sure.

Is your AOD build with all the upgrades like added clutches to the clutch packs

and improved oiling etc. or is it stock? What year AOD did you go with?

The reason for the questions is I have an AOD I think is out of a early 80's

f 150. I was told that the only difference is the VB, some improved oiling, and the later AOD's had some reinforcement on the case. Which all the upgrades can be done to the early AOD with the except of the case reinforcement of course. I know that the truck tail shaft is longer which doesn't matter anyway I guess because I don.t have a drive shaft anyway at this point so will have to find one that will work or make one. One final question is do you think there is any advantage of using the cast drums that's in mine verses the stamped drums in the later years? Car will never see a drag strip but might experience some spirited driving on occasions. Mostly will just be a cruiser.

Dave

Forgot to mention engine will be a mild 351W.